“Went for 21st bday :)”

Ranked #20 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, IL
“Went for 21st bday :)”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I came to the hotel for my 21st bday. It was more of an intimate celebration as it was just my boyfriend and I. He was already familiar with Milwaukee because he attended college at Marquette University (in the immediate vicinity of the hotel), so I had an up there; he knew all the good places :)

When we first checked in it was maybe a little after 1am. My boyfriend and traveled up to the 14th (I forgot exactly what floor) to keep on trying to open the room with the keycard only to have it keep blinking red or yellow. My boyfriend went down to see if the keycards we had were faulty. No luck again. Until someone popped out of the room with tired eyes saying "Hey guys, we're trying to sleep". Imagine the look of embarrassment on our faces :) They gave us the wrong room and we disturbed another couple's rest. We waiting on our floor (we called from the hallway phone) for the new room assignment and keycards. It took about 15 minutes but she came back up with the new room assignment and a genuinely apologetic demeanor. We were compensated with two coupons with free breakfast buffets. Honestly, we wanted a pricecut from our room; we were quite irritated but I couldn't stay mad and I understand mistakes happen. It was worth it :) (Go to 333 btw, the breakfast buffet was so delicious and Brendan is the best waiter)

So, cutting to the chase... :)

The room was quite amazing. For a hotel standard like Hyatt, they really deliver with the quality of the rooms. The design was fresh and modern, everything was clean. My boyfriend and I got the king size bed. It was comfortable, although after checking out my back was a bit sore because I like softer beds---it was a bit too firm for me. The view was amazing. We had a nice, long and rectangular window overlooking downtown Milwaukee :) It was nice to come back to after a long day. They provide a plasma TV with basic kind of channels. There is no fridge or microwave (I wish more hotels would have at least a fridge). The bathroom was beautifully designed.

In terms of outside the room, the layout of the entire hotel is pretty interesting and eclectic, architecturally. The entire inside facade is exposed as the centerpoint is just a big open drop space. For those who don't like heights, I give you fair warning haha :) The elevators are glass so you can see out it as you go up and down which is cool. There is a lovely lounge area with plush seating, large tvs, and a bar adjacent.

We had a rental car but, my boyfriend being a Milwaukee/Marquette veteran we walked to a lot of nice places around. For instance there are bar and restaurant districts that are a walk away, some a little farther for those more ambitious. In terms of malls, I would steer clear from the mall on Grand; it's an abandoned mall, with no real interesting shopping experiences. Go to Mayfair, much more bustle and good buys :)

I like to stay away from hotels that I see as just a rest stop/pit stop. I'd rather not stay at an average hotel just because there are no other options. Hotels that I feel comfortable to stay after a long night and just simply enjoy staying in are ones I love; the ones that go the extra mile and the ones that have a great design and ambiance. This is an above average hotel that I would love to stay in again and again :D Thank you for a wonderful 21st!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Although our stay here was rather uneventful -- the room was a little loud, but otherwise ok -- I will never stay here again. Two days after checking out, my credit card was charged $250.00. When I called to clear up the obvious error, I was told that I had been smoking in the room and was fined as a result. My fiance and I absolutely did not smoke in the room. I explained this to several people at the Hyatt and assumed I would be believed. No, apparently the Hyatt does not believe customers who assure them that they were absolutely not smoking in the room. I was told that they had "evidence" in the form of pictures that would confirm that I was smoking. I asked if I could see the pictures and was told no, but I could subpoena them. I was also never told what the pictures showed, despite asking. I am furious and will never stay at a Hyatt again.

1 Thank kateandgrace
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 August 2010

The staff was simply rude and incompotent the bathroom was so small that you couldn't move. The room smelled. The housekeeping staff could not understand "do not disturb". There were nats everywhere including my bathroom.I'm not sure if this hotel is really a Hyatt as it did not appear to meet any of their normal standards, especially for the price.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Faulkner8251
northern Michigan
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We used this hotel as a base from which to explore Milwaukee. It was walking distance to the Historic Third Ward, Milwaukee Art Museum and downtown. We had a nice view of the river and the lake in the distance.
Valet parking was expensive. Disappointed that internet was not free but not surprised.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2010

The Hyatt is a lovely hotel no doubt about that. Rooms are clean and modern, the beds are really comfortable.

Downstairs the lobby is very chic and relaxed. The bathroom and bedroom was clean and quiet there was little to fault.

The main problems were the lack of free wi-fi which you would come to expect in a hotel such as this. Also the lack of complimentary breakfast.

But also, we have stayed at a few Milwaukee hotels, and this hotels staff are not as flexible and friendly. They would not offer a shuttle to the Amtrack station whereas others such as the Raddison were really helpful and flexible in helping the customer out.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this hotel. There are nicer, friendlier places with breakfast and wifi for less money if not the same amount!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We just returned from a 4 nt stay at this Hyatt. It was quite good, location is ideal for the Riverwalk, free trolley that takes you all over the city, restaurants (Italian and Thai Palace right across the st are both great) etc.
Comments on the hotel- clean and quiet (we were on the 10th floor) but I agree that the atrium design is not created for a quiet time. We ran the fan to drown out any noise and also were there midweek for our 1st 3 nts so that was not so busy. Sat nt it got very busy and consequently loud noise could be heard now and again. Also housekeeping not as attentive on Sat.

Comments on parking- valet charges $23 per 24 hr . It was pouring when we checked in so we opted for valet, and did not need the car the next day. However when we asked the valet if they'd tell us where our car was parked because we needed a couple items from it, they would not tell us and just said they could bring it over for us. We searched for the car and finally found it in a lot a block and a half away. The rate there was $12 per 24 hours!! Of course we moved it the next day. So...if you have the opportunity you may want to check nearby lots -you'll save a lot of $$ by doing so.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 June 2010

As a frequent business traveler, there are things I can't excuse. Wifi is as basic as running water. You can't charge extra for it. That said, I keep coming back to the hyatt.

I need a decent desk and chair for business travel. I've had better, but these are above average. I could use a better desk lamp, but it is satisfactory. I enjoy the ability to connect my laptop to the television with a variety of connections.

The king size bed was excellent, with 6 small pillows and fresh white sheets, including sheets covering the comforter. Nothing makes me happier than 100% immaculate white bedding. A comfortable club chair rounded out the furnishings nicely.

The basic bathroom was clean with solid shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and toothpaste (I may have just switched brands).

• Stayed July 2010