“Why Stay Anywhere Else when visiting Milwaukee”

The Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is probably my 7th or 8th visit to the Iron Horse, and they've never let me down. This visit was a mix of business and pleasure and I'm happy to write another rave review of the property and the amazing level of service we receive every visit. From reservation to check out there is never a flaw with our stay. The rooms are well appointed, the location is ideal, and the atmosphere and experience are second to none. Every year we book more and more rooms during our stay so that our friends can join in the experience. This year we were a group from Texas, Georgia, and Illinois. Some "newbies" and some "veterans" of the property. I've become somewhat of a travel celebrity with my friends for recommending we stay once again at the Iron Horse. Thank you for another great experience! We will definitely see you again when our feet hit Milwaukee.

Room Tip: Floors 3 and higher offer more peace and quiet, but there are no bad rooms in this place.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Clinton J
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Mr. Clinton J-

Thank you very much for your loyalty to the Iron Horse Hotel. We greatly appreciate you sharing your experiences that you have had here with others as well and bringing new friends with you during each visit. I am very proud to see that we are your choice when you have a free weekend. Please let me know if there is ever anything we can do for you, or your friends, while you are in Milwaukee. Thank you again for your visiting and we will be looking forward to your next trip.

Safe Travels

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great themed retro hotel, excellent restaurant and bar, quaint outdoor bar and seating, convenient location to Third Ward and Milwaukee Public Market. Pet friendly and very helpful and attentive staff.

Room Tip: If you have a pet, the corner room is quite nice. Extra space and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jimzorba-

I am in receipt of your feedback and am proud to see that you had a "Great" experience at the Iron Horse. We thank you for your business and for taking the time to share your experience. I agree with you that nothing beats our Corner rooms, especially if you are traveling with your pet. We hope that you will stay with us again soon, and please let me know if there is anything I can assist with in the future.

Cheers!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We recently stayed a night at the Iron Horse. The front desk staff were incredibly accommodating and went above and beyond to ensure our stay was great. The room was very nice, with comfortable and stylish furnishings. The valet process was quick and easy and the room service (breakfast) was quite good. The staff made our special occasion all the better with their kindness, professionalism, and quality of service.

Dear P2007-

Thank you for your kind words and for choosing to spend your special occasion with us here at the Iron Horse. I will be sure to share your message with our team and I am very glad to hear that they had a positive impact on your stay. Our goal is to have empowered staff making intuitive decisions to ensure each guest gets the experience they were hoping for. We hope that we see you again very soon and please let me know if there is anything at all I can assist with in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We recently stayed at The Iron Horse Hotel for three nights over a weekend. The hotel itself came as advertised - it has a modern, dark lobby with a bit of a motorcycle theme and exposed beams and some metal, reflecting its warehouse past. We opted for a larger room - although in retrospect it was a poor choice, because the room had a very poor layout and a big empty space in the middle of it. Although there was both a desk and two comfy chairs around a circular table, I would have expected a sofa or something to sit on to watch the TV, other than lying on the bed.

Quick note on the room - the furnishings were fairly comfortable - although generally it felt like they cut a few corners. The curtains were not real blackout curtains, so if you're a light sleeper, it's pretty annoying to wake up early because of the sun streaming through the cracks. The bathrooms were OK - although fixtures seemed like they were only of moderate quality. Also, as with a lot of other reviewers, they sort of don't provide enough towels which is exacerbated by the lack of turn down service. Finally, there is a bit of outside noise - and the walls/floors seem thin - luckily we didn't have loud neighbors, but we heard walking, and the occasional voice/clatter from next door or above.

That said, the outside patio bar was great - so no need to sit in your room watching TV. The food was great and a nice selection of beers with some good local microbrews. The service was OK - but not spectacular - which probably has more to do with training than the actual staff. On the Friday and Saturday nights, which are their busy nights, it felt like they overstaffed - so you would have staff chatting with each other, which is fine, except when you are trying to get served... We must have looked like locals, because every time we spent time there they just assumed we weren't staying at the hotel and never gave us a pen to charge to our room. Also the few times we ordered sandwiches, they never came with the McClure pickle as advertised, which was a disappointment as my wife actually purchases them by the case and we were hoping to see a friendly pickle.

