“In A Good Location - Would Stay Here Again”

Aloft Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #33 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was in Milwaukee for the weekend to run in the Rock N Sole Half Marathon. The sponsored hotel was full when I made my reservation and the Aloft was the other hotel with a discounted rate for runners. My check-in was smooth and the front desk was friendly. The last time I had seen such a trendy and contemporary hotel was in Europe. I liked the atmosphere and had I not been there by myself, I would have had a drink at the bar at some point. There is a pool table in the lobby which I thought was cool too. After check in, I went up to my room and was pleased. It was neat, trendy and had everything I needed. There was complimentary wifi with the room which is always a plus. I was very hungry and one of the staff at the front desk suggested a local Italian restaurant that was just a few blocks away. It was a great recommendation! As I had to be up very early the following morning, I spoke with the staff about getting a cab. They said I only needed to call 5 minutes before I wanted the cab and they were right! Throughout the weekend, I had the staff call me a cab probably 6-7 times. The front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating. The only reason why this hotel did not get 5 stars is because 1) It did not completely blow the experience out of the water 2) My room was on a noisy street. There are a bunch of bars and restaurants within the next two blocks which is really cool and accommodating, except when you have to be awake at 6 a.m. My guess is that this was a problem because it was a Friday night. If you plan to stay there on Friday or Saturday, I would suggest trying to get a room that does not face the bars/restaurant area. Again, this may have negatively affected other guests more than it did me. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We are so happy that you chose to stya with us the night before the race. Hope you did well, and we apologize about the placement of your room. We do the best we can to accomodate people's needs and unfortunately, we did not cater to you properly. Hopefully, we can have more opportunites in the future to take care of you on your visits to town.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We really liked this place, but I can see why people don't:

1. It's very contemporary with a young vibe.
2. The bars are very close; we loved that!
3. The lobby was really cool-electronica playing through the speakers, lots of cool chairs and couches and a pool table.
4. Do not expect a traditional hotel stay. It's not plush-it's modern and minimalist-but we liked it!
5. Our only complaints were-the sheets were scratchy and we wished we didn't have to pay for valet.

Stayed: June 2014

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Milwaukee. We understand that you have many options when traveling and love the opportunity to take care of guests when they come through to visit. We apprecaite when people let us know the pros and the cons so that we can celebrate what we do well as well as work on our opportunties to make the stay better for our guests. Hopefully, we can have you back in the future!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Aloft is a fun hotel on the edge of downtown Milwaukee. I suggest requesting a view of the river or maybe the courtyard, but if your room is on the street your view will be of a vacant lot. Unless you need a car, I would advise not renting one because the parking charges are fairly steep. We walked everywhere with the very occasional taxi. Milwaukee is a fun town to explore on foot.

Positives: Amenities (free pool table in lobby, pool, exercise room, food available 24/7), nice room, comfortable bed (we like a firm mattress), and clean design.

Negatives: Bath towels - it is hard to be "green" when the towels are so thin as to be supplied by Motel 6, overworked front desk staff who cannot handle a big influx of guests, and the price of parking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DCaprilee

Thank you for choosing to stya with us and also for sharing your experience of your time as our guest. Appreciate the feedback and hopefully you enjoyed your stay and the city. We are currently working on refreshing our towel inventory as we also noticed that they need some TLC so hopefully that will resolve the issues you had with that item. Yes, parking is an extra charge but we are actually one of the lower cost options in the city if you indeed do need a vehicle.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The five story Milwaukee Aloft sits on the northwestern edge of downtown Minneapolis. The Hotel sits on the east bank of the Milwaukee River surrounded by roads on three sides and the Milwaukee River on the East. Easy access to the river walk, river taxis, and a miles or so from the center of town.

If you’re here for one of several lakefront festivals that take place during the year, the walk is 1.6 miles pleasant walk from the festival grounds, Marcus Amphitheater or the Art Milwaukee Art Gallery, and a two block walk to either the Marcus Center for performing arts or BMO Bradley Center. A decent location for several venues, but one that is not super close to the Milwaukee consulting, financial and manufacturing firm offices which can be found farther to the south east of this location. In the summer commuting down to these areas may not be much of an issue, winter is a different story.

