“Excellent Getaway”

Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Getaway”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've stayed at the Iron Horse Hotel three or four times and each time am reminded of why I like this hotel so much. First, it's a beautiful and beautifully appointed building. Second, the staff is exceptionally accommodating and social. We've had the most interesting conversations w/ bartenders -- never intrusive, but seemingly genuinely interested in striking up a conversation if you are. And, thirdly great location in a fun city that's close enough to Chicago to zip up for a night or two and feel like you're some place new. Depending on the time of year, I think, rooms can be a little pricey but, no matter, when in Milwaukee I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Apparently some people are bothered by the noise of the trains. In spite of several visits and diffe...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear HotCoffeeCoach-

Thank you for the nice message for your loyalty to the Iron Horse Hotel. I am very proud to see that you enjoy our building, people, and stories. We will be looking forward to your next visit and please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to assist with future reservations.

Cheers!

brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was our second stay at the Iron Horse. We live in Arizona and have our share of great resorts, so we were impressed by the unique decor of the hotel, bar and restaurants. The guest services were perfect up until our 4th night there on our most recent stay.
We never received housekeeping and it took a phone call to receive fresh towels and more toilet paper. The hotel did refund us $50, but we would have preferred a clean room to come back to!
Our only other complaint was that the diverter in our shower wasn't working.
Otherwise, we'd highly recommend the Iron Horse for a great outdoor patio with live music on Sundays in summer, great food and delicious cocktails. A happy hour might not be a bad idea though.

Room Tip: 6th floor king loft was great with a view of the water.
Dear MTAB_11-

Thank you for choosing the Iron Horse and for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is great to see that you enjoyed the majority of you stay and that you highly recommend the Iron Horse Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the Patio, Decor, and great food and drinks. I apologize for missed opportunity in housekeeping but proud that the team reacted positivity. Please contact me directly before your next trip and I will ensure a fantastic Iron Horse experience.

Best Regards,

Larchmont, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I've stayed at The Iron Horse countless times and they have always consistently delivered world-class service. The overall experience far exceeds anything you would ever expect from a smaller city hotel. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and well designed, the food is always above par, and I'm pretty blown away by the level of talent behind the bar. The bartenders are second to none. Overall, the service at the Iron Horse is what always makes me want to return.

Room Tip: The hotel borders an active railroad - its not as bad as it sounds - but there is the occasional tra...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Steve153-

Thank you very much for your Iron Horse Loyalty. It is greatly appreciated. I am very proud to see that we were able to exceed your expectations and I will make sure to share your kind words with our team. It is our goal to provide service that you could expect in any city across the world as long as it is unique and intuitive. I am glad you enjoyed your bar experience and for the well-deserved shout out for the Bartenders. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can assist with in the future.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have stayed in many hotels in Milwaukee when we visit family. Last week, we stayed at this hotel with our dogs and walked to Summerfest. We loved our experience at the hotel and plan to return often. The service was great..even the valet cleaned our car windows when we were leaving when he noticed some dirt on them. Breakfast in the library was charming, delicious and inexpensive. We loved the rooms with a large comfy bed and welcoming artwork and lights. We found out you can book massages on the 4th floor and will try to do so next time. The fun atmosphere on a Thursday night was helped by the welcoming patio where they offer a get together for Harley Davidson riders. We found the guests all to be dog lovers.

Room Tip: The second floor room away from the elevator was quiet and gave us privacy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Blythe M-

Happy Summerfesting! I am glad that you enjoyed your trip to Milwaukee and thrilled that you plan to return to the Iron Horse Hotel. We will be very happy to have you. I am also glad to see you that were able to bring your dogs. You could not be more correct about the hotel being full of dog lovers, both staff and guests alike. Please let me know about your future trips as it would be great to say hi in person.

Until Next Time,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had a terrific two night stay at The Irons Horse- our favorite hotel in MIlwaukee. If this hotel were in NY, they could charge $750.00/ night but they keep it reasonable. The entire hotel is fabulous- and the service is impeccable. The decor is "biker-chic" next door to the Harley Davidson Museum, but you don't have to be a biker to stay here (although it appears the amenities for bikers including a free bike wash are great). The bars- both inside and outside- are very cool and the staff at both places are hip and friendly (none of the "too-cool-for-school" mentality here). The food is excellent at the restaurants and the gym is one of the best with TRX and boxing equipment. Easy walk to dozens of places to eat and drink in the Third and Fifth Wards and to Summerfest. Best in Milwaukee!

Dear Dan35805-

Happy Festival Season! I am very glad to see that you were able to enjoy Summerfest and thank you for choosing the Iron Horse Hotel. I am very proud to see that you enjoyed many different aspects of your Iron Horse experience. I will make sure to share your experience with our team. We hope that during your next visit to Milwaukee and the Third Ward area you stay with us again. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can assist with in the future.

Cheers,

Oshkosh, WI
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Iron Horse Hotel as we were going to Summerfest for a couple of days. Our first impression was very good. The valets were nice but not too pushy in trying to take our bags in for us. Parking is very expensive here ($30.00/night) and I didn't see any self-park options. Lobby is really pretty. It's very dimly lit with a nice fragrance throughout. Check-in was fine; nothing stood out either way. Our room was very nice and it was clean.We had a corner king and it was spacious and decorated very hip and modern. I liked the living room area that had a table/chairs and a sofa. The room had everything you might want-huge bathroom, nice shower with waterfall shower head, great products (H20-had never used them but now am a fan!). I didn't think the see through shower was a main issue as others have stated. I don't really think you could see through it that much if you were in the bedroom and the toilet is definitely away from the see through partition. The bed was a little soft for our tastes and an extra pillow would've been nice. The lack of towels were a joke, however. 2 bath towels? No water glasses. The bathroom itself seemed very sparse. It's the little extras that might make a difference in a hotel of this caliber.
We had a drink in the bar before we headed down to Summerfest. The cocktail was good and refreshing. The service was okay, slightly aloof. We headed back to the bar after the Bruno Mars concert at Summerfest around 11:30 p.m. or so. As soon as we got there (the bar was packed also) the server announced last call. What?? I don't understand why the bar would be closing so early on a night that was clearly busy and during the peak festival season. Keep in mind that this hotel is FAR from everything. In my head I was thinking the walk to Summerfest would be a piece of cake. It's easily a 20 minute walk to Third Ward and Summerfest grounds. I assume downtown would be the same. Yes, we could've gotten a taxi but a shuttle would also be nice. This hotel was slightly above our normal price range but we "splurged". There were some rickshaw type of bicycles the first time we checked in but I never saw them outside again. We probably would've used them if they were available on our walks down to the fest grounds.
Now, after our second night down to Summerfest came the problem. We came back around midnight. Our room had not been serviced and our food dishes from room service were still in the room. We were tired and not expecting this. My husband went down to the front desk to explain the situation and the front desk clerk was not helpful at all. She yelled, "I'm Trying To Work With You, Sir!" My husband was not argumentative; just tired and wanting some service. They did send up someone from housekeeping with some fresh towels and they emptied the trash and took away the dirty dishes. They were helpful and apologetic. They said they would write a note about the front desk person's response and they must have. On checkout we had our parking for two nights taken care of and half of one night's room. That was a nice gesture to handle one person's rudeness and the lack of housekeeping.
This is why I'm having a hard time rating this place. It was lovely and I really liked the room. I didn't like the location and not one person (other than the valets) ever greeted us when we returned or left for the day. Maybe we're not their typical customer...I don't know. We visit Milwaukee a few times a year. We have always wanted to stay at The Iron Horse. I don't think we would return based on our experience here. There are other options in town and perhaps the level of service wouldn't be so snotty and condescending.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor. I didn't hear much lobby noise and there were quite a few people in...
1 Thank mjhill1004
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear mjhill1004-

Welcome to Summerfest! It looks like you were here to help kick things off on the first night. I am proud to see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay including the clean, spacious room that is well decorated and stocked with H2O products. I apologize for the shortcoming that you faced in regards to housekeeping, but proud to see that our staff took measures to correct the situation. Please let me know if you have any further questions, or if there is anything at all I can assist with in the future.

Best Regards,

Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

The Iron Horse Hotel provides the sort of experience that leaves you wondering why you'd stay anywhere else. Yes, it's more expensive, but it is so worth every penny.

We were spending the weekend in Milwaukee, taking in a Brewers game and Summerfest, something we do almost every summer. Usually we'd try one of those hotel pricing sites and look for a nice place (4 stars) with good reviews and pick the one with the lowest price. This time, we tried a new tactic - just go for it!

The Iron horse is perfection in all ways. A very attentive staff, extremely comfortable rooms with great amenities, fabulous bars and, we hear, the food was also great. (We wanted to explore the Walker's Point area and we did not dine in the hotel.)

The location of this gem is one of the best attributes. We walked almost everywhere, discovering terrific restaurants and bars in the neighborhood, and even a microbrewery with an amazing tour (MKE)! We also took in the Harley Davidson Museum which is a just a 5 minute walk across the bridge. We are not motorcycle people, but the history of this company and it's bikes are really cool. After a long day or night of walking, we returned to our hotel, enjoying a drink in "The Yard" or at the bar indoors - both have fabulous bartenders who make amazing cocktails and really know their craft.

We did not bring our dog, but the Iron horse is pet-friendly and it was a treat for us to chat up the various dog owners and their furry friends. Perhaps the beagle will join us next time!

You'll see lots of Harley's and their owners at the Iron Horse and the vibe can only be described as unique in the best possible sense. An upscale yet fun, anything-goes home base from which to explore an up-and-coming neighborhood.

You can spend less and decide that the hotel is not really part of the travel experience - we've done that and if you're not spending much time in your room it's a legitimate choice. But in our view, the hotel is part of the experience, and the Iron Horse turned our typical weekend in Milwaukee into an an amazing adventure we will not forget.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Sheree R-

Thank you very much for your review and I must admit that I am a little jealous about the trip you just concluded. It sounds amazing and you really took in a lot of what Milwaukee has to offer. The Iron Horse is a proud ambassador of the city and we are proud to call Walkers Point our home. We hope that next time you will not only be able to bring the beagle but also find some time to dine with us. Thank you again for taking a chance on the Iron Horse. We hope we have gained a loyal Milwaukee traveler. Please let me know if there is anything I can assist with in the future.

Cheers!