“I'd return”

Aloft Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #32 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Staff were great. Room was fairly comfortable. Be aware that the door to the toilet/shower area is actually a sliding wall that doesn't slide quite all the way. I was staying alone, so it was no problem. It might bother someone else. After dinner, the lobby was loud and full of people having a good time at the bar. I was in town for a meeting, and some of my colleagues complained of lots of noise in the halls--to the point that they couldn't sleep. I didn't experience that. A couple of my colleagues used valet, and the rate seemed more consistent with NYC or SFO than MKE.

Room Tip: Probably half the rooms face a triangular inner courtyard--and each other. One of my colleagues was...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Peebs777,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience here in Milwaukee. We are so happy that you gave us an opportunity to take care of you on your busines travels. We do apologize that you and your colleagues were bothered by other guests and their noise levels, something we try to manage, but some folks like to have an exteremely fun time. The rate for valet services is $25 per night (in and out as much as you'd like) which is pretty consistent with the Milwaukee market, but of course, if valet service is not your cup of tea, there are multiple options for self-parking nearby (though not run by the hotel).

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the aLoft in February 2014 for a weekend. The location is PERFECT and within walking distance to many restaurants, Water Street bars, and the Bradley Center. It's also super easy to find right off the highway. The staff was fine, but the rooms are quite noisy (even for a hotel) and the beds are super uncomfortable. We didn't like the room setup as it makes the room feel very small. The bathroom doors are sliders and don't close all the way. But, overall - we weren't in the room much and the location was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Dayna,

We appreciate you taking time out to let us know about the stay and experience you had with us. Sorry to hear it was "just ok" as we always hope to provide a more lasting impression on our guests. Can't argue with any of your thoughts, sounds as if the layout/design of the room is not what you are looking for and we can appreciate that. Hopefully, the next time you come up to Milwaukee, you can find a suitable place to rest your head. A little tip for those that want a little quieter experience, ask for an inside facing loft, you miss out on some of the downtown views, but they are quieter as there is no road traffic.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Weekend getaway to downtown Milwaukee to visit family and ALoft was the perfect location for the trip. The property and the rooms are very contemporary in design with a large lobby area equipped with game tables, a bar and plenty of seating to simply hang out. No room service but food is available ala carte for sale in the lobby throughout the day. The rooms are small but clean and also very contemporary in design. The property is conveniently located and just a short drive away from lots of great restaurants and entertainment venues.

Room Tip: This concept caters to a younger crowd and having said that, the elevators and halls get a little lo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for staying with us. I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel and the location. We hope to see you the next time you are in Milwaukee. Thank you for the wonderful response.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed at the Aloft downtown while staying the week in Milwaukee for business. This was my first stay at a Aloft hotel, yeah it's a little different concept compared to most mainstream hotels, but it works. You won't find a pool table and doggie treats in the lobby of your average Hilton or Hyatt. The lobby bar area is also a nice area, along with the for purchase light snacks area. Maybe it was a busy week I stayed, but it was always a wait to talk to someone at the lobby desk or pay for a snack.

My actual room left a little bit to be desired, especially after a couple of days went by. While I don't comment on "Touchy Feely" stuff often, but I really feel that many parts of the room just had way too many hard surfaces and felt very basic. The quality of my sleep wasn't the best, the mattress combined with the noises within hallway both contributed to this. I really did like the media connection interface box that allowed you to connect just about anything to the TV...nice touch.

The gym is really nice with a decent assortment of cardio and some small free weights. In the morning the gym is a little busy, so this made using my preferred equipment challenging on occasion.

