“Perfect hotel for business or pleasure”
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Cleveland, OH
“Perfect hotel for business or pleasure”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Seriously, by far the best hotel I've stayed in when traveling for work in Milwaukee. Location is great - close to downtown, a few hundred yards from Harley-Davidson Museum. The room were immaculate - clean, comfortable, and decent size. Tall ceilings and exposed brick wall by the window is a very nice character touch. Even when the room door lock malfunctioned, the engineer was up within 1 minute and then took me to the bar, got me a free drink while I waited to get it fixed. The service is outstanding! The themes and parties they have on the outdoor patio (which has a bar and large lounge area) are outstanding. The owner Tim is around seemingly every night and is very heavily involved in operation - shows that someone with a vested interest cares. I go to Milwaukee for work 4-5 times a year and if I ever have to stay at a different hotel, I will be thoroughly disappointed. Keep up the great work guys and we'll be coming back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
atlanta
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I stayed at the Iron Horse to attend a 200 person wedding over the Labor Day weekend.
This hotel is hip, chic, and modern. From the moment the guests and I arrived to the conclusion of this spectacular event, it could not have been a more perfect and memorable day. The staff with their large smiles and accommodating ways went over and above to make each guest feel special. Executive chef Thomas Shultz and his culinary team hit a home run with the delicious and abundant food.The entire hotel management team not only anticipated every need but followed through with graciousness and perfect precision. Thank you Iron Horse staff & management for a most incredible and memorable weekend. If you are planning a wedding in Milwaukee.....this is the place to do it!....Congratulations Iron Horse for a job well done!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 September 2010

It was the weekend before Labor Day weekend, the weather forecast for the entire midwest was gorgeous and I decided on the spur of the moment Friday to ride from Chicago to Milwaukee for the start of a three State weekend road trip. I had seen the Iron Horse when I had visited the Harley-Davidson Museum in 2009 and was intrigued so I decided to make it my Friday night abode. I pulled in around 3:00 pm, the very helpfull Valet folks directed me to pull in next to the entrance to get checked in and then I could pull my bike around to the special Motorcycle Parking area. Check in was incredibly fast where I was offered a welcoming Lynchburg lemonade to wash the bugs out of my teeth. My room was gorgeous with a nice view, huge walk-in shower and all the amenities I could wish for. After a ride around Downtown Milwaukee, I came back to the Hotel where I entered what I describe as a puclhritude paradise, the Hotels outdoor patio, The Yard.It is chock full of friendly staff, perfect Grey Goose Martinis and of course, the patrons were all, what can I say, hip to the joint and fit right in. Sadly, I had to check out Saturday to continue my journey but what a great first night The Iron Horse turned out to be!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Stellar! I don't use that word lightly. The staff were friendly and sincere. The hotel is very chic and intriguing. The food is quite good and the patio space was a wonderful way to spend an evening. The room was excellent: comfortable, spacious and well appointed. Will return whenever I get the chance.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 September 2010

From the moment you drive into the entrance of the Iron Horse, you are greeted by the most helpful and friendly Valets! The Front Desk Staff are so on top of things that they must have memorized the night's guest list. Decor is amazing! From the American flag made out of old blue jeans, to the motorcycles in the lounge, to the leather furniture, to the smell of men's cologne; you immediately know this hotel is different than any other.
The rooms are unbelieveably gorgeous! Very masculine feel with cow hide bench and rustic wooden beams. Super comfy bed and all the amenities you could ever want in a night's stay away from home.
The bar off the lobby is very cool. Bartenders are eager to suggest local favorites or find out it'll take to quench your thirst. We didn't eat at Smyth, but The Yard outside offers food from the same menu, which is delicious! Great ambiance with the firepits and canopies. Big, over-stuffed outdoor furniture on which to lounge while wait staff brings you whatever your heart desires.
The Iron Horse should be the standard on which all other hotels are judged.

Suburban Illinois
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were very nicely appointed. Lobby was gorgeous. Very nice seating areas indoors and outdoors where you can watch all the bikes coming and going. Loved that our 120lb dog was not only tolerated, but welcomed and loved on by all the employees. Great that you are encouraged to bring your dog to the lobby area so long as on a leash. Loved that a pamphlet of dog-friendly restaurants and parks was given at check-in and dog treats and water stations are plentiful. Nice lobby bar with great selection of drinks. Very unique hotel that caters to motorcycle enthusiasts and dog lovers, which we happen to be both. Nice spacious rooms with plenty of countertop space in the bar area, lots of available plugs and nice size bathroom. Beds are very comfy. We stayed on the sixth floor, and there is a freight line railway right outside the window (this hotel used to be a warehouse). Since we were higher up, it was not very loud, but I could see how it would be with a lower level room. The staff was awesome. Very friendly, welcoming and helpful and helpful. Great proximity to Harley Davidson museum; however, will need transportation to get to third ward.

I feel like I am being a bit of a Debbie Downer with some of the comments I am about to make, and it certainly won’t keep us from coming back, but it truly doesn’t feel like the rooms are very well thought out. Decorating is unique and nicely done, but not very functional. Great Keurig pod coffee maker in the room with several varieties of coffee, but instead of nice mugs, there are paper cups. The coffee is so hot through the paper, you can’t even pick it up for several minutes. Shower is large and very nice with a rain shower head in the ceiling, but since you can’t completely divert it, the only way you can turn the water on is to unleash an ice cold blast on your head. The hand held shower head doesn’t fit very easily in the holder, so I ended up spraying water all over. Fortunately the nice matte finish tile dries quickly. Finally, there is not a reading lamp to be found in the room. All the lights are attached to the ceiling save for the desk lamp. The clock is a battery operated variety—the face does not glow in the dark—and no snooze. Not the greatest plan there. Smyth, the hotel restaurant, was pretty unremarkable. Nice wine list, but food was just okay and was overpriced like most hotel restaurants.

In any event, the positives by far outweigh the negatives. We will definitely be back--next time leaving the dog and home and bringing the bike!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Well i accidentally posted this in Smyth's Trip Advisor instead of the hotel, but here is it again.

My wife and I were able to experience the warm hospitality of The Iron Horse hotel recently and let me tell you that it is far beyond all expectations. My first thoughts of the hotel when I walked in the lobby was pure astonishment and awe, and not one person refused to give us a sincere and welcoming greeting from when we arrived to when we left making us feel at home the entire stay. Its beauty and unique style made me never want to leave.

Cory from the front desk was just great. He greeted us outside at the front doors, carried our luggage to the front desk and then checked us in to the most exciting rooms i have ever stayed in. He did the job it normally takes three men to do and he did even better than i could expect. We didn't ask for too much with our room, but you would have thought we were given one of the suites. Its bed you never wanted to get out of, its shower you never want to turn off and its view that you cant turn your eye from whether your looking out the window or at the gigantic mural of the gorgeous woman on the wall that you learn was made by a local artist who wanted to prove Milwaukee's beauty.

Thinking that it couldn't get much better we had to try out one of the most acclaimed restaurants in Milwaukee that was right in the hotel. Our experience in Smyth was unlike any we ever had. My wife loved the Scallops while I savored every bite of the Veal Chop, which is what John, our server, suggested and a good recommendation it was. It was full of flavor and style, just what i was looking for.

When the time came for us to leave we thought we would try out breakfast in the Library. The teamwork in here was amazing. I wouldn't have known Kevin was our server if he hadn't specified because there were four people refilling our coffees and asking how our stay in the hotel was. I'm glad that I ordered something light while my wife ordered the omelet because that meal was fit for two. It was definitely a good send off from the hotel. We will definitely come back