“Excellent location”

Knickerbocker on the Lake
Ranked #40 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The hotel is perfectly located between Downtown and Eastside Milwaukee, Clean rooms.. The Lobby can be improved. corridors carpets needs to be changed as it does look old and dated. otherwise an excellent choice to be in downtown Milwaukee.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MJ682014

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We spent one Saturday night at this wonderful historic hotel with modern amenities. 6 of us in a roomy 2 bedroom apartment with full kitchen. Spent time catching up in the large living room with Flat screen TV and made some of our own appetizers in the microwave and oven, with cocktails before heading out to bars and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank OCKaren
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here because a block of rooms were reserved for a wedding we were attending.

The first impression of the hotel is that it is very nice. I walked through the main entrance and looked for the registration desk. There are signs, so I followed them, which led me to a teeny tiny built-in counter with a woman sitting behind it. The sign saying "registration" showed an arrow as if there were another area beyond this teeny tiny counter. I asked, "Is this registration?" and the response I got was rather patronizing. I ignored it. I asked if we could check in early and was told that the good news was yes, we could check in early but the bad news was that there wasn't any parking available in the lot. There was a lengthy, convoluted explanation as to how we could manage parking on a Saturday with about 4 hours left while the parking meters were still in effect, while we tried to attend the wedding. "Park the car...move after two hours...then there are only two more hours left for valid meter parking..then move the car..." It was as if I was hearing a skit from Saturday Night Live about a bad hotel experience.

The room was a suite, I suppose, because it included a small refrigerator, sink and stove, which we did not use. There was a double-sized bed (small), a sofa and a large chair. They tried to make a very old room look modern through bedding, window treatments and pictures, but the fact is, this is an old hotel that smells old. The bathroom was teeny-tiny, but very clean and well maintained.

There was just one mirror in the room, and it was in the bathroom. No full-length mirror, which would have been handy considering we were going to a wedding, and two of us were trying to get ready.

I wanted to check out other amenities that might be available in the hotel, but the pages of that information were missing from the hotel book kept in the room.

Given a choice, I probably would not stay here again, unless the room rate was teeny tiny, and even then I'd most likely spend the bigger bucks and go someplace where the staff is a little friendlier, the hotel a bit better smelling and where, when I leave, I feel I got a pretty good experience for the money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank one4wanderlust
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband and I were planning a weekend getaway and we decided on the the Knickerbocker. The pictures on their website looked great, so we booked it for Friday and Saturday. When we walked in the hotel it seemed charming, but when we got to our suite not so. The room's are very run down and need updating. The bathroom was not good at all. It was very old and it did not look like it was cleaned very well. Since we had a suite, it had a working kitchen. The floors in the kitchen were sticky, not sure what from, plus it smelled like mold. We decided to only stay for one night and leave on Saturday, because we did not feel comfortable. The hotel did refund us for the Saturday night and seemed not surprise that we were leaving. The hotel itself is in a nice location downtown, close to the lake and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel itself really needs some TLC.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donna A
Reviewed 11 September 2013

If you are looking for great hotel services, this is not it! If you like the feel of staying in your Aunt Mary's apartment in Milwaukee, this is perfect. A little shabby but serviceable. The baths could use some updating as could the furnishings. The housekeeping services are spotty, you can get everything you need if you ask but the service is not consistent on a daily basis. If feels a bit like an old residence hotel vs. a "real" hotel, but we like that! Fantastic location near the lake, great dining in the building and close by and easy parking (they charge extra for that). Terrible internet service. Lovely bath products.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank FunTravelerForSure
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I often stay at the Knickerbocker when I visit my son in Milwaukee. Every time I've gone, the staff has been friendly and attentive, the rooms clean and the atmosphere... I feel like I've stepped back in time to an era when gentlemen tipped their bowler hats to ladies wearing long white gloves. This is a classic city hotel with the bonus of being next to Lake Michigan. I look forward to my next trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DaisyJaneIowa
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We booked our room at The Knickerbocker because there were literally no other rooms available in Milwaukee due to the NML convention in town. The photos on line looked good so we decided to take a chance. Don't be fooled. The photos do not represent the property accurately. As we made our way to our room and got off the elevator and walked down the hallway we smelled urine immediately. We should've turned back at that point but, we didn't have another option so we continued on to our room. We opened the door to find a space that looked like it had been furnished with findings of some random garage sale! The furniture was old, warn and didn't coordinate at all. They were even using a wooden stool as an end table for the sofa in the living area. Classy. The huge bleach stain on the carpet in the same room looked as if it could be the scene of some past homicide! I walked into the kitchen, I noticed personal notes from the previous occupant held with a magnet on the fridge. In the bedrooms it was more of the same. More garage sale type furniture and the quilt on the master bed wasn't even large enough to completely cover the bed. Though we had a three night reservation, we stayed the one sleepless night we had to. Thankfully we found another room for the next two. Take my advise and avoid this property! YUCK!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family