“Had a GREAT experience, great hospitality.”

Knickerbocker on the Lake
Ranked #40 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
“Had a GREAT experience, great hospitality.”
Reviewed 3 October 2010

After reading other reviews I wondered what to expect. I found that what I read was not what happened. Our experience was great. The hotel has a unique atmosphere and was very welcoming. Our room was very clean and decorated tastefully. I found staff to be most helpful. This is a place you must visit so you can see the beauty that is really there. Thank you to all who made our visit a memorable experience.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BJandJJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We expected to get a reasonably attractive room with accommodations at least as equal to a Hampton or Marriott Courtyard. Instead, we felt like we stayed in the city of Hampton IN the courtyard. The rugs were dirty, the utensils were very dirty, the bathroom was SO old that the pipes were NEXT to the commode and sweating! I felt like we were staying in my Great Grandmother's house. The POWER went out in the room and when we called the front desk, they acted like it happened all the time and had to come up and reset it outside the room. We were on the back of the hotel near the dumpsters!

WORST of all, when we complained in email upon our return, the Proprieter did not have the descency to respond. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HELL HOLE!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 July 2010

The hag at the front desk immediately sets the tone for a bad experience. I made a same day reservation with her and she proceeded to hit me with all the negatives. "Don't even think about cancelling because you are within the cancellation policy." I wouldn't be making a same day reservation if I had any intent of cancelling. "Don't even think about checking in before three." I don't want to check in, I just want to store my bags.

In any event, I show up at the hotel and she won't get out of the chair to deal with me. Once again she tells me that my room isn't ready. Once again, I tell her that I just want to park and store my bags. She then proceeds to tell me she is sold out of parking and she can't store my bags.

I am on the hook for $160 per night (non-refundable) and I don't have a parking spot?

It gradually went further downhill from here. Stay far, far away from this place.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank HIWFP
Owatonna, MN
Reviewed 21 March 2010

The room/apartment was a little strange. The location is excellent. You can't get any closer to the lake. You should definitely have brunch at the hotel. I would stay here again. Just don't expect a true boutique hotel feel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
WI
Reviewed 26 February 2010

The website for this hotel was deceiving. We thought we were getting a suite that would be tastefully decorated like some of the photos. Maybe some of the rooms are nice, but we were in someone's apartment. Yes, it felt like we were intruding in an old great aunt's apartment. The decor was mismatched, not stylish, and old. Some stains were on the carpeting and furniture. Most of the light fixtures didn't work. The clocks didn't work. The bed was comfortable, but the linens and bedspread were worn. I wish we had asked for another room, but shortly after check in we had to leave to meet people. When we got back to the room late that night, there was loud music coming from the next apartment. We planned to stay two nights, but checked out early the next morning. I can't believe we stayed that one night. It felt weird to be there. They charged us for 2 nights of parking. It was way over priced for the quality of the room. The location is not bad, but we couldn't see the lake from our room. The front desk person wasn't friendly to my husband in the morning when he asked for change to buy a paper. Find another place to stay! Milwaukee has better choices.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
depere, WI
Reviewed 15 November 2009

Yes, the building is historic and some might call that charming, but this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The only good thing that I can say about it is that the mattress wasn't uncomfortable. We were told that they have limited parking, but they mean very limited! They sold out their parking spots by 1:00 pm when the original check in time is 4:00. Which left us driving around for 20 minutes during the afternoon trying to find a parking spot on the street right after checking in and 35 minutes later that night driving a 6 block area trying to find a street spot after returning from the wedding reception.

As others have said, each room is decorated different some with specific themes (I guess there is another positive about our stay--at least we weren't in the Nautical or Victorian themed room like other people we were with). They even have different fixtures and furniture. So this is just my perspective from our stay in room 619. The sink and faucet in the bathroom were higher quality when I lived in college dorms. There is no way to adjust the temperature in the room other than opening the window which is not a great option in Wisconsin during November. Our smoke detector wasn't attached to its holder attached to the ceiling, instead it was convienently stored on the shelf in the closet. They provided 4 total sad looking thin hotel usual pillows on the double bed, 2 of which were in decorative shams. I removed the decorative shams to use a second pillow only to find that there was a reason these pillows were shoved into shams. One had a gigantic yellow stain on it, the other had no pillow case at all just the ticking of the pillow that was yellowed from age. The walls of this hotel are paper thin. We got a chance to hear our neighbors come home at 2:30 am and have quite the after bar party. We could hear entire conversations clear as day even down to the beep of her cellphone everytime she receive text messages until about 3:45 am.

We will never be staying here again!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 29 August 2009

I stayed at the Knickerbocker Hotel for about a month while I was working in Milwaukee. It had an excellent location right off of the lake and close to downtown Milwaukee, walking distance to the Summerfest grounds, and a couple of blocks from the Metro Market, which was a very nice grocery supermarket part of the Roundy's chain. It was also very close to Cathedral Square Park which has jazz on Thursday nights in the summer and a couple of great restaurants nearby.

During the time, I actually had to live in two different hotel rooms since there wasn't one. I would recommend any person who is going to stay at the Knickerbocker to look at a couple of rooms if more than one are available. The rooms are all set up differently so if you don't like one, you can choose another. The first room I stayed at (room 804) was very quaintly decorated with carefully chosen antiques, an upright piano (with some sheet music if you play), books and games and lots of things to cook with in the kitchen. The second room I stayed at (room 521) was not as well decorated, in fact some of the furnishings were cheap quality, but it was extremely spacious and very bright and airy.

The Knickerbocker restaurant is located on the ground floor which is a nice amenity. I actually only ate there once during my one month stay because I cooked a lot in the kitchen in my hotel room. Brunch there was delicious and their outdoor seating was very relaxing.

I was able to save a lot of money during my stay at the Knickerbocker from all the meals I was able to cook and with being able to do my laundry which is available downstairs. It was only $1 to wash and $1 to dry which is really cheap compared with all of the apartment buildings and laundromats I've done my laundry at over the years.

The down side :
Internet access is horrible. It basically involves a cable that you hook your computer to. The cable is located in a really awkward spot, usually near the front door and you have to basically pull up a chair next to the door and balance your laptop on your lap. Not too convenient.

Being a "historic" hotel - this basically means that things in it are very old such as the elevators and the doors that require a real key. It ended up being very inconvenient one time when I was locked out of my hotel room and the hotel's master key didn't work so we actually had to wait for a locksmith to come and cut a new key for the door.

The halls are can be somewhat smelly I think because the building is old and there are people cooking.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business