“Meh. A place to sleep.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Charlotte
“Meh. A place to sleep.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We arrived for a one night stay and found the hotel easily. Check-in was smooth, however when we got to our room it was really warm and the ac unit in the window was loud and didnt really cool our room. The hotel is walking distance from the hipster part of town, which was nice. However, the loads of spiders in our room didnt help me to get any sleep :(.

The hotel has vintage charm, and worth the stay if youre willing to put up with lackluster amenities.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sneek, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We, that's my wife and me, made another travel through the USA and decided to see Milwaukee. Since it's a city of brewers we thought it might be fun. And....we were not disapointed at all!
The Astor hotel is the one nearest to Brady Street; all nice bars and restaurants. At the river side of Brady Street there's also the Lakeview micro brewery which is nice to have a drink and/or a meal; Very decent food for a decent price.
Even better is taking the tour to the Pabst experience 'Best place Milwaukee'. It is such a fun place, run by beer lovers! Also visiting the Pabst mansion is a very good experience since it's a stunning mansion and the tour guides are really wonderful.
Tip; don't take the tour through the Miller brewery; there is no heart and no soul. They do make some decent beers by the way....
The Astor Hotel has a VERY nice and helpful staff. The building itself has a soul and has aged mildly. Others might argue that it's rundown but hey, it's no new built five star place from easy-to-maintain materials.
We had a perfect bed, a good shower etc. and a coffeemaker in the room. Everything is clean. The hotel runs a shuttle bus and they'll take you anywhere you want WITHOUT CHARGING ANYTHING EXTRA!
You can have breakfast in the hotel (not included in the price) but I would recommend 'Brewed' on Brady street. They serve a really nice ' waffle with the works'. Oh, it's also very near the festival area near the lake and the Milwaukee art museum, which is very impressive too.

Room Tip: Any room will do I suppose.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PaulHartog
Eastern Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Please note: I asked one lady who was staying at the Hotel Astor what she thought and she said she loved it. She said she loves old things.

I would advise you to avoid if possible. I've stayed in old "renovated" hotels that were fun to stay in with an 'old grand elegance' charm. Unfortunately that is not the case here, unless you call plastic horizontal mini-blinds an upgrade. Those blinds were in my bathroom window. Hotel maintenance replace one pane of glazing in the bathroom with ordinary glass, not frosted. The bathroom window is double hung casement type, top pane is frosted the bottom is clear.

Poor lighting in the rooms but you do receive a self-serve coffee set. Trouble is, there is not a convenient electrical outlet to plug the coffee pot in. There is a 4 inch rise from the bedroom to the bathroom and I stubbed my toes at least twice.

Apartments? If you stay in a hotel that offer live-in apartments be weary, be very weary! Very pungent spices were evident as soon as I entered the elevator. My room was on the 6th floor. I had wished for incense to burn to mask the smell of apartment life cooking in un-ventilated spaces.

Two high points were the water pressure at the shower head and breakfast in the morning. The server was great, coffee was hot and the omelette and hash brown were very good. Location is good as well. Walk several blocks down Juneau Ave. to the park that sits on a hill above Lake Michigan.

Bartender Jake is a nice guy.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Terrible experience. Dirty, not maintained, air conditioning not working well, gaps in the windows with Air conditioner. Worst lodging experience I ever had. Elevator got stuck fire dept had to come and rescue people from it. Waited 1/2 hr at reception desk to get service.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Denny W
Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My daughter was recently married and we had the wedding reception at the Astor. We blocked 25 rooms. The hotel is not new or renovated, but clean and the staff of the hotel is very accommodating. Our problems came two days before the wedding reception when there was a water leak from a shower in one of the apartments above the banquet room. They were very slow to stop the leak, clean up the water, and dry out the carpet. The maintenance staff was still attempting to dry the carpet an hour before guests were to arrive. Luckily, the majority of guests did not know anything was wrong, except for the people sitting on the wet carpet area. The food was excellent, the bar service was ample, and everyone had a great time. Would have been less stressful if the Banquet Manager would have been more attentive and gotten the maintenance staff working quicker. Many of us ate breakfast several days in the dining room. Food was great but the staff was overworked and the silverware was dirty. The Astor could be so much better with a little attention to details!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Richmond VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Astor Hotel was the first place I stayed in Milwaukee when I arrived. I ended up staying three times. My first visit was four nights in a rather small room. However I was not in the room much and it was clean, quiet and dark so I got a good sleep. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast at the hotel restaurant was great and fairly inexpensive. The neighborhood is fantastic with a short walk to Juneau Park over looking the Lake and short walks to many great restaurants. The only complaint was the size of my room and if there had been any other problems I might not have come back. The second stay was 10 nights and I was glad I came back. Had a very spacious room this time and since I was in my room more due to staying over the weekend I was very happy to have the extra space. They were installing the window air conditioners as the weather was getting nicer as summer approached. I would highly recommend the Astor if you are on a budget but try to get a bigger room if you will be in it enough to appreciate the extra space.

Room Tip: Choose a room with two queen beds rather than a single king and the more nights you book the more l...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Built in the 20s, the Astor has charm that most hotels do not. The lobby is beautiful, the room was perfect, and the location was great. The only thing I want crazy about was the hallway had kind of an odd scent.

• Stayed May 2014