“Bad Things”

and up
Milwaukee Sightseeing City Tour
Ranked #59 of 180 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Owner description: Shoreline trail along Lake Michigan.
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I love this trail and me and my dog walk it nearly every day. But there were two sexual assaults last Tuesday afternoon so we won't go back for a while and I'll try to remember to take my phone to call 911 as my dog would only lick the guy. They caught him but I'm still a bit freaked out to go there without my husband. It's a great place without molesters.

2  Thank thedoglady

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We had our first real look at the lakefront during our cruise. The boat took us along the river and on to Lake Michigan.

We knew we wanted to walk along the lakefront. So, on our second trip to the downtown area, we took in the lakefront. We parked at Veterans Park (free parking available). We enjoyed a nice walk along the lake shore. We passed a shop where you could rent kites. Another shop rented bikes.

We walked to the Milwaukee Art Museum. The museum has an original design – in the shape of a sail boat. During the day, the sails – AKA brise soleil – stand out, as if the boat was sailing on the lake. During its closed hours, the brise soleil closes and wraps itself around the building. At 10.am. daily, the brise soleil opens up. At noon, it flutters (closing and reopening).
At 5 p.m., it embraces the building for the night. We had the opportunity to see it close from the lake the day before. We stood nearby the second day.

The museum has more than 30,000 pieces of artwork, ranging from several periods. It is a modern building with a unique design. The artwork is in open rooms. They flow from one to another. You can be in a room with paintings of work from the 1600s, then step in to the next room and have artwork from 2013.

Unbeknownst to us, but knownst to others, was the second floor of artwork. We missed it. We were focused on getting outside before 5 p.m. to watch the brise soleil close for the day that we missed the stairs. I guess that gives us another reason to go back to Milwaukee.

The museum’s current special exhibit is “30 Americans.” It showcases art by modern African-American artists. Check it out if it comes to an art museum near you. We found it thought provoking in some cases, and clearly entertaining in others.

One display that hit me in the gut was the KKK exhibit. All the artist did was place a few white hoods on chairs in a circle. In the middle was a noose. That simple display said so much.

On a brighter note, the lobby of the museum, or the hull of the sailboat design is free to the public to walk around. The large glass windows give people a great view of the lakefront and Lake Michigan.

Farther south on the lakefront is the Summerfest concert grounds. The city has the largest outdoor music festival in the United States. It runs over a 10-day period. Acts, such as the Eagles, John Mayer, REO Speedwagon and Tim McGraw were the major headliners. Other acts – local and national – took to the 10 stages scattered over 75 acres. The stages apparently are permanent fixtures and come in handy for other events, such as ethnic festivals including the country’s largest Irish festival). The Milwaukee Journal reported more than 840,000 people attended this year.

The cool thing about the lakefront was the diversity of attractions and people. The children’s museum is nearby. The shops for bikes, kites and other items were there. As for people, you walked runners, walkers, bicyclists, skateboarders. Looking out toward the lake, you saw tour boats, sail boats, as well as other boats. It was relaxing.

Then, a few hundred feet inland, companies conducted business in the towers and skyscrapers dotting the cityscape.

So, Milwaukee has taken advantage of its location, in building both a positive business environment and a tourist industry, based on its major water resources.

5  Thank Mustangdad1961
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Wonderful! Beautiful day, clean, gorgeous sights-ducks, people, boats. Just a nice walk along Lake Michigan.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

While at the Cubanitas Cuban Festival, it got cold. The street was shaded by the buildings so I got a bit cold and in search of some sun I ended up walking towards the beautiful "white wings" I could see from far... it was a Saturday afternoon and I once again, was a "solo" venturer... I felt safe... the views are magnificent. Relaxing.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

When I got off the interstate I pulled onto N. Lincoln Memorial Drive. I noticed there were parking spaces along the road here, so I parked the van and began my walk. What a great trail, very wide and laid out well, so there is enough room to walk your family here and not get in the way of a bicyclist or two. This trail winds around a small lake, goes by the marina, behind the Art Museum, to finally coming back around to Lincoln Memorial Dr. The views are magnificent, there are grassy areas to have a picnic on, a place to buy kites, and just a great place to hang out with your family. Good way to pass some time. Enjoy!

1  Thank ExplorerScott