“Unique, Stylish Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Milwaukee
“Unique, Stylish Hotel”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in early September and absolutely loved it. Similar to the entire area, they've taken an old building, refurbished it and gave it a great style.
The style is very rock/biker feeling but with a cool, fashionable edge. The service is populated by young, hip but nice midwestern people. The breakfast is great and is situated in a study room like atmosphere.
The rooms are quite sizable with high ceilings. Further, I bumped into the Manager on the elevator who was very nice in genuinely asking how my stay way and my background.
I've lived abroad and traveled throughout the world so please don't think I have a good benchmark but this is one of the better hotels I've stayed in the world primarily because what they are offering is different and quite special.
Highly recommend to pay the extra money if you are in town to stay at this hotel.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NJtoSH
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Hello NJtoSH!!

Thank you for being a guest of the Iron Horse. We welcome feedback from all of our guests but it was great to hear from someone who has had such a robust traveling background. The Iron Horse takes great pride in providing an experience that you could expect in major destination. I agree with you that our team, made up of many Milwaukee/Mid-West personalities, which make us unique when compared to other hotels.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and if your travel leads you to Milwaukee we will be here to welcome you back.

The Iron Horse Hotel
brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 17 November 2013

After a week of 'business' hotels, it was fun to spend a couple of nights at a proper boutique hotel. The Iron Horse is a gorgous place. My room was beautifully furnished, with a lovely rainfall shower in the bathroom. Size of the room was large by European standards, but probably average by American! Little finishing touches were great - earplugs in case you wanted them, a complementary margarita upon arrival. I dined and breakfasted in their restaurant - the food was great, though a little on the pricey side. Any niggles? The free wifi didn't have great reception in the bedroom - this only mattered because I was trying to keep in touch with my family back at home.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear BelJCG-

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your time at the Iron Horse. We are currently in the process of improving our Wi-Fi access, and I apologize for your connectivity issues. Before your next trip to Milwaukee we should hopefully be in a better place from a Wi-Fi standpoint. We really value your feedback as it the fastest way to better our guest experience. Thank you again for visiting the Iron Horse and we hope to be your hotel choice for your future trips to Milwaukee.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed at the Iron Horse on Nov. 3 for our Anniversary.
The hotel was a wonderful find and the staff was amazingly gracious and helpful.
It was clear form the start that this is a hotel for grown-ups, which is what we were looking for. We love our 5-year-old daughter, but we were looking for a night away from her and any other kids.

When we checked in, we were offered a complimentary welcoming cocktail. The decor was dark wood, natural light and motorcycle inspired.

We checked into our room, but were disappointed to find it was right above the lobby lounge area. No problem. The person at the front desk not only offered to switch our room.

We took a walk to the Third Ward shopping district, but spent most of our time in the hotel. The hotel surprised us with a bottle of champagne for our anniversary, which was a nice touch.

We decided at the last minute to have dinner at the Smyth and the food was excellent.

The Route 66 Brunch at the Smyth the next day was the highlight, with dishes from several restaurants along the famous highway. One suggestion: the made-to-order dishes could be smaller, to allow for more sampling. the order of tiramisu pancakes was a full breakfast entree all by itself.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sharyld312-

I am very glad the Iron Horse Hotel was able to be a part of your Anniversary Celebration. Our staff takes pride in providing personalized service and enjoys being a part of special occasions. I am also happy to hear that you were able to enjoy a meal and brunch from Symth. The Route 66 brunch is constantly changing and improving, and your advice about the smaller made-to-order dishes will be shared with our food and beverage team. Thank you for choosing the Iron Horse Hotel, and we hope to see you again soon!!

midwest
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel 3 times while interviewing for job. The rooms are quite contemporary
and lovely. Per the name, they cater to motorcycle riders with perks for them such as
special parking, etc.
They love dogs of all sizes and even have a water dish on the floor at check-in.
The restaurant is excellent and we enjoyed all our meals there.
The ambiance of this hotel is upbeat. I overheard one of the hotel employees tell another
that the fragrance you smell in the lobby was created specially for them.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Gypsyspiritmidwest- Thank you for taking the time to visit and review our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and I hope that all went well with your interview process. The Iron Horse, being dog friendly, is one of our favorite parts of the hotel story, and we welcome dogs of all shapes and sizes. It sounds like you share our passion for dogs. I hope that during your trip to Milwaukee we will see you, and possibly your pet, again!!

Best Regards,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Beautiful hotel with wonderful service. My boyfriend and I stayed here overnight last year and I've been overdue sending in a review. Our room was very spacious and tastefully decorated. The bed felt huge and was extremely comfortable also. We also enjoyed cocktails at the outside bar before and after our dinner reservations downtown. My only complaint is that you can no longer make reservations for one night as there seems to now be a minimum stay. Which is too bad, as a visitor from Chicago, I usually only visit 1 night. (ps. my stay was July 2012, however, tripadvisor doesn't offer that date)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
NicoleSkillings-

Thank you for taking the time to share your Iron Horse Hotel story with us. I am very happy to hear that Jake, Kati, and Jacob were able to take great care of you while you were getting settled in. I apologize for the delay in the process. We take a lot of pride in our outgoing and proactive service, and it was fun to be able to share your experience with our team members. I am glad that you felt comfortable in your guest room, and you did not need your sleeping bag. Thank you again for your review and we will see you during your next trip to Milwaukee!!

Best Regards,

Roscoe, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the first time on our wedding weekend three years ago and have tried to stay here every anniversary. This year we tried a different room level and it wasn't the same as we remembered. When Natasha at the front desk found out, she didn't just accommodate us, she made sure we had a really special anniversary. The environment is amazing, the food is great, the staff is incredible. This is a place you won't forget and one where we will come back every year! Thanks Natasha and the Iron Horse!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 October 2013

on October 26th we spent the evening at the Iron Horse hotel, upon arrival , we were greeted by a friendly valet, we proceeded to the front desk were we again greeted by friendly staff who gave us a complimentary cocktail.. check in was fast and painless and in less than 5 minutes we were up in our room. the room was great, large, clean and very comfortable. We deiced to head down to the bar for a drink and again got a friendly welcome from our waiter Travis. We enjoyed a couple of drinks and a appetizer, all were great. Later that night we had dinner in Smyth, which was excellent from the appetizers to the main course to the dessert along with excellent service by our waiter Frank.
Room was quiet and peaceful all night long, one of the quietest hotels I have been in a long time. check out the next day was quick, painless. we really felt like the staff enjoyed the fact we were staying there.

Room Tip: corner room is great