“TERRIBLE HOTEL”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #41 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Checked in for a 5 day Thanksgiving holiday vacation. The room was dirty, tatered and just tacky. This hotel was touted as "hip" and "in" and it was none of that. Lackluster staff, dead lobby, the cafe was closed and there was NO service on Thanksgiving day!! And worst of all they didn't even tell us that there was no housekeeping service that day!! And they call it a hotel??? They have spa tubs in the rooms and the room smelled moldy with bad linens. Interestingly enough the prices were high. Very dissapointing, very!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FunTravelerForSure

Reviewed 6 December 2010

When you enter Hotel Metro, you see a couple of framed notices announcing that it was honored as One of the 500 top hotels in the world by Travel & Leisure. While there are many things to like about the hotel, I'd say that they have a ways to go to achieve a “luxury hotel” standard.

First, the good news: I stayed in a master suite, which was not only reasonably priced, but the most comfortable suite I've had in ages. It was well-designed, the furniture was comfortable, the bathroom well laid out. The bed was extremely comfortable, the linens and towels high quality, and the bathroom stocked with Aveda products. The room service menu was filled with interesting and tasty choices and when I ordered a sandwich, it was delivered quickly and was hot and yummy.

The Cafe Metro, the hotel’s restaurant, offers an interesting range of menu items. I had a salad and a BLT for lunch and both were terrific and served with excellent house-made potato chips. There's a good range of beers on tap and large pours on drinks. The wine list was a bit more less thrilling, but there were some drinkable choices by the glass and bottle. I'd come for lunch or dinner if I was in the area and be pleased with my choice. It's not fancy food, but high-quality.

Now, the quibbles. The bandwidth in the hotel is execrable. You can check your email on the hotel's wifi, but don't expect to be sending your colleagues any big documents. Or even a smallish PDF. And you won't be steaming Netflix to your iPad. This is truly terrible wifi.

But there are other, inexplicable lapses that are inconsistent with high-quality service. Here's an example: I asked for a feather pillow after my first night and was told that the hotel didn't have any feather pillows. WTF, I thought: no feather pillows in a “luxury” hotel? When I asked again about 2 pm, I was told that the hotel did indeed have "a few" feather pillows and that two of them would be delivered to my room "right away." When I got back from dinner at 10:30 pm, there were no feather pillows, though when I called the front desk, my pillows were finally delivered.

Here's another example: we ordered room service breakfast for group with two pots of coffee. The breakfast order was incorrect--and there were no coffee cups. Rather than bringing the cups to our room and then bringing the food when it was ready, we got our coffee cups and food, together, 25 minutes later.

Be aware that there are cobblestones in the crosswalk at the corner of Mason & Milwaukee, which increases the amount of noise from vehicles crossing the streets. If you want a quiet room, you want to be as far away from this intersection as possible.

The staff can get you a pass for a health club a couple of blocks away. Be sure they send you to the right one, though....

So the bottom line: I liked the Hotel Metro and I'd stay there again. But the hotel staff could use some serious training--and it needs a new network, pronto.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Metro for our wedding night and it was an absolutely wonderful stay! We stayed in a room that had a hot tub and it was huge! The room service was very nice and the gas fireplace was a really nice touch. We would definitely recommend this hotel to business travelers and leisure travelers. The restaurant on the first floor of the building is also really good. It has a really trendy feel, especially for Milwaukee!

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I was really looking forward to staying in an art deco "boutique" hotel in Milwaukee last weekend, but I was terribly disappointed. I had made a reservation at the Hilton, but thought I would try something different, less corporate, so I made a reservation at the Metro Hotel. I wish I would have kept my reservation at Hilton! The Metro Hotel was terrible and more expensive than the Hilton. Our non-smoking room smelled like smoke with nasty fragrances trying to cover up the smell making it even worse. The carpet was stained and the curtains were so dirty that I didn't want to touch them. The room was large, but that is all it had going for it. I would NOT recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelbug90587
Reviewed 30 July 2010

My husband and I stayed two nights at Hotel Metro for our 3 year wedding anniversary. Hotel Metro is listed as a Historic Hotel of America. I get a discounted rate at Historic Hotels of America through my employer, which is why we chose this hotel in Milwaukee. When we made our initial reservation they upgraded us to the Spa Suite because we mentioned it was our anniversary. When we checked in to the hotel they upgraded us again, to the Master Suite! The suite was fabulous. It had a separate bedroom with king bed/flat screen/closet. There was a sitting room with table/chairs/wet bar/stocked fridge/etc. A living room with flat screen/chairs/couch/desk/etc. The bathroom had a large hot tub/shower/awesome vanity. Bathrobes and plenty of towels provided. The entire exterior of the room was large windows that overlooked downtown Milwaukee/Third Ward district. Excellent location - super close to the Milwaukee Art Museum, Water Street (bars), the lakefront, shopping, city market, and a TON of great restaurants (SakeTumi, Charro, etc) were in the same block. The hotel also has a great restaurant/bar on the street level. Happy Hour specials were actually affordable! Friday nights are $5 martini's. They also have cheap appetizers. Breakfast, dinner, etc were also available. Lobby was nice. The hotel style is very ART DECO, very unique, not your typical old hotel in Milwaukee. The top floor of Hotel Metro has a SWEET lounge area that's both indoor/outdoor. We went up there late and night & were the only people up there. It is a fabulous view of the nightlife (city lights, music, etc). The top level also has a workout room with great views of the city, a spa by appointment, sauna & a hot tub with rain shower/changing rooms. We were mad that we forgot our swim attire! This was a great getaway for our 3rd anniversary. We were looking for relaxation, but also some night life and exploration. This was the perfect hotel and location to do all of those things. The only thing that sucked a bit was the parking - we decided to pay for valet @ $25 a night. There was also a wedding party in the room next to us the first night that was cranking music, but we called the desk and they helped the situation as best as they could. Because of the room discount I get, we will definitely stay here again next time we're in Milwaukee.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I can't say enough about the Hotel Metro! We had a two bedroom suite that two couples shared for three nights. We loved the room (though BOTH rooms should have doors that close and walls that go to the ceiling for privacy), the lobby, the bar, the location, and Zen on 7. In fact we had friends from two other hotels come to ours for drinks and rooftop viewing of fireworks. Just perfect. The gym was solid and had high quality machines, the hot tub was amazing--with views to the city on the roof. The bartenders were nice and extremely patient. The food in the restaurant was tasty (far better than i expected to be honest). And the staff were almost all excellent. (Staff working at the desk need to be trained a bit better on giving travel related info however--so double check things!) And did i mention the bikes? (we didn't have time to use them, they will be for the next trip though.) The Art Museum is easy walking distance, as is the lakefront and the riverwalk. This is the only place in downtown Milwaukee i would stay!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Hotel Metro, Milwaukee for one night. The valet parking was very convenient, at a $25 charge. The room had one queen bed and two tv's, which was thoughtful. Large, beautiful bathroom. The room was really immaculate when we arrived. The bed area is completely separated from the lounge area by a wall partition, with one of the tv's in the lounge area, one in the bed area. I know I already mentioned it being clean, but it has been a long time since I've seen a hotel this clean. (Admittedly, I don't travel much.) The curtains, furniture, and bed linens were obviously very new, as well as the carpet. Staff was very friendly. The hotel is in walking distance of many downtown shops, restaurants, the art museum, and the gallery district.

• Stayed: July 2010