As most of the reviews have already pointed out, valet parking is $25 per day. You can also find some cheaper parking lots, if you're willing to walk a bit.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us at Aloft. I am glad you enjoyed your trip and that you got out of your room and enjoyed the hotel. Thank you for letting me know about the wait times. We will address this concern right away. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The staff at the Aloft was very nice, especially Johnnie who was accommodating and answered all of my many questions. It's nice when companies realize that hiring good people goes a long way and is a very smart business decision. I'm sick of crummy service and I really appreciated the staff's professionalism. The room was nice and it was just a few blocks from the convention center and the basketball arena.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us at Aloft Milwaukee. We are so glad you loved the hotel and that our staff did a great job taking care of you. Hope to see you again the next time you are in Milwaukee.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Right after pulling up there were concierge service, this was nice. Then we were told it would be $25 to park our vehicle. We normally did not have to pay to park at our hotel. Then we arrived at our room. We could hear every conversation in every room as we walked past. Then the real noise started, children yelling and screaming and our room was next door. We walked in the hear a body slamming against the wall and laughter. Seems the children were left alone. I immediately called the front desk to get another room. The front desk seemed to accommodate us but was in no hurry to send up or new room key. We stood there and listened to these children disrupt the entire floor. I called back down about our keys and the front desk told me they were sold out and that "I had to realize that there were going to be other people around us"! I flipped a switch and explained that I didn't mind other people, what I cared about was these children going wild next door! She acted as if she did us a favor. The walls are as thin as paper, the décor is going for some kind plastic vogue look and BREAKFAST IS NOT PROVIDED. We will never stay in an Aloft Hotel again.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear leahPeoria,

Thank you for trying to stay with us and allowing us an opportunity to take care of you. You obviously did not care for the atmosphere or the concept of the hotel at all. We could have done a better job as far as taking care of you in regards to the room move, though we were busy, we should have given you notice as to the length of time it would take to get you accomodated. For that we apologize and we will make sure we discuss this in order to improve. A quick suggestion for future bookings would be to do a little research before booking. You can easily find out what hotels offer free breakfast and if there are additional charges such as parking. We hope that you find a more suitable option the next time you visit downtown Milwaukee.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The Aloft Milwaukee is a newer hotel in downtown Milwaukee, overlooking the river and within walking distance of many of Milwaukee's attractions. There are several great Milwaukee restaurants within walking distance. The hotel offers a shuttle that can ferry you to other locations downtown.

One very big advantage to travelers is that this is a pet friendly hotel with no pet fee. I've stayed at the other hotels in Milwaukee and each requires a $50 or $100 fee per stay. You are still responsible for any damage the pet causes, but as a frequent traveler with a well behaved dog I think this is a commendable step by the chain. Visitors with dogs are all kept on the 2nd floor providing other visitors with quiet.

The hotel is one in a chain that offers a contemporary feel. The lobby is a mixing place with a pool table, casual seating and a bar. It's filled with people each night. There is a small pool and workout facility with treadmills and light weights.

The rooms are smaller in size than a typical hotel, but they are very efficiently designed. You won't notice a lack of space. A partial wall separates the bed from the bath. The bath area features a walk in shower and toilet, separated from the remainder of the room by a sliding door.

The bed is my one complaint. It's not the most comfortable bed, but I've definitely slept in worse. It's a fairly standard mattress, but I've come to expect more from Starwood properties.

This is a downtown hotel, so you will pay for parking. This goes for all the hotels in downtown Milwaukee. Your options here are valet ($23/night), a nearby lot ($15/night) or somewhere on street.

One other item that I appreciate is that if you don't require housekeeping they'll give you a $5 coupon that can be used for beverages or snacks. It's a small item, but it's nice that they reward people for this.

Tips:
1. Do use the shuttle to get to nearby locations. It's within walking distance to many things, but venus like the Third Ward and Summerfest are a bit of a walk.
2. Ask for corner rooms. They'll give you a little more space.
3. Dog biscuits for your pup are on a shelf by the elevator.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. These offer a bit more space.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time out to let us know about your experience! So glad you enjoyed your visit and were able to bring your four-legged companion. Just a couple of quick notes- the hotel runs a shuttle just Monday thru Friday in a 3 mile radius to business offices and is not available on weekends or evenings. Also There is no self-park option affiliated with the hotel. There are multiple lots around the hotel, however they are not operated nor controlled by the hotel.