“We expected more interesting food”
Review of Mai Thai - CLOSED

Mai Thai
Cuisines: Thai
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Milwaukee
“We expected more interesting food”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I realized we hadn't been to Mai Thai for a couple of years and dropped in for dinner on a Friday evening. We were seated immediately and our server was very pleasant. We ordered 2 appetizers and 1 entree, which was the right amount of food for us. All of our dishes were simply flavored and nothing to remember.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Bets54

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“*NEW management* - Delicious lunch”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I couldn't help but notice some of the poor previous reviews, and I wanted to mention that this place is now under new ownership or management (I can't remember which), as mentioned by our waiter while we were chatting. So hopefully those of you with horrible experiences will give it another shot.

In all honesty I hadn't even heard of this place - a few coworkers suggested going here for lunch. I'm a big fan of Thainamyte just down the street, so I had my doubts about if this place would be as good. It was a pleasant surprise! They have a lunch menu for $9 where you get to choose an appetizer, a soup, AND an entree (and they do NOT charge you extra for adding meat to it). Fabulous deal! I had the pud thai with chicken at a spice level of 3 (scale was 0-4) and it was perfect - NOTHING like the experience that reviewer had in April. The soup was spicy and delicious and my spring roll was piping hot and crispy on the outside like it should be. Portions were perfect. Our waiter was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. The inside is very beautiful and comforting. I can imagine it looks even better at night.

I would say my only 'complaints' (and I really use that term loosely) were that despite the fact we were only one of two tables for lunch on a Wednesday, everything seemed to take longer than it should. The entrees especially seemed to take quite awhile. Not to the point where we were upset, but we WERE on a break from work and therefore cognizant about time, so it made us nervous. Thainamyte definitely has a leg up on the speed issue. Secondly, they seemed to forget about the music a couple times. When we first got there we must have been the first customers so they turned on some ambient music, but at some point it stopped. I only realized when we were leaving and they turned it back on that it had been silent nearly the whole time. Since there were 4 of us we chatted enough to not notice, but some sound would have been nice, especially when the other table of customers came in.

All in all, it was a good experience. I'd go back.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank HappyTraveler3434
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful and Beyond Redemption”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is the first negative review I've ever posted about a restaurant and I'm taking time out of my day to post it on every review site possible. Where do I begin? My wife and I were debating between the packed Cempazuchi (which was a Mexican restaurant across the street that had a 30 minute wait), and this Thai place, which only had three tables seated at 7:00 on a Saturday in the entire restaurant. That right there should have been our hint to stay away, but we decided to give it a go anyway. The atmosphere is pleasant and the bar area, while small, looks pretty cool. That's the end of the positive things I have to say about Mah Thai.

We ordered Pud Thai with Tofu and the Volcano Dish with Tofu, along with multiple "Martini" and "Margarita" drinks. At $8 a pop we started drinking them and thought "Wow! This must be made really well, because you can't taste the alcohol at all!" ... turns out that's because there was virtually no alcohol in them. We should have been ripped from those drinks and didn't feel a tingle of a buzz half an hour later. It was obvious they put virtually no hard liquor in them. We paid $24 for three glorified Kool-Aids.

For the food, the Pud Thai was probably the worst I have ever tasted. Very mushy, no flavor, no spice, way too much lime. I wouldn't eat that garbage if it was free; microwave Pad Thai is better. The Volcano dish was edible but nothing worth near the $14 for which we paid. The tofu chunks were well made but there was very little sauce and virtually no vegetables in the dish. It was basically fried tofu chunks and rice.

After finishing one of the meals (and leaving the Pud Thai virtually untouched) I told the waitress that we were willing to pay for the rest of the meal but we wanted to have the Pud Thai taken back because we were very unhappy with the dish. She took the dish back and brought us our check with the full amount for everything noted (including the terrible Pad Thai). I took her into the bar area (which was empty, again, at 7:00 on a Saturday night), and told her I would not be paying for the dish. She gave me some story about having to pay for it herself if I didn't pay for it but I wasn't buying it. I put down the cash to pay for the rest of the meal (and still gave her a decent tip even though it was a terrible experience) and left.

I thought that was the end of my terrible dining experience, but alas, I was mistaken. Several hours later while watching TV at home with my wife, I began to experience major intestinal issues. After sprinting to the bathroom, I spent the next 20 minutes with explosive diarrhea. Half an hour later, I was back on the toilet for another round.

Because of all this (and it appears I'm not the first to have strongly negative reactions to this place). I anticipate that Mah Thai will be out of business in the near future. I sincerely hope that all of you reading this review will speed the departure of this place by not only NOT dining at this restaurant, but telling others not to dine there as well.

Thanks.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Josh M
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Incredibly Disrespectful”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I took my girlfriend here for lunch one day (we would go periodically for the pad thai). I had ordered spicy pad thai, and my girlfriend one at a '0' spice level. After about 3 minutes into the meal she said it was way too hot for her, and after I tasted her dish, it was obvious the chef had mistakenly given her a spicy order. Despite hardly touching her dish, the waitress refused to correct the mistake, and instead insinuated that we were trying to rip off the restaurant by asking the dish be replaced with the correct order. After insulting us, the waitress brought over a bowl sweet sauce so that my girlfriend could try and drown out the spice... Needless to say, we have not returned since.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Jon R
Racine, Wisconsin
“Another Average Thai Place in Milwaukee”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Usually I tend to eat at a restaurant several times before reviewing but I think I can safely write this review after one visit. The good thing I liked about the restaurant is that it closes later than other Thai places. This was the main reason I came here. Prices were like most other Thai restaurants. The interior was pleasant. When I got the appetizer, it tasted pretty spicy (level 2) and very fresh. I got a good first impression of the food. Then I got the other three main dishes. The green curry lacked curry and we were charged $2 for extra. Pad see ew was also ok and the sweet basil chicken was just ok. Nothing seemed to be spectacular. All dishes were also ordered at spicy 2 level, which was more like 1 or less. I was more disappointed in how dry some of the poultry came out but otherwise everything else here was just fine. Service was nice and friendly. Downside is trying to find parking (since it is the drinking area of Milwaukee).

• Visited August 2012