“Best Hotel In Milwaukee”

The Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is by far the best hotel in Milwaukee. The hotel is beautiful. It has a modern industrial feel but is also very warm. The decor is amazing...the same atmosphere as a luxury boutique hotel in New York. The service is impeccable from the minute you valet your car, to the desk staff and bar/restaurant staff.
In the warmer months you can sit out on in "the yard" on a soft couch and have delicous drinks and food and take in downtown Milwaukee.
I stay for business, but it is great for any occasion.I would recommend this hotel to everyone I know!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Kimber2014-

Dear Kimber2014,

Thank you for your kind words. I will make sure to share them with our team. A lot of work goes in to ever guest stay and I am very proud to hear that you had a “Milwaukee’s Best” experience. Just thinking of "the Yard" season brightens my day. This winter has been too long. We look forward to welcoming back both you and the warm weather to IHH very soon.

brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,770)

Reviewed 6 April 2014

The Iron Horse’s fun, funky and eclectic décor makes it a hip place to stay in Beer City. And refreshingly, there’s no haughty, hipster attitude to go along with it.

The hotel’s lobby is vast, but the intimate seating areas make it feel comfortable and intimate.

Original art – sepia-toned murals of larger-than-life photos of local women – dominate one entire wall of each guest room. The bedding is crisp and comfortable. The H20 toiletries, whirlpool tubs and rain showers are a lovely touch.

If I ever find myself in Milwaukee again, I will happily stay here. It’s not without its flaws, though. While the service at Smyth (the destination restaurant in the hotel) is stellar, service at the front desk is a little lacking. For example:

Me: “I’m thinking of going to the Oriental for a movie.”
Two guys at front desk: “Never heard of it.”
Me: “Hmmm, I guess I can just look it up on my phone. How about the Milwaukee Rep?”
Two guys at front desk: “Nope, never heard of it. Do you mean the Pabst Theatre?”
Me: “No, I mean the Milwaukee Rep. Could you, maybe, look up the address for me?”

I wasn’t asking about some obscure hole-in-the-wall. The historic Oriental and the Milwaukee Repertory Theater pop up repeatedly in Milwaukee must-do lists. I’d expect the front desk staff at a hotel of this caliber to be familiar with top area attractions. And to offer to get directions for guests.

The valet service is spotty, too. My two friends and I carried our own luggage in when we arrived and out when we left. (Not a big deal, but generally at a nice hotel, someone offers.) Twice, we couldn’t find a valet when we needed our rental car.

The hotel’s location is a little off-the-beaten-path. You’ll need a car or a cab to get to any of the city’s attractions other than the Harley Davidson Museum, which is practically next door. Most everything you’d likely want to do, though, is five to 10 minutes away by car.

The hotel’s quirky character and seriously incredible food are enough to overcome the few service issues. The ambiance and laidback vibe make The Iron Horse a destination worth visiting.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Have_fun_will_travel-

Thank you very much for choosing the Iron Horse and for taking the time to share your story with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the work that went in to making the IHH a unique experience. The many amenities that you mentioned are meant to make sure you are comfortable during your stay and I am happy to hear that you were. I will share your front desk example with our team. It is our goal to make sure that we have ambassadors not only to our hotel and guest but to Milwaukee as well. We hope to see you again in the future and please let me know if there is ever anything I can assist with.

Save Travels,

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Definitely recommend this hotel. My wife & I recently stayed here. We loved the style and decor. The staff were friendly & helpful. The room was clean and spacious. Breakfast in the restaurant was delicious & there was loads of beers at the bar. Only 5 minute walk to the Harley Davidson museum.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Burnsy7-

Welcome to Milwaukee, and thank you for recommending the Iron Horse Hotel. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I am glad to see that you had a positive experience. I will make sure to share your kind words with our team. It sounds like you experienced a lot of what we had to offer from the Bar to breakfast, and everything in between. We hope that you come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed one night and really enjoyed it. We were there for a charity event and the hotel did a very good job of accommodating the various parts of the event.

