“Welcome to a noisy, cramped, dirty hotel.”

Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Ranked #13 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed four nights in this really poor excuse for a hotel. The building is old and has beautiful old time elegance in the lobby and conference areas. The people we dealt with were friendly and for the most part helpful and then... We opened the door to our room and it was the smallest room I've ever seen in a hotel! The "view" was roofing tar and little else (some sky could be seen by looking up). The bed was comfortable. When I, or any one else in the general vicinity of our room, took a shower it sounded like jet aircraft were landing in the room. As to cleanliness, we found out by making a small mark on the bottom of the glasses that our used glasses were getting a "fresh" paper top put back on top instead of being replaced with clean glasses! We decided to mark the "fresh" tops and found that they had been retrieved from the trash!!!
My husband and I were taking an intense three day workshop and were exhausted each night. Our only request at the hotel had been for a quiet room. It was ok on Wednesday and Thursday, but on Friday and Saturday our room was shaking from the parties being held two floors below us! When I called at midnight to complain, the operator, she refused to put me through to the main desk, offered to send up earplugs! I said, "No thanks, it won't stop the room from vibrating with the bass." On check out, the girl at the desk apologized and took of our parking charge for our trouble. I was too tired to fight about it, but was extremely unhappy. It was way overpriced and, in my book, a total gyp! Beware!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Barb357
David W, Director- Room Operations at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Hello Barb357,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry you were anything but pleased. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. The challenges you encountered with your room cleanliness are not the standards set forth and have been addressed within the department. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
David Woodward
Director of Rooms

There are newer reviews for Hilton Milwaukee City Center

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center 6/6/14. We were in town for a trade show located right across the street from the Hilton. We've stayed several times before for this show and always find it to be very nice. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful and the room is quite lovely. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good hotel with a location convenient to downtown Milwaukee.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I enjoyed my one night stay at the Hilton.

Check-in was easy, easy access to the hotel on 5th, parking ramp is just beyond the hotel on the same side of the street. $24 for overnight parking (ouch). If you park on the 2nd floor, there is a skyway that connects to the hotel. Your room key gets you in a out.

Beautiful historic hotel! I kept thinking how romantic is was (solo trip). Everyone was friendly and the staff was helpful. I was on the 20th floor with a beautiful view of the lake. Room was clean, bed comfortable, good size, and it had all the pluses. Iron, blow dryer, soft towels, big kingsized bed.

Starbucks is attached - I really like that.

Easy access to DT. Right on the bus line that takes you to the Lake and all the festivals. 1 block from the Boston Store. I saw many people with packages. Seemed like a safe area, but I would go flaunting a big Coach bag. It is still a city. I spoke to 2 homeless guys while waiting for the bus, both asked for money, both were ok with a "no, but good luck to you." I didn't see police presence and I say not 1 taxi! That was so weird! But the buses run constantly.

My only tiny complaint was I slept with ear plugs. Honestly, it wasn't too bad, but heavy doors and traffic DT can make for a loud evening if you're not use to it.

I would stay here again!

Miller pub is a great place for beer in a boot and the fish tacos were the best I have had in a long time! The Chop house is also attached, but pricey.

Room Tip: At least on the 20th floor - odd numbered rooms have a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Michelle D
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The hotel was absolutely beautiful and it was a treat to be there. We only stayed one night but we enjoyed it. Location was very good & we walked down to the lake. We had a beautiful corner room that was small, but very comfortable and very quiet. Again, we were just there 1 night, so it didn't matter to us. Everything in the room was lovely & we didn't really spend much time there. The restaurant in the hotel was excellent & we enjoyed our dinner & breakfast buffet at the hotel.

Room Tip: Small, quiet room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Very noisy. Every toilet flush is audible. Loud party in the hallway. Room service prompt, but did not deliver all the food I'd ordered. It came later and was sub-par. The Monarch lounge was sparsely attended and the service was poor. The rooms were clean, comfortable (except for the noise) and the beds were great.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
David W, Director- Room Opeartions at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Hello Barbara B!
Thank you for the review of the hotel. We are happy to hear that you found the bed to be extremely comfortable. As for the noise challenges you experienced I wish to apologize. The hotel does offer a 24-hour team of Security professionals who are responsible and capable of making sure no guest disturbs the experience of another. I hope we are able to welcome you back as a guest in the future.
Regards,
David Woodward

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I liked this hotel. It is one of those really old hotels that became a Hilton late in life.

There was no valet parking which I found unusual. It is across from the convention center so it is very busy with conventioneers. There is a nice executive lounge. You park in an attached deck.

My room was large. There was no fridge and the bathroom was smallish but it was a good layout so two people could stay here easily.

The wifi was just ok - not very fast but maybe fast enough.

The staff were very good.

Taxis line up outside so it is easy to get one. There is no valet so it is hit or miss whether someone will be there to assist in getting a cab.

Overall it's a good place. If I were picking a hotel I might pick the Pfister instead - but this is a close second.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sbccc
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I received great service from all staff members, they were always around when I needed assistance. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were spacious. Room service delivery was always on time and just the right temperature. When we asked to have only regular coffee, it was left by housekeeping staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business