“One of a kind decor, with a little room for improvement”
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Illinois
“One of a kind decor, with a little room for improvement”
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We spent the weekend at the Iron Horse and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The biker theme wasn't what attracted us; rather, we like to try boutique hotels. The biker aspect was there, to be sure, but wasn't a detraction for those of use who don't own motorcycles. What we liked: Awesome corner room on the 6th floor, great view, H20 + amenities, quick check-in, good service, nice liquor and drink selection in the bar (especially the Ginger Snap martini!). What we didn't like: The shower and lack of attention to detail by housekeeping. First, the shower: It had a rainfall shower head, which was cool, but it took forever to rinse off. To rinse shampoo out of your hair, you had to use the handheld shower wand while standing under the shower head. Since this was a leisure trip, we had time available so it's not like this ruined our stay, but it only seems fair to mention it (and the funny thing is that, as we were packing up to leave, we came across a previous guest's comment card that commented on the same issue). Second, our room was clean but housekeeping missed a few details. When we arrived, we found a little sign stating that, although most people love the train outside the building, ear plugs are provided if you don't like it. But there weren't any earplugs. With the white noise app playing on the iPhone, we were ok, but you definitely can hear and feel the train. Ear plugs would be a nice option. Also, when we used our coffee cups and shower gel, housekeeping didn't replace them. Again, this is not enough for me to complain about the hotel, but when everything else is done so well, it's odd to have those details missed. (I mean, you aren't surprised when you have a bath towel with hole in it at the Super 8, but it's not expected at the Iron Horse).
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. The location is interesting - lots of old warehouse space - and it would be great to see the neighborhood developed like the Third Ward (which is within walking distance). We look forward to checking out The Iron Horse again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Iowa
Reviewed 22 July 2010

My husband and I traveled by motorcycle from Iowa to Wisconsin for leisure and to tour the Harley Davidson Museum. The Iron Horse Hotel is only a two minute ride from the museum. It is a beautiful hotel with lots of special features. Our room was ready at the 3 p.m. check-in time. It was spacious, comfortable, and nice ammenities including H2O toiletries. The hotel provides covered parking for motorcycles and has special packages for cyclists, but we opted for a king room only. Staff were friendly, the hotel was very clean and trendy. The room had a good variety of liquor (Patron), drinks and snack items, but I missed not having normal desk accessories like pen and paper. We didn't eat at the hotel's restaurants, but did enjoy a cocktail in the outdoor lounge, The Yard, which was absolutely beautiful at night with fire pits set into boulders and a view of the 6th St. Bridge. I ordered a breakfast to go of cinnamon rolls and a bagel with cream cheese. I didn't know until we were on the road that the server did not include a knife for the cream cheese or napkins, so a little hard to spread the cream cheese. At $4 a shot, would have been nice to include these items. By the time taxes, etc. were added to the room charge, it was a little steep, but worth it to be close to the museum as it sits just on the fringe of what appears to be a shady part of town. The Iron Horse is worth a visit if you are in Milwaukee and visiting the H-D Museum.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I stayed at the Iron Horse for one night when my 3 friends and I decided to take a trip up North (from Chicago) to Milwaukee to see Aziz Ansari perform. At first from the outside the hotel seemed unassuming ,but at first look through the glass doors I could tell that it was going to be a pretty posh place (as the pictures from the website suggested). The man who was working the reception/check-in desk was awesome! He was super friendly, helpful and genuinely seemed interested in our reason for travel as well with helping us with whatever we needed. It didn't hurt that as soon as we stepped to the desk we were given complimentary cocktails!!
The room itself was really great as well! The beds were comfortable, the place was spotless, it was upscale without being stuffy and the shower/bathroom was AMAZING! Everything modern with an artistic touch and high end finishes.
We visited the bar (branded) for cocktails and appetizers before heading out to the show. The food was really good (especially for bar food). I was surprised at how good the mussels were (it was enough for a full meal for 1 person) and also the kobe/crab sliders - If I had $32 to drop on a burger I probably would have gotten the full portion.
They also have this gorgeous outdoor patio but unfortunately the weather was poor and we were unable to enjoy.
This is a definitely must stay while in Milwaukee!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Maryland
Reviewed 13 July 2010

From the valet parking (pretty much required and $25/night) to the maids we encountered, everybody was extremely friendly and made us feel genuinely welcomed. Our third floor room overlooked a railroad track, but I barely heard the trains most of the time (earplugs were provided but I didn't use them). The room had a huge wall of windows, so lots of natural light. There were easily accesible outlets all over room. The bathroom featured a shower with floor to ceiling translucent glass panels and a "rain" showerhead. We had pre-dinner drinks in the Branded bar (inside bar) and later on in the evening we stopped at the Yard bar (outdoor - with comfy couches) for a nightcap. Both bars were cool with a wide selection of beers, reasonable priced wines by the glass, and hard liquors. Had breakfast in the Library - I thought my omelette was great, hubby said his was overcooked. Did not try the main restaurant. Within easy walking distance of the Harley museum - across the bridge and decent walking distance to the Third Ward area - bars/shops/bistros, etc. Would definately consider staying here again if I'm ever back in Milwaukee.

Chicago
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Absolute 1st class service...as good as any 5 star hotel I've stayed at. The rooms were large, very clean (fantastic bed), immaculate bathroom and really interesting decor. I generally don't get too worked up about a hotel, but this place was great. It's set in a really cool old building, but the inside is brand new. I get the feeling the people who work there really care about doing a good job and providing excellent, friendly service. The bed was incredibly comfortable, I have to call them back and find out what mattresses they use so I can buy one for my bed at home. There's a young, cool vibe at the bar and restaurants (outdoor and indoor) without any pretension. I went on business but took my wife. She loved it too. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Denver, colorado
Reviewed 12 July 2010

This hotel has character! The interior lobby and the rooms are very well designed and unique. Highly recommend this hotel. The outside bar is a great place to meet friends for a drink.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I just arrived and I am blown away by the urban-chic atmosphere. Cool lobby, and cool rooms.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business