“Reasonably Priced; Great Room; Central Location”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #39 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
“Reasonably Priced; Great Room; Central Location”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The Hotel Metro is a quality 4-star hotel that is well suited for a business traveler or someone enjoying the Milwaukee nightlife. I was in Milwaukee on business, and chose the Hotel Metro for its central location. I was not disappointed. All of my meetings were within walking distance of the hotel. Valet parking is available at a reasonable rate, and the lobby is very comfortable and inviting as a meeting point.

My room was very large. The hotel makes great use of a 3/4-height wall to great two seperate and distinct spaces within the room. The livingroom area has a comfortable couch and two chairs, along with a desk, honor bar and flat screen TV. The bedroom area has a king-sized bed with flat panel television nightstands and plenty of storage for clothes and personal belongings.

The bathroom is very large, and has a tub that is easily twice the size of a standard bath tub. There is a seperate shower. The vaniety has ample space for toiletries.

The free wi-fi boast a strong signal and high speed access to the internet. The wi-fi is among the best I've found in any hotel. Strong signal throughout the room and in/around the hotel.

I have stayed at the Pfister Hotel; the Hyatt and InterContinental in Milwaukee. I prefer the Hotel Metro to those hotels.

The Pfister centrally located and is the most grand and elegant of these hotels, but is almost double the nightly rate of the Hotel Metro. To me, the difference in accomodations does not warrant paying the extra cost. Hotel Metro is the pick over the Pfister based on value.

The Hyatt is comparably priced, but not centrally located. Also, the Hyatt rooms are tired and in desperate need of updating. Hotel Metro is the pick over the Hyatt based on location and comfort.

The InterContinental is comparably priced, but does not offer the comfort or optimal location. The InterContinental rooms are small, and some of the rooms need updating. The InterContinental is located near the Marcus Center, but is too far from the business district (especially in the cold Milwaukee winter). Hotel Metro is the pick over the InterContinental based on location and comfort.

I plan to stay at the Hotel Metro on my next trip to Milwaukee, and would encourage others to do the same.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank STP1606
Kris_Willis, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Happy Holidays STP 1606!! Thank you for writing an awesome TripAdvisor review for Hotel Metro and the team!! We understand you have many choices in downtown Milwaukee when visiting and we look forward to your next stay with us.
I wanted to give you a little information on our 3/4 walls in our suites since you had complimented on how well we used it! Hotel Metro was designed in 1937 as an office building. The curvature of the northwest corner main entrance had a big architectural influence when capturing the art deco elegance throughout the hotel. The smooth curves are used throughout with the front desk, the walnut and chrome pillars in the lobby and METRO, the glass entrance immediately inside the front entrance and the 3/4 walls that were added to create our guest suites.
We look forward to your next stay with us and if you would like additional information, please ask for myself or any of our Rock Star staff can give you historical 'tidbits' on Hotel Metro and what makes it so amazing.

Kris Willis, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Second time staying here. Great retro hotel. Good restaurant, nice saltwater hot tub. Rooms very large with great amenities. Friendly staff. Place has some kinks like noisy radiators and thin walls which can be a distraction. Stayed in 502 which had two bedrooms but problems with the radiator. Small exercise room with only a few pieces of equipment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dick A
Kris_Willis, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you Dick A for your review on Tripadivsor from your past overnight stay, and for choosing Hotel Metro for your hotel accommodations while in Milwaukee.
Hotel Metro is heated and cooled from using steam heat which is not only Green, but also part of our Historic Hotel charm. We apologize for any inconveniences that you may have had to heating, but please know we are currently working on having each suite equipped with a great thermostat and reporting system for our future guests.
We are also glad that you choose to use our rooftop exercise and spa facility and will take note on the comment of equipment; we try to cover all the exercise needs of our guests with treadmills, bicycles, stair climber and free weights in a limited room area. You will notice changes on your next stay!
Thank you again for choosing Hotel Metro in downtown Milwaukee and we look forward to having you as our guest in the near future.
Kris Willis - General Manager
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Well, we tried it again, mistake, big mistake. I just don't get it, why would anyone stay here? The rooms are smelly, noisy and the staff is less than professional. Great location and wonderful lobby restuarant. Hopefully one day they will redo the place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Had a wonderful romantic evening at The Hotel Metro. We loved the charm. Our room had a fireplace and an two person Jacuzzi as well as a separate shower. The room was huge. My only complaint is I hated the pillows and the curtains let a lot of light in a night. We thought the staff was very friendly and loved our ride in the London cab to our dinner reservations. We asked for a later check out and they were happy to accommodate us. We had sunday brunch and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend staying here if you are looking for some romance and charm.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kimpardoedemartino
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Our 4-day stay at Hotel Metro couldn't have been better. I loved the Art Deco styling, the courteous staff and the central location. On Saturday my husband and I made the short walk east to the Milwaukee Art Museum perched right on Lake Michigan; enjoyed a current exhibition there; lingered over a wonderful seafood lunch another short walk away at Harbor House; shopped the unique boutiques and funky shops in the Third Ward warehouse district (got there by foot, of course), and attended the party with a live band in Hotel Metro's bar that evening. Special thanks to Marc, Latrelle and Ann(e) for making us feel so welcome.

We plan to return in the summer to enjoy the rooftop bar and spa.

One small suggestion: We would have appreciated a small microwave in the room with which to heat up our coffee.

Room Tip: Because we were staying for four nights, the reservationist was kind enough to book us a suite away...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QueenOfComfort
Kris_Willis, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you Queenofcomfort for your review of Hotel Metro on Tripadvisor. You have named a few of our amazing Star employees and we have shared your comments with them!

Hotel Metro offers microwaves upon guest request - so please keep that in mind for your future stays with us.

Zen on seven our rooftop seating area and bar opens mid May through September on Monday nights to the public starting at 5:00pm, so we will see you there in 2014!!

We know you have many choices for hotel accommodations in downtown Milwaukee, so thank you again for choosing Hotel Metro for your recent stay and we look forward to having you as our guest in the near future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The location is great. We were walking distance from many restaurants, bars, and shows.

The reception staff were adaquate. We came up to the desk to check in as one of the reception members had just taken a bite of food, which I found odd. After she was done chewing, there was no problem getting checked in. When we went to the desk to check out, there was no reception staff. The doorman came up before we could ring the bell for service. The doorman was fantastic and took our keys, notified the reception staff wherever they had been, and got us a cab.

The room was OK. We were in a large suite. It was re-modeled but seemed to have been done in a hurry based on the semi-sloppy paint job. There was also visable puffs of air freshener venting into the hallway, which was a bit overwhelming. Lastly, the suite was a good size, but there were panels cut between the bedroom and sitting area. So, if you want to have quiet to sleep while others are in the sitting area, that would be difficult.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Feona123
Kris_Willis, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Feona123,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Metro. Our goal is to provide you with exceptional service to ensure that you and all of our guests is a pleasant one.

I have addressed your issues with our appropriate department leaders so that they can correct the issues and look into them to advice their team.

I hope to welcome you back soon, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if i can assist you in the future.

Respectfully,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 October 2013

When my usual hotel in Milwaukee was not available (The fabulous Ironhorse Hotel), we decided to try Hotel Metro.

This place is just ripe for a make over. The right investor could make this hotel into an unbelievably trendy & cool place.

The Good-
*Walking distance to restaurants
*I got lucky, and had a HUGE corner room.
*The building itself has great "bones". Lots of potential for a badly needed makeover.
*Staff was kooky , but very nice
*Towels, toiletries , mini bar- all good.

The Bad-
*The decor was a bit criminal. My room had original canvasses on the walls that had nothing to do with the overall decor of the room or hotel. As if someones family member wanted to showcase their work.
*My HUGE room had one TV set, in the bedroom. So there was this huge sitting area & dinning area, that was a bit wasted. Had bi breakfast in bed, rather than on the room's dine -in area, so I can hear the news as I got ready.
*There is a short flight of stairs between the check in area and the elevators. No one offered to help with our luggage, so it was a bit cumbersome.

The Ugly
*All the furniture was pretty worn out. The tables all had bad water stains (fixable with a warm iron & a towel, if you want to know), the couch was worn, The mismatched curtains were yellowed.
*The light in my bathroom (also in my colleagues room) was pretty non existent. Bathrooms need yo have enough light that you can put make up on, and so on. Need to fix this!
*Room service experience was sloppy. The cover for the food was all scratched up & stained. There wasn't enough silverware for my breakfast (spoon anyone?) and some of my food was burnt.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Soloisaida,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I have discussed your unpleasant experiences with our Room Service team and our maintenance team so that we have the opportunity to fix them and create a positive experience for future guests.

Hotel Metro is an Historic hotel, built in 1937 and then opened again as a hotel 15-years ago. Our interior designer commissioned a local artist to paint playful interpretations of well-known paintings done between the early 1920's and 1940's. This style also plays into the Art Moderne look and feel with cool colors and lines. (Far different from the amazing Iron Horse Hotel)

I hope to welcome you back to Hotel Metro and Milwaukee soon, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist you in the future.

Kind regards,