“Great value, an interesting experience and worth the trip.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
MATC Cuisine Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
MATC Cuisine Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #317 of 1,519 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: International
Dining style: Casual Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
West Bend, Wisconsin
“Great value, an interesting experience and worth the trip.”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

MATC Cuisine is a restaurant served by the teaching kitchen at MATC - I was curioius to go, to see what it was all about. The food was very good - for lunch, I had a fig and arugula salad (really spring greens with a little arugula, slices of fig, nuts, and a light dressing), and shrimp bisque soup. The bisque was very flavorful, with pieces of shrimp in the bottom of the cup - keep in mind, their shrimp bisque is not thick and creamy, but a thinner broth-based soup with cream added. It was very tasty, they obviously began with a really nice seafood stock as the base. Everything was well presented, and our server was very attentive. My mom had the same meal as I, and also enjoyed it - I believe the price for my food was $6.50, and worth it - it was of pretty high quality.

My stepdad had the prix fixe meal - soup, salad, and cassoulet (which looked terrific - piping hot and nicely presented again. He said it was delicious). The prix fixe meal was $11 (!!!!). The ambiance is okay - quiet enough for a conversation, but the room does look a bit like a redone cafeteria (but what would you expect from a teaching restaurant...). Linens and cloth napkins are used. The flat screen TVs on the walls show the chefs at work. The staff were obviously trying really hard to make sure we had a pleasant dining experience, and are being instructed on the art of serving.

Overall, the value was terrific. Note that the restaurant used to be on the top floor of the main MATC building - it is now on the ground floor of Main (M, room 104). However, some of the signs have not yet been changed, and will still direct you to the 6th floor. Also, parking in the area can be a bit of a challenge since the restaurant is located inside MATC, and classes are often in session. If you keep in mind that the mission of this restaurant is to help train people in serving and food preparation, you will have a wonderful time. We will definitely be back. Reservations are taken through Open Table - make sure you reserve a table in advance, they book up quickly.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank lottosal

Rochester, Wisconsin
“Fun to Try”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Three of us visited Cuisine today. We really looked forward to trying their gourmet food at a budget price. The bill for our meal was $52. It was probably too high for the quality of the food. All 3 of us rated it the same, a 3. We all had the Grilled Hanger Steak with bordelaise sauce, root vegetable gratin, and what was supposed to be asperagus saute. If that was asperagus, it sure looked like zucchini to me. The vegetable gratin was unique and quite good. The sauce for the steak was good, but the steak was overcooked. We all ordered medium. One of our steaks was well done and slightly burnt. The other two were at least medium well. The overall flavor of the meal was fine, but nothing spectacular.

I started with shrimp bisque. It was just ok and sort of reminded me of water the shrimp was boiled in with cream on top. The other two had salads which was probably the best part of the meal with a good balsamic dressing. The salad was simple spring greens, nuts, dried cranberries, and an orange slice. This would be simple to make at home, and therefore not what I would expect of a gourmet restaurant, but again, it tasted quite good.

We skipped the dessert and went elsewhere. The wait staff tried, but were rather disorganized. We had 2 different waitresses say they were our waitress and try to take our order. Then, I had the young lad top off my sparkling water with their water bottle of very chlorinated water, ruining it.

It was fun to try, and if you haven't, you might want to as you never know how good it might be. But, we won't be back.

• Visited March 2012