“don't miss this hotel”

Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“don't miss this hotel”
Reviewed 5 February 2011

The Iron Horse is a great destination all on it's own. It's like no other hotel you've been to - fun, sexy, classy but without being stuffy. It has a loft type feel and great decor. The staff is very personal and attentive. The new Route 66 Sunday brunch at Smyth is wonderful.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Once again my wife and I enjoyed another stay at this wonderful hotel. We can't decide what we like best, the atmosphere, the rooms and amenities, the staff, the restaraunts, its too hard to choose. The only easy choice is to stay here whenever we are in Milwaukee. Excellent place!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We went for a weekend and enjoyed the personal attention, cool surroundings, great bar and bar staff. We liked the way the hotel was constructed - the rooms are large, well appointed. We never felt rushed our entire time there. Nice place to chill

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 January 2011

This was my second stay at The Iron Horse and I left just as impressed as I did the first time. The staff is outstanding, the rooms are fantastic and the bar and restaurant are great. Top notch all across the board. I wish every hotel was this good. If I'm traveling to Milwaukee there is no way I would stay any where else.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This was the third time my husband and I have stayed at the Iron Horse. The last visit was during the summer when we travelled with other family members . This time we went alone and again, had a wonderful time. The hotel staff is remarkable and remembered us when we walked into the lobby. The staff does not wear name tags and at first I questioned that practice. But I have come to understand their philosophy; if they give excellant service, you will remember their names. And I do..........Corey, Constance, Michael, Erika, Allie, Troy, just to name a few who made our weekend memorable.
The check-in process was swift and our luggage was taken to our room as we immediately went in to Smyth, their first class gourmet restaurant. The thing I like the best about Smyth, is although it is fine dining at it's best, one does not have to dress for the occasion. The service, delivery, presentation and quality of our meals were outstanding. While we are not big drinkers, I did enjoy several cocktails over the course of the weekend and found their liquor to be top shelf. I am rarely able to find chartruse and should have known they would have it. Our room was as we expected and better. The beds are very comfortable and I find that I sleep better there than I do at home. The linens are similar to what we had in Germany, with a comfy duvet and plenty of pillows, both firm and soft. Room service was prompt and couteous. We used the workout room during our stay and found the equipment to be as good as the YMCA we belong to at home. It felt good to work out prior to starting the day, which included meals at the hotel and other fine establishments in town. I know that we will go to this hotel again, summer time is especially fun when we can use the yard, their outdoor bar and sitting area. For a staycation in Milwaukee, the Iron Horse is the place to go!!!!!

Reviewed 25 January 2011

I travel to very nice hotels all over the country for work and this is the nicest, hippest place I have been to. They have done a great job with getting the right vibe going and making it a gem. The front desk is minimal so you fell like the room is more like your condo than a hotel room. The welcome cocktail was perfect. The bar and library are just right. We ate at the restaurant and the food and service were excellent. Stay at the Iron Horse, eat at Smyth and then get out on the town and enjoy Milwaukee.

Reviewed 12 January 2011

Not wanting to go out on an expensive all you can drink New Year's evening, my husband and I decided instead on a nice getaway to Milwaukee for 2 nights. From the first moment we found the Iron Horse online, we could tell from the amazing photos of the rooms that it was going to be the right place to spend some quality time. We were completely in when we discovered that they allowed dogs!

We had no idea that being able to bring our dog meant that there would be a sign welcoming our dog(!), that the library room would be so quaint with a wood-burning fire and that breakfast in the library would be so pleasant, that all the staff would be so inviting and that the staff would be so wonderful!

I didn't give 5 out of 5 stars on location as the property is not in walking distance of anything and for value as the room was fairly expensive.

We would highly recommend the Iron Horse Hotel as we felt most welcomed!

1 Thank LindseyMarcus