“Tied for first in my Top 5 Worldwide Hotels” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Tied for first in my Top 5 Worldwide Hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

My husband and I always maintain a Top 5 List from our travels. Just to give you an idea, it is tied with a boutique hotel in Portugal stayed at on our honeymoon. I stayed over the weekend and was pleased by every aspect of the stay; everything just got better and better. It was easy to find right off of the interstate and the first drive up impression was clean and well maintained. We have a large dog and have always had a hard time finding dog friendly hotels and this was a dream; complete with an offer from a staff member to walk our dog. Even if you aren't a fan of canines, you won't even notice them. The room was beautiful and clean and so comfortable. I can't say enough nice things about the staff; every person we encountered was helpful and polite and genuine. You have to give this place a try. It was worth the drive and every cent. I never had a reason to go to Milwaukee but will go back simply to stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

I actually live in Milwaukee and my husband and I really wanted to find a hotel that was original and urban...like us. But in this day and age, it's so hard to find something truly original, especially in a hotel. But Iron Horse nailed it! Once we visited, we knew there was no other place in the world to have our wedding. The building is an old mattress factory that was vacant for almost 50 years and then turned into a stunningly vintage hotel. The hotel is beautiful, but not in a feminine way as most hotels try to be. It's very masculine. Leather couches, chandeliers made out of knives and gears, motorcycle on display, etc. But it's very chic and any woman would die to have the decorating abilities used in this hotel. And it's a sexy hotel- if you're looking for a romantic getaway, this is the place to go- the rooms have frosted full-length shower windows that you can see into from the bedroom. Very nice for romance. The wallpaper in the rooms are also quite seductive. They feature women (slightly) dressed in old fashioned dresses staring back with sultry eyes. Quite a risk to do something so drastic with a hotel room, but it totally works with the vibe (Also, the women featured are all Milwaukee girls so if you think us ladies here are beer wielding, cheese eating, unattractive women- try again...). But back to my wedding...my family is from Chicago and his is from all over. We wanted a place that would stun our guests and change their perception of Milwaukee instantly (most thought we would have our reception at a beer hall with a fish fry...gosh,do people have the wrong idea of Milwaukee!). Well, we were successful with astounding them with this rugged, yet classy hotel. Everyone was thrilled with the place! His grandma was ecstatic that she could also bring her little dog (yes, the hotel is dog-friendly and they treat them like royalty). The service was amazing. The cocktail hour in The Yard (outdoor patio) was a huge hit with everyone loving the big couches and sails that provided shade (yes, they use actual boat sails for shade, not cheap umbrellas- very cool). And the reception was beautiful in The Gallery (an art gallery in the basement of the hotel). Our reception was classically beautiful, but with a very vintage feel. Wooden posts (almost 300 years old) fall into the space and provide a very old warehouse feel. The steel warehouse doors are still in place at the entrance of the Gallery. Everyone couldn't get over the history of the building and how magnificent the restoration was- they kept such wonderful pieces of the original warehouse in tact.

And the amenities and services are SPECTACULAR. Symth, the restaurant, is by far one of the best restaurants in the city. Do yourself a favor and get dinner here! Branded, the bar, is so fantastic with some of the best bartenders around and bar food! And the vintage comic book portraits on the wall give it a fun, yet urban vibe. Pool table is always a fan fav as well. The lobby is very relaxing with luxurious antique couches, tables, leather chairs and beds, and tons of sparkling candles. It's kind of dark and mysterious, but it's still a bustling area of fun because you can order food and drinks and just hang out with people...or puppies. Music selection in the hotel is impeccable. Everything from Billie Holiday to Aerosmith. But you won't hear any rap or hip hop here. It's a rocker's hotel.

And again, back to the rooms. Yes, the showers are quite romantic, but they also feature the most amazing H2O products (our guests loved it!), and rain shower heads. Double sinks and vanity mirrors also are very nice for the ladies as well! And the beds are so plush and cloud-like. Imagine a big white cloud and that's your bed at Iron Horse. Also provides a wonderful night sleep- even for a anxious bride! Exposed brick only adds to the vintage vibe and character of this place.

So obviously we had a wonderful wedding here. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for an beautiful (and vintage) urban venue in Milwaukee. You will wow your guests instantly. No matter what the event is. But if you are just looking for a nice hotel (maybe for some romance), this is truly the ONLY pick in Milwaukee. It takes you to another place in time, a whole different era- when buildings actually were built by hand, and style was of the utmost importance. And places had character, and weren't just steel boxes with no soul. This place has soul- with the outstanding staff, restaurants, rooms, and more. You will never find another place like this. I'm so happy Milwaukee holds such a wonderful gem. We truly have one of the best hotels in the world. Only fitting for one of the best cities in the world!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

I used to dread traveling to Milwaukee for work, but ever since Iron Horse opens it's door, I look forward to going there.

This place is amazing!!!!

The decor is very unique, it's has masculine decor, yet elegant. There's always a large bowl of crispy green apple waiting for you in the lobby (perfect when you don't have time for breakfast)
The rooms are large, well decorated, comfy.
Service is excellent, everyone is very helpful and friendly.

It so convenient to have amazing restaurants inside the charming boutique hotel. Every meal I had at Iron Horse was memorable.

If I quake up on time, I would have breakfast in the Library, such a perfect atmosphere to quake up to. The food was really good.

I alway make sure to schedule dinner at Smyth. I am not exaggerating when I say, this is one of the most amazing meal ever!!!! Chef Thomas is ridiculously talented. He's never too busy to come out and great us, whenever we are in town. I always email ahead and let him know that we're coming, so that he would prepare a tasting dinner for us. everything on the menu is good!
We always start with the cheese plate and foie gras, then sear scallop, filet mignon or fish is good, i think I had the halibut , the veggie are alway super fresh.
He even customize a vegetarian dish for one of my colleague. Just thinking about this meal makes me salivate .
And if you just wanted to kill time and chill out, you can hangout at Branded, it's a perfect place to meet the locals....if you're there in the summertime, the lounge outside is exquisite.

Oh, and rumor has it, they have a gynormous hot tub in the basement, not sure if they're open yet, but that would just make this place more awesome.

I wouldn't dreaming of staying anywhere else but here, when I am in Milwaukee;)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Burton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

This stay was recommended to us by an employee of the Harley Davidson museum (which is just down the road from the hotel) that we met on the ferry over from Muskegon, Mi. The staff was very helpful and friendly...made you feel like you were VIP... A free drink at the check-in counter (the day we were there was Sangria day --yum!)
The room we had was beautiful...great restaurant and food... The outdoor bar area called "The Yard" had a gorgeous open seating area. You could sit at the bar...other tables with bar stools....or maybe lounge on a nearby sofa or comfy chair. The owner was out and about greeting the guests. You could tell he wanted to make sure your stay was the best it could be.
My husband particularly liked the nice parking area for motorcylces...and the motorcylce wash area provided by the hotel. Everything you needed to keep your bike looking great!
We ordered room service for the morning. I got an omlette and my husband ordered the french toast. It was delicious. The portions are huge...next time we'll split an order.
Our room was as nice..and actually maybe nicer...than hotel rooms we've had in Las Vegas. The decor was modern and beautiful. This isn't just any hotel - it is a very unique place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harleyholly77
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

I so appreciated the treatment that I received during my stay. Everyone was helpful and friendly. The room was very comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Milwaukee.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Johnston, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

I would not have expected to find one of the nicest hotels I've ever experienced in Milwaukee, but that's what we got during our stay. This is one of the few hotels we've found where you actually want to stay on site for the day and night. The staff is extraordinarily friendly and helpful, especially considering how busy it was during our time there. We would absolutely return and hope to do so soon.

There are almost too many items to list in the "good" category, but you can start with the rooms. Each room (based on other photos) is a little different but basically contains the same features: huge space, high ceilings, fantastic bathrooms, comfortable beds, and a stocked and not outrageously expensive mini bar. They are all loft style rooms with expose beams, tile, and brick. The dimmers on all the LED track lighting is a nice touch...one of the nicest rooms I've been in. The lobby is its own attraction, as overflow from the three bars and restaurant ends up here, making it a fun place to be. Great music makes its way through out the lobby and nearby indoor bar. The hotel restaurant was a nice place to have our anniversary dinner, with a decent wine list and good midwestern-style gormet. Where the real fun happens however is "The Yard", the hotel's outdoor patio bar. You know you are at a fun hotel when most of the people hanging out at your bar are not staying on-site...it is a great patio bar, with tons of table and sofa seating, great music, gas fireplaces, the works. This hotel has a lot going for it.

One of the only things I can list as "not good" were the location, which really wasn't that big of an issue. The hotel is in a warehouse district (it looks itself to be a renovated warehouse) near the Milwaukee rail line. We didn't notice the noise, but were on the front side of the property...I'd recommend requesting such a spot if you can, although you will hear an occasional motorcycle. You are a quick 15 minute walk to the third ward, where Milwaukee Ale house, the Market (a great indoor local market), and other bars reside. It's also a snap to have the front desk grab you a cab out to areas like Brady Street. Our only other issue was that you could at times hear the people in the next room. It wasn't distracting...and I'm a light sleeper and would have definitely noticed. I think it has to do with the vents bringing in some higher pitched sounds...as I never heard a television or anything like that. It was never such that we had to call the front desk or anything, just something we noticed once or twice during the weekend.

All in all, this is one of the nicest and most complete hotels you'll find. You can easily spend 10am to 2am at this place and feel like you had a great time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hawks80
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

My friends and I stayed at the Iron Horse Hotel on the recommendation of another friend. We were tempted to stay someplace less expensive, but we splurged and, holy moly, it was worth the few extra dollars. The check in was simple and they gave us free cocktails.

We spent the night out on the town. We were former Marquette students coming to town for a mini reunion and Brewer's game. I could not believe it, but when we asked about the best place to buy tickets, the hotel told us they had 4 tickets available for the game and they GAVE us the tickets. FOR FREE. And I am not talking about cheap seats. We were in the 100 level! And it was a bobblehead game!

As for the hotel, the lobby was beautiful and the room even better. We were worried about space with 4 women, but there was plenty of space. The service was excellent.

We had dinner in the restaurant, Smyth. It was a lovely meal and the server was very attentive. Dinner was expensive, but worth the extra cost.

All in all, a suprisingly great stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank MelanieS34
ironhorsehotel, General Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
Thank you so much for joining us! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your business.
Anna Anderson