DO NOT BOOK THROUGH HOTELS.COM unless you are willing to pay and extra $30 for the room. My son booked a room through the hotel for $169 and Hotels.com charged $199 for the same type room the same night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Toby504-

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am proud to hear that you had a "Great Hotel" experience. I will make sure to tell the banquets team that their hard work does not go unnoticed when running different events. I am glad they had a positive impact on your charity event. If there is ever anything we can assist with in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This place is great, location is good, not in downtown it self so walking will not work if you want to explore milwaukee, but is 5 min driving from everything. Parking could be an issue but is the same as any downtown hotel, you can do valet parking for $30 in and out all you want or You have to park on the street and don't forget to get the city parking permit here is the link: http://mpw.milwaukee.gov/services/np_permission
The decor is awesome, the comfort and quality of the rooms is outstanding, bed was great, bathrooms are big and really clean, i loved the industrial chic style in a historic building leather wood and iron everywhere really manly but still chic and trendy for the ladies, Pet friendly is always a plus. Some people could say that it is to expensive for the city but to be honest with you is worth it for even for the building alone.
Rooms are big and amenities are good, no coffee machine in room but you have it complementary at the lobby, also minibar is not too expensive.
I understand how some guest can complain about the train passing next to the hotel but to me it was not an issue building it self has good sound proof structure, they have complementary ear plugs if you need them.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Lfmz777-

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am proud to see that you enjoyed your time with us. "Industrial Chic" is a great way to describe the look of the hotel and I am glad that it fit your eye. You will be happy to hear that the coffee makers were only out of the room for a short time, they will be back in time for your next visit. If there is anything I can do to assist with any future needs please let me know.

Thanks Again,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I love this hotel! I came to town with my 10mo old daughter to visit some friends. This was my first trip traveling alone with her, and as most know babies need extra hands and luggage! From the second I pulled up the valet attendants were prompt and friendly. Jordan did a great job helping me juggle my luggage while I had my daughter. The check in process was quick and seamless. My room was very spacious and clean. All of the F&B staff were great, from helping me get baby food heated up to helping me get a plate made at brunch. Overall great stay - can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear mrsr2012-

Thank you for choosing the Iron Horse. I am happy to see that our team was able to provide some extra hands when needed. I will make sure to give a special shout out to Jordan. I am glad you had a "great" stay and we will be looking forward to your next trip.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed at the Iron Horse for a couple days while working out of nearby Waukesha after colleague's recommendation. It was a great experience, a slice of American industrial history.
The styling is casual but classic: sumptuous leathers, warming woods, tactile brick and honest, hard-worked iron all representing the backstory of the area.
The rooms are large and comfortable, the raw feel of the reception area carrying through with on-view air conditioning, open brick work and fittings of steel ripped from the very walls of local warehouses. Don't worry, the bed itself is exceptionally comfortable!

Each dining area is named differently and has it's own theme. The Library serves as a breakfast quarters, filled with reading materials, artwork and natural light,
The bar is THE place to be and welcomes you with a range of local tap-beers and a tantalizing back-bar, smart bar-staff and good chat.
The main dining room is also filled with images of Classic American industrial life, evoking that hard working spirit when you get served a steak!

Parking I felt was probably best via the valet for $30 a night since the streets around looked a little sketchy. Better safe than sorry.

The hotel is across the bridge from the Harley Davidson museum, a short walk, and 5 minutes drive from downtown Milwaukee's third ward filled with its hip bars and fish-fry restaurants.

The staff are welcoming, chirpy and helpful.
Great place, I am totally staying here again when I am back in town.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear SeekingLocalFood-

First of all I love the Trip Advisor Name! I am proud to see that the Iron Horse outlets met your "Local Food Needs" while in Milwaukee. Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I will be sure to share your kind words with our team. Thank you for noticing all the effort that has gone into the look, feel, and experience of the Iron Horse Hotel. We will be looking forward to your next visit. If there is anything I can do to help with your future needs please let me know.