“Not worth the price” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Union Grove, Wisconsin
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

This was my first time staying here, and I had high expectations, as it is supposed to be a primier luxury hotel. The lobby and elevators are impressive, but not for those afraid of heights. The room was clean but very small, especially for a King size bed. The bed takes up half the room. The bathroom is also too small. Ordered room service in the morning and the portions were very tiny. 20 bucks gets you a 3 oz. sirloin. Was impressed with the concierge service. I could not find the number to my favorite sandwich shop and the concierge was able to order it for me and have it delivered to my room. Its a nice hotel but way overpriced.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank brewers22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

We were locked out of our room one evening..neither of our keys would work. My friend was under a great time pressure, as she needed to get her belongings out of the room and take them across the skyway ramp to the Convention Center and set up for a large show that was taking place that evening. The Assistant Front Office Manager, Aaron, came up with the master key only to find out it wouldn't work either. After we explained the critical time frame that we were in, he very quickly called the engineer who had to reprogram the door (which seemed to take an eternity). Aaron was very effective at "chatting" with us, asking about the show and our roles there, all in an effort to appease our nerves while we watched time tick away. Once the engineer had reprogrammed the door, Aaron asked if he could help by taking our heavy cart across the skyway to the Convention Center for us. We gratefully accepted his offer. Much later, after the show, we returned to our room to find a very nice note from him, apologizing again, and there on our table was a plate of appetizers, bread and bubble water for us to enjoy. We were so impressed with how he handled the situation and were thrilled to have the light late night snack. Thank you for Aaron.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

we stayed there one night thankfully. we had a room at the end of the hallway after upgrading ' a room with a view'. the room smelled musty, it was clean, the bathroom is too small for comfort, and we could hear our neighbors doing their business in theirs. the room itself is small. when we checked in we were given complimentary coupons for the bistro. we went to the bistro for breakfast - 2 kids, 2 adults and showed our waiter the coupons we got from the front desk - it turned out to be the most expensive breakfast we've had for what we got: : the waiter told us what we could get for free with the coupons - we ordered it - and had to end up paying for it because he mistook the complimentary coupons for complimentary breakfast entree. the coupons were for drinks. apparently not all guests receive the same coupons. we won't be returning to that hotel...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank WisconsinButterfly
Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

I had heard this was a premier hotel in Milwaukee. Booked a room to attend a craft event being held in an events center llinked by a skywalk to this hotel. What a disappointment. We'll start with no email reservation confirmation as promised. (They had my correct email for the thank you that was sent.) The room decor was stark and unwelcoming. Thebathroom lighting was dim and the shower conection leaked. You'd better be in good shape to sprint into the elevator. Chances are you will not be standing in front of the one of four elevators that is only open for about 5 seconds before it's gone. The restaurant/bar area was not appealing both in what they had to offer or decor. Try to find a bottle or carton of milk for that upset stomach or to quench your thirst even though this is the dairy state. You'll have to sit down and order it in the restaurant. Speaking of food, better have plenty of cash on hand when you run down to get some quick breakfast (no milk) to bring up to you room. It's cash only at the "continental breakfast bar". Maybe I'd would have known better if there had been a directory of services and amenities booklet in my room as is the custom for the 50 or 60 hotels that I stay in each year. I'll bet they couldn't find my room when the desk clerk said they'd send one right up. You'll also need plenty of cash for parking. The parking structure utilized by this hotel doesn't understand what 24 hour parking is so you'll be overcharged like I was with no refund. And lastly, do we really want empty pizza boxes and piles of cigarette butts littering the main entrance to a "premier" hotel as you walk in? Like I said, not impressed. I know you can do much better at a cheaper hotel. I have.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank WisconsinRanger
Fairlawn, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Tongue in cheek, the ride of terror refers to the glass elevators that I rode multiple times daily to my room on the 17th floor. The other passengers were very kind and let me stand by the door with my back to the view. Okay, now that my agoraphobia is out of the way, I really enjoyed my stay here.

I had booked 6 months in advance for a convention and received the 2 queen room I had requested, but was upgraded to a high floor view of the city and the Regency Club, as I am a platinum member. I loved the club, because I was not eating much, and I could have my little bowl of oatmeal or an egg white fritatta, grab my juice and coffee and head out.

My room was clean and very spacious. I had planned on traveling with a friend, which is why I went with the two double beds. After she could not come, I didn't want to change my reservation and lose the good rate that I got. It turned out to be nice. I could use the second bed to put my "stuff" from the convention and classes. Even with two beds there was lots of floor space, except in the bathroom. That is definitely a "one person at a time" bathroom. The tile walls and floor were new and it was very nice. Just a bit cozy.

Like in the last Hyatt I stayed in, I missed that there wasn't a hassock to put up your feet when you sat in the chair. The desk was very nice and functional, with a row of power outlets right next to it. The chair was adjustable and comfortable. There was a small but adequate closet and a nice roomy dresser which easily held my week's worth of clothing.

The staff was friendly and accommodating, especially RJ from the bell staff, and Crystal from Housekeeping and everyone in the Regency Lounge. The parking has already been discussed, so I won't add to that. My room was freshened daily. No new sheets during the week, but I didn't really need them I guess.

I ate often at the hotels restaurant and bar. When the bar staff brings you a menu, it has drinks and a few food items in it. There is a complete bar menu available but you have to ask for it. There is also a complete dessert menu, but again you have to ask for it. Most of the food was good. Some of it was excellent - fish and chips, mac and cheese, sauteed spinach. Sadly, one dish was inedible - the fried chicken. I could imagine Gordon Ramsey screaming at the chef who cooked this. There was not one bit of spice in the egg wash/flour coating. Not even salt or pepper. It was like eating flour. Ugh. I hope that was just one chef on an off night.

I also had breakfast and lunch at the restaurant and it was uniformly good and well presented. The lamb sliders were out of this world.

I ate across the street at the King and I Thai restaurant and also had 2 delicious meals at Coquette Cafe in the Third Ward and another at the restaurant at the Art museum.

Free wireless access in the lobby only.

Room Tip: Consider an upgrade to Regency Club access.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MilwaukeeHyatt, Manager at Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Thank you so much for your review! It is travelers like you that make all of us at Hyatt Regency Milwaukee continue to exceed expectations and make hospitality service a pleasure. If you have further comments, or the hotel can be of service, please contact Jack Allison, Director of Sales at jack.allison@hyatt.com.
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I just attended a conference at this hotel and was pleasantly supprised by the attention I received from all of the hotel staff. They went above and beyond to make sure my stay was pleasant. I usually do not see this in a large hotel chain. The hotel itself was clean and pleasntly decorated. The conference facilities were good except for the chairs provided, which could have been more comfortable. The hotel made room transitions very quickly and helped keep the conference on timetable.
Even though the hotel had their own restaurant, the staff were great recommending other local restaurants and activities.
I would love to go back to this location for a conference anytime.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank baybottom
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

This hotel is pretty no frills for a 3.5 star hotel (or 4 star on some websites). There’s no character to the building but everything is clean and the staff is friendly. It's one of these hotels that strips out all the nonessentials from the hotel experience so they can charge a much lower rate but then tries to sell you things that would make this a 3 to 4 star experience. Overall a good value and good location.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple