“Perfect Anniversary Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Perfect Anniversary Hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Iron Horse for the first time to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and we loved it. It's one of the best designed boutique hotels that we've encountered -- gorgeous details from the original factory building mixed with lots of modern touches. It manages to pull off a Motorcycle/Locomotive theme without seeming gimmicky. The room had a comfortable bed, high ceilings and excellent lighting (we've found that lighting is often a weakness in boutique hotels) -- again, well designed. The bath products were another a high point.

The service was also first-rate. We were pleasantly surprised to receive a complimentary bottle of champagne for our anniversary. The check-in and check-out was very smooth.

We'll definitely be staying at the Iron Horse again next time we're in Milwaukee!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel with views of the river, the Harley Davidson Museum, and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RStretter-

Happy Anniversary! I am very proud to see that combination of our well designed building with our intuitive service made your special weekend away a memorable one. I will make sure to share you feedback with our team and we will be looking forward to your next trip to Milwaukee!

Until Next Time!

brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Reviewed 13 July 2014

On a long cross-country motorcycle ride we were looking for lodging close to the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee. A barista at a nearby coffee shop recommended the Iron Horse Hotel. I wish I knew his name so I could send a personal thanks for the recommendation. We had incredibly pleasant stay that could only be described as magic.
From the greeting at the door, to the desk staff to the bartender, we can't say enough about the hotel staff.
The room was elegantly decorated, the bed uber-comfortable, the view lovely, the bath richly appointed, and on and on. There are just no negatives about this hotel, none at all.
We had a nice meal at the bar where the bartender catered to our every need. When we finished our meal he suggested that we retire to the outside patio. It can be best described at comfortable and romantic.
We were amused by the hotel's description of the trains that shuttle below the windows next to the hotel. It was a case of making lemonade out of lemons but wasn't necessary for my lady & I as we are both horsepower freaks. Each train passing prompted a scramble to the window to watch this big metal beast trundle by just pouring out the sounds and feelings of power. It was another benefit of a north-facing room that was high enough to get a great view of the engines .
BTW - these are shuttle trains that never seem to go much more than walking speed so other than the sounds of horsepower they are not noisy.
I could go on and on about the lobby décor, the covered motorcycle parking, the proximity to the H-D museum, the classy conversion of the wonderful old brick building but this has already gone on too long. I will say that we liked it enough to stay and extra day.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!.

Room Tip: North side rooms on the fourth floor have a lovely view of the surrounding area and the Harley David...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Don B-

If you are ever able to track down the name of that barista please let me know as I would like to thank them as well. I am very glad that you found us as we are a perfect fit for anyone on a cross country motorcycle trip. I am very glad to see that you enjoyed your time here with us so much that you extended your stay and I hope that the rest of your trip was enjoyable. Please let me know if you are ever back in Milwaukee and if there is anything I can assist with.

Safe Travels,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This place is not cheap. Greeted by a friendly staff with an option of a cool beverage. Industrial chic is how I would describe the building. Old warehouse that is unique with lot of things to catch your eye. Attention to detail here is obvious. The outside patio was a great place to hang out. Music level was at the right decibel level so you can still have a conversation in the very comfy seating areas. Food was very good with a nice selection of beers and wine. Rooms were large with nice details to make your stay comfortable. One note is the trains that come often. Even at low speed you get the rumble of the diesels. They even offer earplugs on the nightstand for their guests. Location is not downtown. Need to drive or grab a cab. Harley museum is within walking distance.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor on the south side to stay away from the trains. This is more of an adult hotel...
Dear brghman-

Thank you for visiting the Iron Horse Hotel. I am very glad to see that you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and in the Yard. I would agree that the patio space offers a great place to relax and catch up. We hope to see you back again very soon.

Cheers!

Houston
Reviewed 11 July 2014

On a drive across the country this was our stop after 15 hours of driving. The hotel welcomed us as if we were royalty. Everyone was so nice and helpful. We were only able to stay one night, but it was a marvelous stay. Room 204 was wonderful. We were able to bring our dog and sh too was given the royal treatment. Breakfast was the perfect start for the day. We were sorry to leave and look forward to a return. Wonderful management and super staff!! Not that we had the opportunity, but you gotta love a hotel that will rent you a Harley.

Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear SBF2-

I hope that the rest of your road trip went well. I have had a few days of 15 hours of driving in my past and I am glad that the hotel was such a welcomed break for you. I am very proud to see that you had such a good experience. We hope that your return trip is sooner than later and please do not hesitate if there is ever anything we can do to assist in the future.

Safe Travels

Black River Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Enjoyed our stay very much, everything from the valet attendants to the Loft style rooms was so unique. I loved the all the decor, so many cool things to see---it is an old building they have designed to have a city Loft feeling. High ceilings, open concept in the lobby, the bar area was very cozy, our bartender said she had just called last call (we arrived late after a Brewer game) but was more than happy to serve us 2 drinks---she was very sweet. Our stay was wonderful & we will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We had a view of the bridge & Skyline of the city
Dear Sue M-

Go Brewers! I am happy to see that you enjoyed a visit to the Iron Horse as part of your trip to Milwaukee. I will pass along your message to our bartending team. I am proud to see you had an "awesome and wonderful" experience and we will be looking forward to your return trip.

Until Next Time,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great hotel in Milwaukee a little south of downtown. Nice room, great amenities and really wonderful outdoor bar. Close enough to Summerfest to walk and convenient for anywhere else in the city. Would definitely stay here again in the near future.

Dear tomzimm-

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your kind words. I too enjoy the outdoor patio and bar space here at the Hotel. It is great that the Iron Horse was able to meet all of the needs of your stay and we hope to have you back again soon.

Cheers!

Orange County Ca
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My first trip to Milwaukee left me with a great impression of the city - I picked the right time to travel on business, and was able to coordinate Summerfest as part of my visit. I was equally impressed by the hotel - everything from the check in process (the room wasn't quite ready but we were given free cocktails for our short wait), the unique decor, the friendliness of the staff, and well maintained rooms. I had an opportunity to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner theere during my stay, and would defineitely recommend any of them. I will definitely stay her eon my next visit.

Room Tip: I love trains, so the ocassional slow freight train passing by didn't bother me at all, but for...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Brad G-

Welcome to Milwaukee! I am glad that your experience of Summerfest and the Iron Horse left you with a great impression and hopefully a few stories to share with friends and family. I am proud to see that the staff provided an experience that was smooth from start to finish and that you enjoy your dining options here at the hotel. We hope that you do find some time to return and please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist in making that trip possible.

Safe Travels,