Astor Hotel
Hotel Metro(Milwaukee)
The Pfister Hotel(Milwaukee)
  • Room Service
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Built in the 20s, the Astor has charm that most hotels do not. The lobby is beautiful, the room was perfect, and the location was great. The only thing I want crazy about was the hallway had kind of an odd scent.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We waited too late to book several rooms for a conference in Milwaukee and ended up here. Although the website lists air conditioned rooms, they were not (nor heated). Even with my windows open, I burned up all night while a coworker froze to death, and they were out of portable heaters for use. As I type this, there is a clothes dryer running a couple of doors from my room and it's louder than my television. No sound insulation whatsoever. If there are ANY people talking in the hallway, it's like they're in your room and talking loudly. My hair dryer doesn't work and the floor is scary - glad I have socks to wear! I was the only person in the bar/restaurant for most of the previous evening and wish I'd gone somewhere else to eat. Charm? Perhaps. Just not worth the negatives! Can't wait to check out & move to a hotel by the airport.

Room Tip: Away from any laundry facilities.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Lisa I
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at the Astor for a conference. It was reasonable in price and just off the beaten path. But only a mile to downtown. The rooms were clean and had a vintage feel. Which I loved. The best part of my experience was the customer service. Everyone from the desk staff to the waitresses were friendly and helpful. I especially enjoyed the complimentary shuttle. The driver Brian was a true delight. He was friendly, timely, and made my experience of getting around in the cold that much easier. The Astor would be lucky to have ten more just like him. If you are looking for updated luxury the Astor may not be for you. But if you want a vintage feel and lots of charm, it's a true gem in an otherwise industrial landscape.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here for a quick visit (1 night). I also wanted to check it out in case we wanted to use for an upcoming wedding. The hotel has its charms - loved the historic door and the rooms had a historic yet somewhat updated feel.

Downsides came with the rooms not being soundproof at all. You could hear everything going on in the halls (those historic doors seemed to act as amplifiers). And could hear everything in next room - and it wasn't the TV.

The bathroom shower was not up to good quality. And my room bathroom backed up to laundry machines that seems to run late night/early morning.

Hotel is also extended-rent rooms, I believe -- made for a different feel with meeting people in elevator, etc.

Will likely not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank gogosona
Reviewed 13 November 2013

You know you are in someplace special when the door to the room has a regular old key and double sided doors where the dry cleaned clothing was left when returned to its rightful owner. Plenty of hot water, comfortable bed and in the room satelite TV (Internet was included). And several blocks away from Lake Michigan. Would do it again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo