“It could be of been better....”

Lynden Sculpture Garden
Ranked #72 of 191 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Owner description: The Lynden Sculpture Garden offers a unique experience of art in nature through its collection of more than 50 monumental sculptures sited across 40 acres of park, lake and woodland. Open to the public Wednesdays and Sundays. Call or visit the website for seasonal hours.
Reviewed 30 July 2013

One of our stops during our day trip to Milwaukee. I wish we had more time to fully appreciate the garden grounds and its sculptures but it was one of the hottest day of July and my group was ready for some A/C.

A very tranquil and reflective place if you love sculptures. I do, so I was quite at home. The only thing that I would probably would want is an audio or a guide tour or even a pamphlet that has some of the artist's thoughts about their pieces. We mostly Googled the artist's on our smartphone and hoped that we would find some info on the artist or if we were lucky.....info on the actual piece we were looking at.

3  Thank Rick n
"beauty"
"admission"
"display"

Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

My 6 year old took a class in summer of 2012.

Time was great 9-noon art class. My kid loved it! It's a great setting at the sculpture garden. She loved her teachers, especially Mr Jeremy. We will do another class this summer. They have a great selection of classes. $$ is pretty reasonable. $140ish for a week long 1/2 day class - not too bad...

2  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 7 July 2012

So the stinking hot weather may have colored the visit but I was a bit underwhelmed. Yes it is a beautiful setting but I expected more for the money. Interesting but not provocative. It appeared most of the works were from the 60s& 70s so it seemed a bit static.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We visited on a beautiful warm spring day. It was dry so easy walking on the grass--no paths here. Over 50 incredible ourdoor sculptures. Frogs and turtles sunning themselves on the banks of the ponds on the property. Flowers were not blooming yet but must be beautiful then. We were very glad we stopped at this garden.

3  Thank travel4fun60
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband and I visited the Lynden Sculpture Garden on a sunny, unseasonably warm late February day and had the place to ourselves.

We thoroughly enjoyed walking around the grounds and enjoying the large sculptures--clearly a labor of love for the family who used to live in the house (which also houses rotating gallery type shows.)

Much like a previous reviewer, we were the only ones there. Unlike the previous reviewer, we did not think that $9 per person was out of line. It costs money to maintain these places, and we were happy to support their mission. Rather than being too expensive, I believe the lack of guests at the time we were there had to do with the season and the complete lack of advertising, clear roadside signage and the fact that they've only been open two seasons!

I would not recommend the gardens for those with mobility issues, as there are no paths, rather you just meander around the lawn looking at the artwork.

I'd also suggest that they consider reworking the map, which is hard to follow as the artwork on the map is numbered, but the actual artwork on the grounds is not. A little difficult to figure out where you were on the map, but we figured it out.

We also enjoyed the 'show' in the house and found the staff person to be very helpful and friendly.

We'd definitely return and would suggest a visit for anyone who enjoys large sculpture in an outdoor setting.

It's lovely. Go!