To sum up - this is a good hotel, not awesome. If I could, I'd rate it a solid 3.5, but not higher. I'd recommend it for a night or two if you're passing through Milwaukee and a solid sleeper, mostly because the patio was so pleasant. It's dog-friendly which we could appreciate. With some room and service upgrades, I think it has room to improve (the front desk service and valet were both excellent - it was more the restaurant service that was subpar). Final note on the gym - it was serviceable, but more of an afterthought. The equipment seemed more home-grade than gym-grade - but everything seemed to work.

Room Tip: Our room had a lot of noise - maybe a higher floor?
1  Thank SksAdvntr
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear SksAdvntr-

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review of your visit to the Iron Horse Hotel. It appears that you share the same appreciation as we do for the hotels look and feel. The exposed wooden beams and industrial metal are meant to be a comfort while paying homage to the factory and warehouse history of the building. I would also agree that the outdoor patio is one of my favorite spots to enjoy at our hotel as well. I am glad to see that you enjoyed our food and beverage options. I appreciate your feedback in regards to your room and restaurant service details. In our consistent effort to improve our guest experience, customer feedback is the fastest way to ensure results. I will be addressing the items mentioned and working out improvements with our team. Please feel free to contact me directly with any other ideas you may have, or for any future reservation needs you may have.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I took my husband here for one night to celebrate his birthday, and we both wished we could have stayed for an additional night. Everything was perfect - the decor in the rooms, the comfort of the rooms, the special touches just for motorcycle riders, Smyth Restaurant where we ate a very delicious dinner, The Yard where we enjoyed sitting outside, having a few cocktails and making new friends, the motorcycle parking and bike wash station, the friendliness of the staff, and most importantly, the customer service! It was top notch all the way!! We have stayed many places, from the cheapest to the most expensive, and we both agree this is the best place we ever stayed!

Cannot wait to find a reason to go back!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear DLilah-

I am glad that you found that the Iron Horse was a perfect way to celebrate your Husband's Birthday. It sounds like you got to experience much of what the hotel has to offer and I am very proud to see that you enjoyed your experience. I will make sure to share your kind words with our team. We will be looking forward to a future visit to Milwaukee and this time we too will be hoping you can stay for two nights.

Until Next Time,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Iron Horse isn't just "a great hotel for Milwaukee", it's just a great hotel. The location puts you within easy distance of the Third Ward and Walker's Point with all of their fabulous bar and restaurant options, but you don't need to leave the hotel for that if you'd rather stay in. The lobby bar offers a great atmosphere and fantastic drinks.

The decor perfect for the Harley theme of the hotel, but have no fear if you aren't arriving on two wheels, it's certainly not any kind of requirement. The place is clean and has been maintained so it feels as new as when it opened. If you're staying in Milwaukee, this would be my top hotel pick, hands down.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Matt S-

Thank you for choosing the Iron Horse Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very proud to see that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to see that you feel that our hotel would fit in anywhere as we strive to provide intuitive service that meets each guest individual expectations. That type of service is what allows our hotel to play host to Harley lovers, corporate travelers, or vacationers alike. We hope that you visit us again and please let me know if there is ever anything we can do to assist with a future reservation.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My daughter and I attended the Cher concert and stayed at The Iron Horse. Wonderful rooms, VERY clean and located in a very "hip" old neighborhood. Staff are courteous and seem to really care that you booked their hotel. The hotel itself is a real trip. A beautiful mix of historic and chic modern. I know I'm really dating myself but (if I'm not mistaken) I remember approx 50 yrs ago the building was a bed factory. WOW times have changed!!!! The staff is top notch and the guests are an interesting mix of people. You will NOT be disappointed in your stay at The Iron Horse!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sandra s
Ben R, Manager at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Sandra S-

How was the concert? I have heard some good things from other guests who attended. Thank you for staying and sharing your story with us. It is great to see that you enjoyed our "chic modern" look. I agree with you that we do see a variety of guests in our hotel. I feel it is because our building and staff lead to many different travelers feeling comfortable here. I am proud to see that you enjoyed your time here as well. We will be looking forward to your next visit. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do to assist.

Thank you again!