“Typical Aloft, but this one's sitting on the river.”

Aloft Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago
“Typical Aloft, but this one's sitting on the river.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

The five story Milwaukee Aloft sits on the northwestern edge of downtown Minneapolis. The Hotel sits on the east bank of the Milwaukee River surrounded by roads on three sides and the Milwaukee River on the East. Easy access to the river walk, river taxis, and a miles or so from the center of town.

If you’re here for one of several lakefront festivals that take place during the year, the walk is 1.6 miles pleasant walk from the festival grounds, Marcus Amphitheater or the Art Milwaukee Art Gallery, and a two block walk to either the Marcus Center for performing arts or BMO Bradley Center. A decent location for several venues, but one that is not super close to the Milwaukee consulting, financial and manufacturing firm offices which can be found farther to the south east of this location. In the summer commuting down to these areas may not be much of an issue, winter is a different story.

The building has all the amenities one would expect from a hotel of this category, a small bar, a decent indoor pool, a nicely equipped workout room and an outdoor lounging area that can get pretty loud at times if you’re facing the courtyard. Understanding the layout of the rooms in this hotel is important for that exact reason. Here is a breakdown of the layout (# = floor number);

--- Rooms numbered #001 - #0029 and can be loud dependent on the time of day as they are situated on a busy street. Rooms, #401, 3, 5 are the exception, still on the road but offer a southern view of the river ---

---#002 - #052 Are all inside courtyard and dependent on what’s going on at the hotel can be loud from the outdoor overflow from the XYZ bar in the lobby. Rooms #0031- #041 are in the front of the building above the valet lot, but also face a semi-busy road.---

---Rooms numbered #053 - #043 are all on the river and offer an interesting view of river traffic and a vacant parking lot. ( Which really is not a bad view )---

The walls between rooms are thin and you can hear nearly every word of your neighbors conversation and the rooms are relatively small, with normal amenities, TV, small safe, coffee maker and all rooms are equipped with a tiny fridge. The lobby has a small convenience store like cooler with snacks, beverages and hot food for purchase. Ice is available at the front desk, just ask and they will give you a decent small bag or several if you want. I've stayed at several Aloft properties around the country and they’re all nearly identical in form and function. The staff is nice and the hotel is clean and modern.

Room Tip: Rooms numbered #053 - #043 are all on the river and offer an interesting view of river traffic
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Switherj
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for the very infomative review regarding your experience and the hotel as a whole. I'm sure a lot of people will find this very useful and helpful when determing if they stay with us. Appreciate you giving us the opportunity to take care of you on your travels into Milwaukee. Hopefully we can have you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My son and I were in town for Summerfest and we were so excited when we checked into our room. It went down hill from there. Couldn't get the tv to work so I called the front desk. They spent 2 hours trying to fix it (or so they say). When we returned to the room for the night we were told that they couldn't fix the tv. I would have moved to another room but they were sold out. They offered me $20 for breakfast in return for the non working tv. Too bad each breakfast sandwich costs $10 each. Without the tv on, I had a very hard time falling asleep to the whirring of the elevator and noisy guests returning from Summerfest after us. Oh and I couldn't get the a/c to work in the morning. Very pricey for a room that doesn't offer all the supposed amenities. Sadly I will not return to this hotel on my next visit to Milwaukee.

