“Amazing”

The Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I travel all over the world, for both pleasure and business. I have been very fortunate to stay at a lot of very interesting places. This rates up there among the best.

I won't repeat all of the other glowing parts of the other reviews. I would simply say: when in Milwaukee, stay here!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank intrepidtravelerfla
JamesValona, Front Office Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

We all love to hear great reviews from our guests and to receive a review from such a well seasoned traveler is very much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Very nice and unique hotel. Large comfortable rooms, nice bar, very good restaurant and free wifi. Who could ask for more? Be aware however that freight trains do rumble behind the hotel at all hours of the day. I was awakened at 4:02a the first night there. The room does vibrate as the engine passes and you can hear the squeal of the railroad cars on the track. One day a train with liquid gas cars stopped right outside my window and there was a strong smell of gas that lingered for a few hours in my room. The smell dissipated by the time I returned. Finally, the location is only average since nothing really is in walking distance. Would I stay here again? Most definitely, but I would request a room that faced the front and not the rail tracks.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room in the front away from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank VABlue

I am sorry to hear that the train woke you up so early in the morning. The train effects everyone differently. We have earplugs in our rooms for our guests that just need a little extra sound control but for our guests that need a little more we prefer to give them rooms on the South end of the building. We want all of our guests to be comfortable so on your next visit if you could let us know your preference to be away from the train, we would be more than happy to accomodate you.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

What a place. This hotel is like nothing else around. Lovely people, exceptionally appointed rooms and a great energy. I stay there often for business travel and will always recommend it to other travelers. So glad I found it.The Iron Horse is one of a kind.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank k_bee1010

Thank you for coming to see us when you are in town for work. We hope that when you are done working for the day, you are able to come back to the hotel and enjoy yourself. We will see you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

You don't need to be a Harley rider to enjoy this hotel! My husband took me here for a night for my birthday and this was one of the nicest places we've ever stayed. I totally admit that I am a "hotel snob" - and this place exceeded all of my expectations. Everything was spotless and plush and the price was great (we visited in December). A nice variety of snacks and drinks were available right in our room and the bed and bed linens were super comfy, soft and perfect. The decor of the room was beautiful and industrial - brick walls, beams, pipes etc, - very sexy. The staff was relaxed yet professional and very helpful and prompt. The lounge and bar area, though we didn't use during our short stay were beautiful! The restaurant was not open the night we were there (sunday) but I have heard rave reviews and we hope to get back there to try it soon. We did order breakfast to our room which was delivered promptly at the time requested and everything was very fresh and tasty. Our one night visit was just way too short! We'll know better next time and stay for the weekend! We also thought this would make a really fun couples get-away with friends. Definately try this place - you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ellen W

Thank you so much for the great review. I am sorry to hear that you were here on a Sunday when Smyth is closed for dinner. The food is exceptional and I hope you will have the chance to try it on your next visit. Thank you for the review.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

I booked a night at the Iron Horse Hotel particularly for my husband who has been a Harley rider for nearly 50 years. We were heading to Northern Wisconsin for the holidays and I wanted to show him my hometown along with a tour of the Harley museum. I figured a night in the Iron Horse was worth it just for the location (across the street from the museum).

Of course, for a man who is not only a Harley enthusiast but also in construction, the building was more than just a good location, it was a gorgeous re-model and fun to stay in. I made certain to make the one night stay memorable and booked a small corner suite with the shower that featured glass on the bedroom side. For the little bit extra, it was totally worth it. The room was spacious, in fact almost too big. The bathroom, as I said, was wonderful, the glass on both sides added to the sexiness of a romantic evening. Finally, the view we had was, amazingly, the museum itself and I thank whomever gave us that room because it really set us up for a wonderful vacation.

We started our evening by picking each other up in the bar, Branded downstairs. Such a romantic atmosphere and wonderful bartenders. The long bar is the perfect place to flirt with a "stranger." Our dinner at Smythe was delicious and we enjoyed our waitress immensely. We finally let her in on our secret at the end of the meal and she loved what we were up to. Finally, breakfast in the Library was delicious and such an amazing atmosphere...in fact, all the public rooms are so well though out that just eating there would be an adventure.

In all, I wish we had more time to really have enjoyed the hotel and its biker amenities. Perhaps one summer we'll take a cross-country ride. If we do, the Iron Horse is definitely on our itinerary.

The basics: super clean, very spacious and quiet, quiet, quiet. The bed was phenomenally comfortable with a great selection of pillows (I am a pillows-to-the-hilt kind of a gal). The bathroom was spacious and clean and then huge shower was a bonus. We tried all the eating establishments and highly recommend them. The staff was wonderful, fun and generous - I called about a week before to specifically make sure the corner suite I booked had the shower with the glass on the bedroom side, and I learned that not all do. The staff had no problem accommodating my request, and we had a late check-in.

Thank you again for a wonderful night at your hotel!!!

Room Tip: Check out the Iron Horse website for photos of their rooms and make sure to request either the view...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

What a great review! I am happy to hear that you appreciated the history and character of the building and that you and your husband could have a special experience with us. We hope to have you with us again very soon!

Reviewed 20 January 2012

This place is fabulous in all departments, the customer service when we checked in was a clear indication that this place set their standards very high. The room was spotless and the decor was industrial yet romantic...I know that seems like an oxymoron but just trust me on this. the room itself was so beautiful...high ceilings and exposed brickwork with beautiful artwork adorning the mail wall that had a large flat screen t.v that was perfect to view from the comfortable king bed.
The large walk-in rain shower was great as well, h20 Plus products also.
We dined at Smyth and all I am going to say is the Venison Osso Bucco is a signature dish for a reason, the service was excellent and the waitress was so attentive without being annoying.
Overall we will be back, this is a great place and they are so professional without being stuffy.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KC773
JamesValona, Front Office Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

It is wonderful hear that you had an amazing time not only in the hotel but Smyth as well. We pride ourselves on the service we provide so it is always appreciated when a guest lets us know that we are doing well. Thank you again and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 19 January 2012

This one of the TOP hotels in the State,
it is pure Genius, from my room you can see the Harley Davidson Museum, also something you must visit while your in Milwaukee,

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the great review! The views of the Harley Museum are pretty spectacular and I am happy to hear you enjoyed them.