“Frustrating Shuttle Service”

Ranked #45 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Frustrating Shuttle Service”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I spent one night at the Clarion and would say if you want a good hotel it is a great place to stay but if you are looking to use their shuttle service, beware. I chose the Clarion because it is right across from the airport and I figured the shuttle service would be quick. I could have found a cheaper alternative but the shuttle service was important to me. I arrived for a one night stay and was pleasantly surprised. It had been several years since I had stayed at this property and it seems things have gotten better. I was presented a bag upon check-in that had some coupons, two bottles of water, a tube of Carmex (my favorite). I got to my room and was pleased with the size of the bathroom (although the way the door opened presented some challenges, you cannot stand at the sink and leave the door opened, no big deal but a little inconvenient). Overall I was happy with the room. I went to the restaurant and ordered a sandwich to take back to my room, I indicated my order was "to go", expecting it would be delivered in a Styrofoam container. The waitress brought my food on a tray and I asked whether I could take that to my room. She was very pleasant and said that would be fine and I could just leave the tray outside my door when I was done. The sandwich was decent (the salted rye roll was a little too salty but overall the food was pretty good) and the service was great (from the waitress and bartender). The free breakfast left a little to be desired (really who eats donuts anymore?) but that was not the reason I chose The Clarion.

I had parked my car in the "secure" lot when I arrived at the hotel (not really sure what was secure about it. I thought it was in a gated area but it is just behind the hotel and anyone can access it) . In the morning I had a couple of things I needed to leave in my car and the shuttle van driver took me to my car. When I got back in the shuttle van it took us about 2 minutes and we were at the airport getting let off. All in all a pleasant experience, however, that changed on my way home.

I arrived back at the Milwaukee airport and got my luggage. I then followed the directions given to me by the hotel in regard to having the shuttle van pick me up. I proceeded out exit #4 to the shuttle van area. I looked at my watch and it was 2:25 PM. It was cold outside - about 20 degrees with 20 - 25 mile per hour wind out of the northeast. Like many travelers coming from warmer climates I did not take my winter coat along. I had on a sweater and a light jacket. I figured since the hotel was so close I could handle what I thought would be a 5 minute wait outside. After 10 minutes, my hands were numb and I was shaking due to how cold it was. I called the hotel and asked where the van was, I was told it was on it's way. Now remember, it only took us 2 minutes to get to the airport so I figured since the van was on it's way it would be there quickly, 7 minutes later I was still standing outside!! I called the hotel again, and was pretty upset. The desk clerk told me I could go back in the terminal and wait, although that was contrary to the directions provided earlier by the hotel. I had already been waiting almost 20 minutes and was not about to go into the terminal to wait and watch the shuttle van drive by when they did not see someone waiting to get picked up. The van finally arrived and the driver offered some lame excuse that he had to drop off a handicap van and exchange it for the van he was driving. Give me a break!! What, did he have to wash and vacuum the handicapped van? I cannot fathom how dropping off one vehicle and getting another takes about 20 minutes. I was ready to get a cab because I was so cold but the problem is cabs don't line up at the Milwaukee airport like they do at other airports. I would have had to call one and then wait for it to arrive (plus I did not think a cab driver would be too pleased about having a fare that was less than 1/2 long).

Needless to say if I am going to the airport I will not be staying at The Clarion. When I travel I want a quick, easy exit from the airport/Milwaukee area because I still have a 2 hour drive ahead of me.

Kind of interesting that I saw the Crowne Plaza shuttle van come through the airport twice while I was waiting and they are at least a mile away. Guess I need to check them out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sweetnis35
Joel K, Manager at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
First I would like to thank you for your kind comments with regard to the hotel and staff. It is a nice reassurance to hear that the customer service is in high regard. I would like you to please contact me at the hotel at 414-481-2400 so we can discuss the breakdown with regard to the shuttle service and picking you up at the airport.

Joel K.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stay here every year before leaving for our winter vacation. Usually we have early morning flights, so heading down the day before is a good choice. Don't have to get up at 1:00 a.m. To leave for the airport, worry about snowy or icy roads. There is a nice bar, great restaurant, which we always enjoy. The rooms have been renovated and are very nice. Parking and shuttle service to the airport is great, they are timely, friendly and helpful. Great value for the price. Oh yes, the donuts on the continental breakfast are the best!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Joel K, Manager at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for your kind words. Our stay and Park Package has always been a great convenience to our guests, and is still a top seller. We are in the final stages of our remodel. Thank you for the compliments.

Joel
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Friends of ours recommended the fish fry at the cork and clever restaurant. We had the fish fry and they have an all new menu and appetizers. Our server Cal was great, took time to go over the menu with us. Everyone there was polite and friendly made for a perfect night out.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words, its greatly appreciated. We have always prided ourselves on our level of Customer Service, both with the hotel as well as in our restaurant.

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We recently flew out of Milwaukee for a week long vacation. The flight was at 6:30 am so we wanted to stay close rather than having a two hour drive. The Clarion had a very reasonable rate and it included up to two weeks secure parking. That saved us about $60 in parking alone. Two cocktails were included with the stay and dinner was very good at the hotel restaurant.
We were pleasantly surprised at the free shuttle both ways as well as with the donuts, coffee and juice available at 4:00am for those leaving early for flights. We will definitely use them again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ed S
Joel K, Manager at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for your generous comments. It is greatly appreciated. We pride ourselves on our service, and the promptness of our park and fly packaging. We look forward to seeing you the next time you stay.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We were surprised at the great improvement over our last stay in May on 2013. You do get little welcome gift from them. The hallway it looks like new carpeting, rooms were a lot cleaner. They now have hot breakfast. If you have to leave early they still have a continental breakfast. We left before 6 so we used the continental. It was fine for us. The shuttle just pulled up to the hotel as we were walking to the door. On the way back I called and we walked out and the shuttle was there. Yes they do give a coupon for a free rail drink. We parked there for 9 days. We always use this hotel when we travel. Convenient. Price has went up a little. That's o.k with us. Glad to see the up dates.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Joel K, Manager at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place the nice comments about our improvement on Trip Advisor. We have taken great pride in our updates and renovations. We hope the improvements, and changes keep you coming back in the future.

Wauconda, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a park and fly for early flight
Staff. Fantastic and friendly
Location closest to airport
Drivers for airport so polite
Room clean and comfortable mattress and pillow
Free cocktail in bar. Perfect. :-)

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Joel K, Manager at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We have taken great pride in our remodel of the hotel. Our staff has always put Customer Service first, and we will continue to do so. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed at the clarion Jan18 2014 parked our truck for 11 days great price great food great service great drinks a nice welcome bag when we checked in full of goodies a great breakfast and a clean room can't wait to come back next January! Thank you Clarion!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple