“Nice room sizes and service, but noisy.”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #39 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
chicago
“Nice room sizes and service, but noisy.”
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I thought the hotel had a great location and the valet parking was excellent. All of the staff was friendly and helpful.

The room we had was really nice. It was a king size room, with the whirlpool tub, 2 tvs, couch and seating area. We were really happy with the room, until we tried to sleep.

There is some club or something across the street that pounds bass until 2 in the morning. We were on the 5th floor and this was loud. I could have zoned that out, but then whenever our heat would kick on there was a terrible loud pounding and clicking noises. So we slept terribly.

We tried to turn the heat up and then turn it off, so it would only run once and then be off. However it either is hot or cold air that will come up. So if you crank it to 75 for the night then want to go to bed at 70, it turns the air on to cool it down.

The next day we told them about this and there were supposedly going to fix it. They did not fix either the thermostat, or the pounding when the heat kicked on. And obviously they could do nothing about the bass.

So I would not recommend this hotel unless you can get a quiet room, which I would imagine there has to be a some. I think maybe towards the front of the building instead of the rear.

In addition to this, our closet had a terrible smell in in.

The pluses for me were the free valet, the 25 food/bar voucher and the free wi-fi.

I would stay here again, but only if I could have a quiet room.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the opposite side from the clubs.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
WEST BEND
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I slept like a kitten in this gorgeous Art Deco hotel! Comfy bed, turndown service, heavy blinds, and good control of room temperature. The saltwater jacuzzi with a small waterfall on the top floor was so relaxing and I loved the view. My suite starred a jacuzzi tub, two comfy chairs in front of a fireplace, and a well-equipped mini bar. Nice Aveda products too. I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure...solo, a night out with friends, or for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Stayed here overnight as my partner's employer had a holiday party downtown and it was close.

We chose the King Deluxe room which was quite spacious, but had a strange layout. When you walked into the room, there was a half moon wall that surrounded the "bedroom" area and the other side had a couch and chair along with an LCD TV mounted on the wall.

While the room was nice and had a "modern" feel, it really could have been cleaned/dusted a bit better. It was not dirty by any means, but the tops of the TV and light fixtures and such had a rather thick layer of dust. Not what I would expect for a place that normally charged almost $200/night for the room.

The room had the usual coffee pot, mini fridge (fully stocked with juice, soda, liquor, etc) and a safe. The bathroom was HUGE with a very large tub and shower combo. The shower and tub had their own separate controls, which was nice. The hotel uses Aveda products for their shampoo, body wash and bar soaps, which was an added bonus as I LOVE Aveda!

If you are going to stay here, I would highly suggest that you get a room that does NOT have an adjoining door to the room next to you. We were up quite late and were trying to sleep in, but the people next to us were talking quite loudly and it sounded as if they were sitting on the bed with me! It was clear all of the sound was coming right through the connecting door, so beware!

All in all, I'd stay there again, but only if I was able to get a cheaper rate as I don't see it being worth the normal price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 December 2010

We were staying at the Pfister just around the corner when we came across the Metro. The Lounge and restaurant looked inviting so we went there for drinks & dinner and couldn't have been more pleased. Very nice atmosphere, good service and outstanding food. Highly recommend

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Checked in for a 5 day Thanksgiving holiday vacation. The room was dirty, tatered and just tacky. This hotel was touted as "hip" and "in" and it was none of that. Lackluster staff, dead lobby, the cafe was closed and there was NO service on Thanksgiving day!! And worst of all they didn't even tell us that there was no housekeeping service that day!! And they call it a hotel??? They have spa tubs in the rooms and the room smelled moldy with bad linens. Interestingly enough the prices were high. Very dissapointing, very!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FunTravelerForSure
Woodstock, VT
Reviewed 6 December 2010

When you enter Hotel Metro, you see a couple of framed notices announcing that it was honored as One of the 500 top hotels in the world by Travel & Leisure. While there are many things to like about the hotel, I'd say that they have a ways to go to achieve a “luxury hotel” standard.

First, the good news: I stayed in a master suite, which was not only reasonably priced, but the most comfortable suite I've had in ages. It was well-designed, the furniture was comfortable, the bathroom well laid out. The bed was extremely comfortable, the linens and towels high quality, and the bathroom stocked with Aveda products. The room service menu was filled with interesting and tasty choices and when I ordered a sandwich, it was delivered quickly and was hot and yummy.

The Cafe Metro, the hotel’s restaurant, offers an interesting range of menu items. I had a salad and a BLT for lunch and both were terrific and served with excellent house-made potato chips. There's a good range of beers on tap and large pours on drinks. The wine list was a bit more less thrilling, but there were some drinkable choices by the glass and bottle. I'd come for lunch or dinner if I was in the area and be pleased with my choice. It's not fancy food, but high-quality.

Now, the quibbles. The bandwidth in the hotel is execrable. You can check your email on the hotel's wifi, but don't expect to be sending your colleagues any big documents. Or even a smallish PDF. And you won't be steaming Netflix to your iPad. This is truly terrible wifi.

But there are other, inexplicable lapses that are inconsistent with high-quality service. Here's an example: I asked for a feather pillow after my first night and was told that the hotel didn't have any feather pillows. WTF, I thought: no feather pillows in a “luxury” hotel? When I asked again about 2 pm, I was told that the hotel did indeed have "a few" feather pillows and that two of them would be delivered to my room "right away." When I got back from dinner at 10:30 pm, there were no feather pillows, though when I called the front desk, my pillows were finally delivered.

Here's another example: we ordered room service breakfast for group with two pots of coffee. The breakfast order was incorrect--and there were no coffee cups. Rather than bringing the cups to our room and then bringing the food when it was ready, we got our coffee cups and food, together, 25 minutes later.

Be aware that there are cobblestones in the crosswalk at the corner of Mason & Milwaukee, which increases the amount of noise from vehicles crossing the streets. If you want a quiet room, you want to be as far away from this intersection as possible.

The staff can get you a pass for a health club a couple of blocks away. Be sure they send you to the right one, though....

So the bottom line: I liked the Hotel Metro and I'd stay there again. But the hotel staff could use some serious training--and it needs a new network, pronto.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Milwaukee
Reviewed 11 November 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Metro for our wedding night and it was an absolutely wonderful stay! We stayed in a room that had a hot tub and it was huge! The room service was very nice and the gas fireplace was a really nice touch. We would definitely recommend this hotel to business travelers and leisure travelers. The restaurant on the first floor of the building is also really good. It has a really trendy feel, especially for Milwaukee!

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple