“Saved by the Front Desk”

Holiday Inn Milwaukee Riverfront
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Madison
“Saved by the Front Desk”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I purchased the room through an online discount travel agency. When I was ready to check in, the hotel didn't have my name. I started to panic, but the gal at the front desk went above and beyond to contact the agency and get the issue straightened out. We we able to get our room after all and really appreciate her help. We stayed in a room that had yet to be remodeled and it was still nice and very large. My only suggestion would be to remodel the indoor pool, as well. It was very small and only 4 ft deep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Milwaukee River. It's beautiful!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Shalen L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milwaukee Riverfront, responded to this review, 1 October 2014
Kathy,

Thanks for your review of your most recent stay at the Milwaukee River Inn. We're glad your experience was up to par with what you expected and we're so happy to have helped you sort out the issues presented booking with a third party. Though we are undergoing a major change in our building, management, and ownership, our guests and their needs are still our top priority, and we're happy to hear that we were able to show that to you. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Knoxville
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We used to love coming here when it was a Hilton property, but it remains under construction with dust and noise, narrow ground halls , understaffed, and a front desk that just says, " Sorry about that"! Definitely Not a value!
We will be looking elsewhere , as this is evidence of things to come.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Conraddd
Shalen L, Manager at Holiday Inn Milwaukee Riverfront, responded to this review, 3 October 2014
Dear Conradd,

Thank you for writing a review about your most recent stay at the Milwaukee River Inn. We apologize for the troubles that you experienced with your most recent stay. As we remain under construction we take these comments seriously and want you to know that we are going to be a superior full service hotel flying the Holiday Inn flag and under new ownership and management. We invite you back, once the construction is finished, to experience our hotel and let us show you our commitment to customer service. Thank you again for your review.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Milwaukee River Inn has an indoor pool and a small intimate 24-hour fitness center. Complimentary wireless Internet access is available in public areas and a computer station is located on site. There is a 24-hour business center on site. Dining options include a restaurant on property, however, there are plenty of options in the surrounding community including a select variety of shopping boutiques, The Bayshore Town Center and quite a few attractions. There is complimentary self parking and my favorite, it is a smoke free Property. The rooms here at this property were very spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable with the pillowtop bedding. I travel with a lot of luggage and the room allows me to set up my personal belongings with the comfort of no clutter in my space. The staff were helpful and very friendly. There was construction with remodeling and renovation upgrades to the hotel but once it is done, I can tell the hotel will earn its status with five stars. I am very choosy about where I stay and try to do research on all my hotels before making reservations. This hotel has occurring changes at this time, however, I recommend the stay here and I plan to visit again. I so look forward to see the completion of the renovations. I write reviews for all my visits to hotels and restaurants. So I have no problem with issuing out truthful compliments or complaints of services at I received at an establishment. My reviews are worldwide.

Room Tip: Be specific as far as where you would like to stay. Rooms on the south side of the building are qui...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
LindySQ,

Thanks for your review of your most recent stay at the Milwaukee River Inn. We are experiencing a major change in our building, management, and ownership, but our guests and their needs are still our top priority, and we're glad that you were able to receive the very best we have to offer. We very much look forward to your next visit with us.
New London, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 August 2014

While it's true one must overlook many things going on at the Milwaukee River Inn during remodeling, we experienced many good things also. The beds were clean and very comfortable. We found the staff to be polite and very helpful. The highlight of our stay was the bartender, Brian, who not only entertained us, but served our very delicious dinner right at the bar! We also had excellent food and service by Sarah at breakfast in the Anchorage. Can't wait to see the finished product after the remodeling is complete!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
bevknu,

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay at the Milwaukee River Inn. Though we are undergoing a major change in our building, management, and ownership, we still hold our guests and their needs as our top priority. We're glad to hear that Brian entertained you well and that you enjoyed your meal at the Anchorage Restaurant. We're also happy to hear of Sarah's exceptional service; and, your good breakfast. We look forward to the chance to have you again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I made reservations in February for two rooms for the 4th of July weekend. At the time I made the reservations this was a Hilton property. We had stayed here before and loved it. A few weeks before our trip I went to my Hilton account to double check my reservations and saw that it had disappeared. I called the hotel and was told it was no longer a Hilton property but it was in transition. They looked up my reservations and confirmed the rooms and rate were exactly as I had made them.

When I arrived on the 4th we saw that there were major renovations being made. I wasn't told of that when I had called. We start our check-in at a make shift desk and were given the paperwork to sign. The rate was $50 more per night than what we booked the room for. We pointed this out to the clerk (I believe his name is Ty). He said that we need to "prove it". Excuse me? I have to PROVE it? How about asking in a more customer friendly way. We said that we called a few weeks earlier and everything, including the rate was accurate. Again, he said he needs proof and can't just take our word for it. I said that it appears that our friends who were also staying there had already checked in. We had the exact same rate that they had because we made the reservations at the same time. He said that wasn't good enough and he still needs proof. We were on our motorcycles and didn't have the printed material handy. We started to dig through our bags finding the "proof". I have always used my Hilton account as a confirmation, but the information was no longer available online. A polite woman who worked there must have overheard the conversation because she came out and immediately fixed the issue. She said she knew which rate we had received.

After check-in we realized we were not given our breakfast vouchers. I went back to the front desk and Ty didn't apologize or speak in any way. He just started filling out the vouchers and handed them to me.

I don't know if I will go back - at least not until the renovations are complete and not speak with the man who originally checked us in.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank lizzzg
Dear Lizzzg,

Thank you for writing a review about your most recent stay with the Milwaukee River Inn. I am so sorry for the troubles that we experienced during your visit. As we acknowledge the Hilton did not inform individuals on the transition it was their goal for the smooth transition. We are under-going a multi-million dollar renovation and we are committed to retaining the customers from the Hilton to experience an even better hotel then previously. Please visit us again to see our new front desk staff and their commitment to our customers. Thank you again for your review.
Attica, Indiana
Reviewed 5 August 2014

arrived at 2:00 in the afternood august 2nd-younger girl at desk said our room was not ready--other people were told the same-asked 1/2 hour later if room was ready she said no-asked again at 3:00 she said it was ready i forgot to tell you-room is dated badly- we had a river view room-not worth the extra money--room was clean but no itinerary at all in the room about the hotel or restaurant--we did eat at the restaurant at 5:00-we were the only people in there--waitress{blond gal} was very nice and did a good job-food is expensive but very good! the location was close to downtown which is really nice--but until the remodel is done i would not stay here again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jon w
Thank you for writing a review on your most recent stay with us at the Milwaukee River Inn, we are committed to customer excellence as the hotel is under new management and ownership. While this transition is difficult, in we are exciting for the contemporary style that our guests are asking for. We hope to see your in the near future once we fly the Holiday Inn flag at the end of November. Thank you again for your review and understanding our transition.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 July 2014

It's difficult to truly rate this hotel becaue it is under construction and in transition from a Hilton to apparently a Holiday Inn. I stayed here for business at a client's recommendation but it was not the caliber of hotel I would typically stay in and I would not stay here again. One thing that irritated me is that most of the tv stations were unavailable and even though they advertised HBO, it was unavailable. This is a mediocre hotel at best. Perhaps once the renovations are complete it will be better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JIA-7
Shalen L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Milwaukee Riverfront, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback! I apologize that your stay was not to your expectations. Yes, we are going through an extensive renovation which will make the property brand new from top to bottom. In regards to the cable, we did have an issue on one of the evenings and I am so sorry that it happened to be the night you stayed with us. I can assure you that the issue has been addressed and we are currently updating the cable in all the rooms. We hope that you will be back following the renovation to see the amazing transformation!