Room Tip: Valet Parking only.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for staying. I am so sorry the hear that they were never able to get your TV to work. Yes our rooms should offer the basic amenities and I know that when you don't get what you paid for you are disappointed. We should have offered you more then just a $20.00 for breakfast. If you could please reach out to me at Rebecca.grennier@aloftmilwaukeedowntown.com and I will see what else I can do for you. We will take care of you and show you what our customer service should and will be.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I so wanted to prove the other reviewers wrong and like this place. And I did until I got in bed. Then it reminded me of summer camp or my old college dorm bed. Unbelievably uncomfortable. Everything else was hip, fun, cool, etc. So if you don't need to sleep, stay here.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Judgemenow
Thanks for giving us a try and I am sorry that we weren't able to change your mind about our hotel. It seems like you had a good stay besides our beds. Our beds are normally very comfortable. I am sorry you didn't enjoy them or get a good night sleep. We wish we could have made it better
Cedar Lake, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here on a Sunday night during Pride Fest. We were greeted warmly by valet (and I believe the price is doable, go to Chicago and you will pay that anywhere/everywhere). When we walked into the hotel we were welcomed again by the front desk staff that helped us quickly and we were off to our rooms. Rooms are very clean and organized and we loved the setup of the room facing the windows like it was. The rooms are more directed towards couples rather then family I will agree, but we knew that from the reviews (we kinda decided we liked the idea of more couple friendly).
We decided to go to the XYZ bar before going out around the town before we saw a comedian. We stayed there for quite some time due to the amazing bartender Becky! She was super friendly and was quite the drink maker. Everything was decently priced and delicious.
After our night out we had no issues with noises but we were there on a Sunday night, not a weekend.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the river. Ask ahead.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Carrie Q,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us during PrideFest, but more importantly for choosing to stay with us. You obviously did your homework in checking our reviews prior to selecting us and we appreciate having you! Hope you enjoyed the festival and the comedian that you saw. We will also make sure that Becky sees the kind words you had for her. Hope to have you back again in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel. Location? Almost perfect. Vibe? Hip. It stops there. Walking in to a modern lobby, with bright colors, plenty of space, a food service area, and a bar... we were greeted in a very friendly and professional manner. We were told we were given a high floor, quiet room. Great! Took the elevator up and entered a small gathering area, and proceeded to our room. First thing we noticed? The hallway is noisy, kind of like a college dormitory: shoes make loud noises on the floor, echoing voices everywhere. Got to our room: looked cool! HOWEVER, lack of sound absorbing materials made most sounds inside sound like they were several decibel higher. Hair dryer sounded like a motorcycle! And the bathroom, well, the way they build them lately shows lack of respect for people's privacy... I mean "sounds" privacy. We ran the shower while we, er, well, you know. In order to watch tv, you HAVE to use the bed because of room configuration. Sleeping was extra difficult 'til after 1 AM due to neighborhood bars' and dance venues' extremely loud noise. Once that stopped, only sounds we heard were from the hallway reverberation.
I know the Aloft chain is geared to a younger crowd, so I guess those of use who are older expect more, like solid construction, sound abatement, and a bit more creature comfort.
Nice try, but this hotel (and I presume this Starwood brand) is not my taste.
*Limited recommendation.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs or sound gereating machine.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for stayinig with us. I am sorry that you did not get a good night sleep. It sounds like you had a good time besides the sleep issues. Thank you so much for letting us know. We hope to see you again the next time you are in town.
Detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed her for one night while in town for a half marathon. This was my first stay at an Aloft and I enjoyed the experience. I think the atmosphere was cool, but comfortable and functional. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. They gave me an excellent dinner recommendation very close to the hotel. I only had two minor complaints:
- there is valet parking, but it is very expensive...and the driveway is ridiculously small so they frequently have a bunch of cars backed up. I opted for the self parking a block over.
- the doors to the rooms are very heavy, which became very clear to me when several other guests were coming in and out do their rooms at 1 AM and woke me up

In general, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dave W
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear DHWDetroit,

Thsank you for staying with us on your visit. Hope the half marathon went well and you didnt face too many weather challenges since the weather up here has been crazy this year. Thank you for letting us know about your experiences here with us and we appreciate you sharing them. Hopefully we get another opportunity to take care of you, perhaps if you decide to come back to explore the city a little more!
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I recently stayed at the a loft hotel downtown Milwaukee. I was very happy about the location of this hotel. It was my first time in a loft hotel. All though I was confused on why there wasn't a free parking lot, I was completely blown away on how great the valet service was. Anthony was amazing! It was so great he helped out with our luggage by running and getting us some sort of cart. we had a heavy load, I noticed that the valet was quit busy even so, He gave us several recommendations on places to eat. We loved Aj bombers he even printed the menu out for us to preview ahead of time. One last shout out goes to Vicki & Bryan @ the front desk. They were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Tripstayadviso2014
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us here in Milwaukee and for giving Aloft a chance to service you. We will make sure to share your comments with the team as they always apprecaite hearing about their efforts! One quick note regarding the parking situation, like most hotels in downtown Milwaukee, we do not have our own parking lot and thus the charge for parking. We understand that it is an extra fee, however with our city restrictions, we were unable to build out a lot.