“Great staff disappointing management”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #40 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
New York City, New York
“Great staff disappointing management”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

It's a good hotel, rooms are great, cleverly designed suites, but at the hotel restaurant which I visited because there was no room service menu in my room, I was appalled to receive pork bits placed on top of the my fish and have the manager say that was the chef's customary practice - no mention of it in the menu and I had to complain alot before they removed my charges for being served pork unknowingly! Likewise a visit to the tiny health club was disappointing give the sauna "needed a fuse installed" but no one could come change the fuse... pretty bad if you ask me, also no towels set out nothing. What's the point of advertising a spa if the equipment doesn't work... Very nice staff though.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
San Francisco, California, USA
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My friend and I just wanted to check out Milwaukee. Not only was the hotel really central- we could walk to good food and drinks (including the Safe House bar), but the service was exemplary. They have a London-style cab with which they will drop off and pick you up from nearby places. The guy gave us a 45- minute driving tour around Milwaukee- narrating it the whole time. We loved it- would definitely recommend them!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
chicago
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I thought the hotel had a great location and the valet parking was excellent. All of the staff was friendly and helpful.

The room we had was really nice. It was a king size room, with the whirlpool tub, 2 tvs, couch and seating area. We were really happy with the room, until we tried to sleep.

There is some club or something across the street that pounds bass until 2 in the morning. We were on the 5th floor and this was loud. I could have zoned that out, but then whenever our heat would kick on there was a terrible loud pounding and clicking noises. So we slept terribly.

We tried to turn the heat up and then turn it off, so it would only run once and then be off. However it either is hot or cold air that will come up. So if you crank it to 75 for the night then want to go to bed at 70, it turns the air on to cool it down.

The next day we told them about this and there were supposedly going to fix it. They did not fix either the thermostat, or the pounding when the heat kicked on. And obviously they could do nothing about the bass.

So I would not recommend this hotel unless you can get a quiet room, which I would imagine there has to be a some. I think maybe towards the front of the building instead of the rear.

In addition to this, our closet had a terrible smell in in.

The pluses for me were the free valet, the 25 food/bar voucher and the free wi-fi.

I would stay here again, but only if I could have a quiet room.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the opposite side from the clubs.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
WEST BEND
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I slept like a kitten in this gorgeous Art Deco hotel! Comfy bed, turndown service, heavy blinds, and good control of room temperature. The saltwater jacuzzi with a small waterfall on the top floor was so relaxing and I loved the view. My suite starred a jacuzzi tub, two comfy chairs in front of a fireplace, and a well-equipped mini bar. Nice Aveda products too. I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure...solo, a night out with friends, or for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Stayed here overnight as my partner's employer had a holiday party downtown and it was close.

We chose the King Deluxe room which was quite spacious, but had a strange layout. When you walked into the room, there was a half moon wall that surrounded the "bedroom" area and the other side had a couch and chair along with an LCD TV mounted on the wall.

While the room was nice and had a "modern" feel, it really could have been cleaned/dusted a bit better. It was not dirty by any means, but the tops of the TV and light fixtures and such had a rather thick layer of dust. Not what I would expect for a place that normally charged almost $200/night for the room.

The room had the usual coffee pot, mini fridge (fully stocked with juice, soda, liquor, etc) and a safe. The bathroom was HUGE with a very large tub and shower combo. The shower and tub had their own separate controls, which was nice. The hotel uses Aveda products for their shampoo, body wash and bar soaps, which was an added bonus as I LOVE Aveda!

If you are going to stay here, I would highly suggest that you get a room that does NOT have an adjoining door to the room next to you. We were up quite late and were trying to sleep in, but the people next to us were talking quite loudly and it sounded as if they were sitting on the bed with me! It was clear all of the sound was coming right through the connecting door, so beware!

All in all, I'd stay there again, but only if I was able to get a cheaper rate as I don't see it being worth the normal price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 December 2010

We were staying at the Pfister just around the corner when we came across the Metro. The Lounge and restaurant looked inviting so we went there for drinks & dinner and couldn't have been more pleased. Very nice atmosphere, good service and outstanding food. Highly recommend

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Checked in for a 5 day Thanksgiving holiday vacation. The room was dirty, tatered and just tacky. This hotel was touted as "hip" and "in" and it was none of that. Lackluster staff, dead lobby, the cafe was closed and there was NO service on Thanksgiving day!! And worst of all they didn't even tell us that there was no housekeeping service that day!! And they call it a hotel??? They have spa tubs in the rooms and the room smelled moldy with bad linens. Interestingly enough the prices were high. Very dissapointing, very!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple