“Gorgeous hotel--service leaves very much to be desired”

Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Gorgeous hotel--service leaves very much to be desired”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

First, let me say this: the hotel is gorgeous. It's a wonderfully renovated art deco hotel, replete with a very impressive facade and beautiful lobby--it gives you Gatsby in Milwaukee, down.

BUT. Service here...not so 3.5/4 star. I waited outside for 5 minutes while a Hilton employee just leaned against a wall staring at other people before he informed me that there was no valet service, and I'd have to self-park. I'm not complaining about self-parking, but to not be informed of that from the get? Mildly irritating. The check-in process was no walk in the park either.

The staff-person checking me in seemed to confuse haughtiness for professionalism, evidenced by his condescening tone and 21 questions. Having checked in to my fair share of hotels, I can definitely say that this felt more like being interviewed by a rude drag queen at a bar than checking in to a service-oriented hotel.

TIP: Don't go to the "It's Miller Time" restaurant. The food is Applebee's quality at best, and their "massive" beer list is almost completely bottle, with the usual suspects on tap.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Korean first
South Windsor, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Hilton provided a great place to stay while doing business in Milwaukee. Only downside is that the hotel no longer has the indoor waterpark and has not replaced the area with another pool, outdoor area to relax or activities for children.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Tom K
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Attended a water conference at the hotel. I typically find a boutique hotel but decided to stay here for the conference convenience. I was not disappointed with this Hilton Hotel. Nice clean room and bath and comfortable bed. Service in the Hilton Honors bar was a little slow but not too bad. Concierge was not at station a few times I tried to use the service. Really nice old grand hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

During recent 4 night stay, room was never vacuumed (obviously not vacuumed from prior persons stay either), drinking glasses in room never changed out during stay (even though used), bedspread had what looked like bodily fluid stains and room quite dirty upon arrival. Bedspread never cleaned or changed out while we were there. Tiny cramped room in an old building, especially for a queen bed, so small that even the extra toilet paper was stored in the only tiny closet in living room. The concierge at street curb took our luggage and said a bellman would bring it right up, 20 minutes later I went back down and retrieved it myself (it was left completely unattended and unwatched), anyone could have rolled it away, no security at concierge's station. In the hotel pub-restaurant, the staff were very rude, we went elsewhere after trying it one time. I had the feeling that most every member of the staff acted like they were Paris Hilton herself, and wanted the guests to pay them homage (and big tips). Tipping made absolutely no difference in how you were treated (I was tipping $5/day for housekeeping, they only made up the bed and wiped my drinking glasses with just a quick wipe of a towel (maybe even a dirty one?). I will never stay here again! I've had better service at Best Western than this dump. The only request I had at check in was for a quiet stay, the staff put us in a room almost directly over a ballroom which held very loud parties until 12 midnight or so. Upon checkout we found out these parties had been scheduled a few weeks prior. We scheduled our rooms four months prior, Hilton should have assigned us to a quieter room, not right over very loud gatherings!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere or get a room high up, and in the newer section. Do not take a room on the 4th-5th floo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
David W, Director of Rooms at Hilton Milwaukee City Center, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear C M;
Thank you for your comments regarding your past stay. I want to assure you that the practices you encountered are the not the standards set forth for any-one department. All members of our leadership team have reviewed your comments and have addressed them with all staff members involved. I look forward to having you back on a future visit to showcase our true spirit of hospitality.

David Woodward
Catskill, NY
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed here three days with my wife on business. Had a great stay. The architecture and classic décor have been preserved and restored nicely. staff was helpful and friendly. Room was nice with a view of the lake (21st floor) of ample size although the bathroom was rather tiny. The food that was served as part of our conference was well above average. we didn't eat at the hotel restaurants. This hotel is located right next to the convention center and is connected by a skywalk. Easy walk to some nice shops, restaurants and parks. Overall a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a view of the lake
2 Thank rvrvwmike
Manchester, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Lovely hotel, excellent food and truly exceptional, caring service. As a professional art instructor, I am constantly moving large amounts of class materials back and forth to different locations. The Bell Services Staff at the Hilton made these moves seamless and stress-free. They were prompt, courteous and friendly but also took pains to anticipate when I might need their help again. It happens that I was there for a 9-day event and when toward the end of the event I began to feel unwell, they noticed that too and kindly brought me bottled water. I truly felt that - even far from home - there were people who cared about me and upon whom I could rely. Very comforting.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Amee S
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My husband & I stayed here for a business conference. The rooms were nice and clean and the staff was very friendly. The hotel is attached to the convention center by skywalk so that was convenient! The only down-side is that there is no pool. Otherwise, great experience.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business