“Absolutely Perfect!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Sussex, Wisconsin
“Absolutely Perfect!!!!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My daughter and I attended the Cher concert and stayed at The Iron Horse. Wonderful rooms, VERY clean and located in a very "hip" old neighborhood. Staff are courteous and seem to really care that you booked their hotel. The hotel itself is a real trip. A beautiful mix of historic and chic modern. I know I'm really dating myself but (if I'm not mistaken) I remember approx 50 yrs ago the building was a bed factory. WOW times have changed!!!! The staff is top notch and the guests are an interesting mix of people. You will NOT be disappointed in your stay at The Iron Horse!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sandra s
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Sandra S-

How was the concert? I have heard some good things from other guests who attended. Thank you for staying and sharing your story with us. It is great to see that you enjoyed our "chic modern" look. I agree with you that we do see a variety of guests in our hotel. I feel it is because our building and staff lead to many different travelers feeling comfortable here. I am proud to see that you enjoyed your time here as well. We will be looking forward to your next visit. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do to assist.

Thank you again!

brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at the Iron Horse. We have lived in or near Milwaukee for many years and so don't often stay in hotels in the city but wanted to visit for this special occasion. The hotel surpassed my expectations in just about every way. We received a nice room upgrade for our anniversary and enjoyed great city views from the fifth floor. The bathroom was fabulous. Fantastic shower. We loved the decor - all the exposed brick, the furniture, everything. We enjoyed some drinks in The Yard and a wonderful dinner at Smyth and will definitely be back...maybe for my 50th birthday this summer. Thank you, Iron Horse, for a memorable celebration.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsTibs
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear MrsTibs-

Happy 25th Anniversary Milwaukee Friends! Thank you for choosing the Iron Horse Hotel for your special staycation celebration. I am very proud to see that you had a positive experience with us. I am also glad that you took the time to experience both the Yard and Smyth. Hopefully we become one of your favorite places for dinner or a causal hang out here in Milwaukee.

Cheers!

Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We have stayed at the Iron Horse several times and each one is better than the last!!
This time was for our 1 year wedding anniversary.
Any season...Always a great stay.
Staff is outstanding!!! Rooms are great!!
We love Milwaukee and we really love the Iron Horse!
M&M

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mde4074
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear mde4074-

Happy 1st Anniversary. Very exciting. I would also like to thank you for your loyalty to the Iron Horse Hotel. I will make sure to share your kind review with our "Outstanding" team. We will all be looking forward to many upcoming visits. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to assist.

Safe Travels,

Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Outstanding hotel!!! My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here. We both enjoyed a fantastic mid-week stay, which was a surprise for my wife. I treated us both to massages, which were incredible! One very minor glitch -- when we checked in, the room temperature was in excess of 100 degrees, due to a malfunctioning thermostat. When I called the front desk, they sent an engineer within 10 minutes, and still offered me a deep discount, which was not expected or accepted. When I checked out, they had removed the charge for our room-service breakfast. I live in Milwaukee, and often enjoy lunch or cocktails at the Iron Horse. I cannot recommend it any higher!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FallsWarrior
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear FallsWarrior-

Happy Anniversary! We are very glad that you choose to spend your special day with us at the Iron Horse Hotel. I apologize for the room temperature issue however I am proud to see that our staff was able to take care of you. I always love to hear from Milwaukee locals. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Until Next Time,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I travel a lot for work and see a lot of hotels and often they all start to look the same. Nice this gem, it is an old warehouse that has been renovated and is such a cool hip place to stay. Sorry not much motivates me to travel to this city but I would come back to stay at the Iron Horse Hotel!

Room Tip: Try Hotels Tonight for a great rate
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tim B-

I always value the feedback greatly of someone who travels often for work. When hotels are truly a second home you tend to be able to appreciate quality or pick out flaw quickly. Thank you for taking the time to share your Iron Horse experience with us. I am proud to see that we met your needs and that we were a "cool, hip, gem" of a stop on your business travels. Please let us know if you do find a need to return to Milwaukee. As ambassadors of the city we can make recommendations to ensure your visit is well worth it.

Cheers!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I started staying at the hotel shortly after it opened and raved about the decor, service, cocktails, restaurant, etc. To by friends and business colleagues. I have stayed over 20 times in last three years and the decline in quality and service has been disappointing. As the price has increased. Seems like the high turnover of staff might be the problem but room service, water pressure, excessive noise from large gatherings also seem to be a problem. It was such a unique and pleasant experience I hope management takes notice and works to bring it back to the original standards.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Kay G-

Thank you for your time and feedback. Over the years the Iron Horse has consistently listened to our guest to make many different changed to ensure our visitors have a great local experience. Some of our unique offerings include welcome weekend cocktails, seasonal fruit infused water, and a complimentary house car. Although some of the faces and programs have changed over the years we still strive to provide the same memorable experience to each guest. I would be happy to discuss this further with you are such a loyal guest of the Iron Horse Hotel and would love to hear any ideas you have. I can be reached at brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com.

Best Regards

Lake Bluff, Illinois
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The good:

Very dog-friendly, cool biker-chic crowd, cool vibe, excellent, helpful staff, spectacular decor, nice rooms.

The bad:
Very dog-friendly, which means you might have a barking dog next to your room (as we did). Unconscionably expensive on some items ($12 margaritas, $30 overnight parking, $55 bottle of wine in the room -- really?). And don't get a room on the second floor -- you'll hear the noise from the lobby bar/restaurant, which is considerable. Ours also had a view of the awning extending from the front entrance -- not good.

Overall, we'd return. But we'd stay on a higher floor, and get margaritas elsewhere.

Room Tip: Above the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank goodwin22
Dear Sunrise512-

Thank you for your feedback about your recent visit to the Iron Horse. I am happy to see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. A "cool vibe" with "excellent, helpful staff" is what sets us apart for many other hotels and I will share your comments with our team. We are a dog friendly hotel as you mentioned and we do our best to make sure that our four legged guests are welcomed to the Hotel without disturbing our other guests. During your return trip to the IHH please contact me directly and I will be happy to address any concerns you may have before your arrival. We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,