“Astor Hotel is Just Fine!”
Review of Astor Hotel

Astor Hotel
Ranked #49 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I stayed at the Astor this past weekend for a wedding. After reading some of the older reviews, I was ready to reserve a room at the inn across the street. But was pleased that more recent reviews mentioned the hotel was slowly being updated, so we stayed at the Astor and were very happy we did. When I made the reservation, I requested an updated room and received one. The room was large and very nice, with new carpet, drapes, wall paint, lamps, and bed linens, as well as a freshened bathroom (with Aveda soap!). My family stayed in the older rooms, but had no major complaints. The room was a bit warm, but opening the window took care of that.
There was a problem with the bathroom sink draining, and it was addressed immediately. The on-site restaurant food was very good, and service was excellent. The Astor is a real find, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 September 2009

A friend and I got a room at the Astor for a wedding this past weekend.

The lobby is gorgeous, as we checked in a grandfather clock chimed in the distance and I felt giddy. "I think I heard this place is haunted," Britt said and I gave her a big thumbs up. How exciting, I imagined a stunning society beauty in a satin gown shooting her cheating lover. In retrospect, if the Astor is haunted it is probably by a rumpled sad sack who hanged himself in one of the dank closets.

As we stepped out of the elevator onto the 6th floor, we both seemed to hesitate a bit. It was kind of like the game Mystery Date, you open the little door in the middle of the game board assuming you're going to get the guy in the white tux with the flowers, but instead you get the loser in the gross trench coat.

The hallways were dark and long and had a fog of dread about them. "This is kind of creepy," Britt understated. Our room was a suite with a full kitchen, it was absolutely huge. I poked around in the cupboards, and assumed that some of them were just for show and didn't open. Actually, they did open with a hearty pull and nauseating sticky smack. Britt, who did not poke around in the kitchen, said that we should buy some eggs and just make breakfast there in the morning. No, I thought. No we should not.

The room was musty and smelled odd. It was also too warm. I walked over to the a/c unit which was yellowed and propped in a window on a piece of wood. The plastic on the cooling button was broken from years of thumb nails begging for cool air.

"Ahhhh!" Britt yelled. "What?" I asked. "This iron just leaked water on my dress!" As she went to use the hair dryer on the damp spot I looked at the face of the iron and it was all scratched. What on earth could one be ironing that would do that? A porcupine?

The carpeting was dirty and there was one truly impressive russet stain in the dining room. "I think someone gave birth over here," I called over my shoulder. Later that night, barefoot, I would experience the crunchy astroturf feel of the carpet. That, was disgusting.

Britt and I were both exhausted, so we went to bed around midnight. I pulled the sheet and blanket up to my chin and was rewarded with an instant hive on my jaw. Jesus, what is this blanket made out of, horse hair?? I wondered as I peeled it off and bundled myself in the sheet. Then I just felt itchy, all I could think of was bed bugs. Surprisingly enough, there weren't any.

I got up to close the blinds in the dining room because they were letting in the light. "What are you doing?" Britt asked. "Closing the blinds, too much light," I answered gritting my teeth with each step on the prickly carpet. "I already closed them, honey," she responded. And I turned back to see the wide fan of light spread across the bed. Even closed, the light from the building next door shone through the blinds. Sigh. "Ok, well, I will sleep with my back to the window."

We woke up early, both having slept poorly. We had the complimentary continental breakfast, and got out of there.

Today, just for kicks I googled the Astor and read the horrifying reviews. I laughed especially hard at some of the titles preceding the reviews. My two favorites were "Creeptastical!" and "The Shining."

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank AliceSycamore
Reviewed 21 July 2009

After staying and writing about the Astor in 2004, we returned in 2009 to find it even better! The rooms and suites are being updated and will include wireless internet in the rooms when complete. Right now wireless is available in the lobby and breakfast room. The hallways are brighter and the whole place just seems better. It is a 1920's era hotel so the bathrooms have been maintained with tile of that era. We booked a suite for a week at very reasonable rate and it included a kitchen and dining area so we were very comfortable. The breakfast choices have expanded to include cereals, toaster waffles, mini bagels, donuts, breads, yogurt, juices and coffee. However, after 9 a.m. the cereals may be gone and are not replenished for the later arrivals. Atlanta-Traveler/Writer now MollieB-Dallas

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WriterTraveler
Reviewed 22 May 2009

This hotel is making a come back the rooms are being remodled and I got to see one while I was there, Flat screen t.v's, comfortable bedding, warm tones very nice in a old hotel. The staff was very helpful. The bar was comfortable and very reasonable for a downtown local. The food was amazing bacon wrapped filet was delish!! Cut with a butter knife. Parking is ample and very resonable. Was there for a wedding the ballroom is elegant and the banquet food was wonderful as well. Hotel is in a neighborhood and is with in walking distance to the lake front. Very Quiet and relaxing stay. Everything at your finger tips.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We loved the accomodations and the service was outstanding. We were in town for business (conducting benefit auctions) and the location and charm of the Astor exceeded our expectations. As an added bonus, my son and I are training for a marathon in June...so we took a five mile run along Lake Michigan which is very close to the Astor. Great location, great room and great service!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Hotel rooms are in the process of being redone.
Much cleaner property since my last visit.
Upgrading internet, etc.
New management is taking the update seriously.
Location is one of the best in the city.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at the Astor Hotel for four nights that seemed like a week and I can think of a great many better ways to throw away $500.00!

After seeing our room for the first time we asked to be moved but were told that the hotel was fully booked and no other rooms were available.

The property is aged but there was absolutely no reason for the filthy condition of the room, hallways and elevators. I don't think our carpet had seen a vacuum in weeks. The air conditioner was very loud and innefficient and could not keep up with the warm and humid outside temperatures. Having an eighth floor room reverified that heat does indeed rise. Wallpaper was literally hanging off the walls in our room and mold at the base of the toilet was clearly visible. The only services provided by the room houskeeper were clean towels and a half remade bed. We did not get any housekeeping services at all on one day of our stay and we had to get our own towels.

It took a full ten minutes for the shower water to get warm but I must admit it was adequately hot after that.

The restaurant air conditioning broke down and attempting to eat there was impossible.

The only positive aspect of our stay was the fact that the Astor offered a free shuttle to any other location within two miles of the hotel and getting out of there when we could was a blessing.

We were there as part of a larger group and felt a need to stay and "tough it out" with the rest of the rest of them but did look into moving out.

We discovered that we had arrived at the start of Summer Fest and would not have been able to find other accomodations anywhere in Milwaukee even if we had wanted to move out after the first night.

I heard many of my friends in our group complaining about similar issues with their rooms at what came to be called the "Disaster Astor" but we were all a captive audience there!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business