The building has all the amenities one would expect from a hotel of this category, a small bar, a decent indoor pool, a nicely equipped workout room and an outdoor lounging area that can get pretty loud at times if you’re facing the courtyard. Understanding the layout of the rooms in this hotel is important for that exact reason. Here is a breakdown of the layout (# = floor number);

--- Rooms numbered #001 - #0029 and can be loud dependent on the time of day as they are situated on a busy street. Rooms, #401, 3, 5 are the exception, still on the road but offer a southern view of the river ---

---#002 - #052 Are all inside courtyard and dependent on what’s going on at the hotel can be loud from the outdoor overflow from the XYZ bar in the lobby. Rooms #0031- #041 are in the front of the building above the valet lot, but also face a semi-busy road.---

---Rooms numbered #053 - #043 are all on the river and offer an interesting view of river traffic and a vacant parking lot. ( Which really is not a bad view )---

The walls between rooms are thin and you can hear nearly every word of your neighbors conversation and the rooms are relatively small, with normal amenities, TV, small safe, coffee maker and all rooms are equipped with a tiny fridge. The lobby has a small convenience store like cooler with snacks, beverages and hot food for purchase. Ice is available at the front desk, just ask and they will give you a decent small bag or several if you want. I've stayed at several Aloft properties around the country and they’re all nearly identical in form and function. The staff is nice and the hotel is clean and modern.

Room Tip: Rooms numbered #053 - #043 are all on the river and offer an interesting view of river traffic
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Switherj

Thank you for the very infomative review regarding your experience and the hotel as a whole. I'm sure a lot of people will find this very useful and helpful when determing if they stay with us. Appreciate you giving us the opportunity to take care of you on your travels into Milwaukee. Hopefully we can have you back again in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My son and I were in town for Summerfest and we were so excited when we checked into our room. It went down hill from there. Couldn't get the tv to work so I called the front desk. They spent 2 hours trying to fix it (or so they say). When we returned to the room for the night we were told that they couldn't fix the tv. I would have moved to another room but they were sold out. They offered me $20 for breakfast in return for the non working tv. Too bad each breakfast sandwich costs $10 each. Without the tv on, I had a very hard time falling asleep to the whirring of the elevator and noisy guests returning from Summerfest after us. Oh and I couldn't get the a/c to work in the morning. Very pricey for a room that doesn't offer all the supposed amenities. Sadly I will not return to this hotel on my next visit to Milwaukee.

Room Tip: Valet Parking only.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for staying. I am so sorry the hear that they were never able to get your TV to work. Yes our rooms should offer the basic amenities and I know that when you don't get what you paid for you are disappointed. We should have offered you more then just a $20.00 for breakfast. If you could please reach out to me at Rebecca.grennier@aloftmilwaukeedowntown.com and I will see what else I can do for you. We will take care of you and show you what our customer service should and will be.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I so wanted to prove the other reviewers wrong and like this place. And I did until I got in bed. Then it reminded me of summer camp or my old college dorm bed. Unbelievably uncomfortable. Everything else was hip, fun, cool, etc. So if you don't need to sleep, stay here.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Judgemenow

Thanks for giving us a try and I am sorry that we weren't able to change your mind about our hotel. It seems like you had a good stay besides our beds. Our beds are normally very comfortable. I am sorry you didn't enjoy them or get a good night sleep. We wish we could have made it better

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here on a Sunday night during Pride Fest. We were greeted warmly by valet (and I believe the price is doable, go to Chicago and you will pay that anywhere/everywhere). When we walked into the hotel we were welcomed again by the front desk staff that helped us quickly and we were off to our rooms. Rooms are very clean and organized and we loved the setup of the room facing the windows like it was. The rooms are more directed towards couples rather then family I will agree, but we knew that from the reviews (we kinda decided we liked the idea of more couple friendly).
We decided to go to the XYZ bar before going out around the town before we saw a comedian. We stayed there for quite some time due to the amazing bartender Becky! She was super friendly and was quite the drink maker. Everything was decently priced and delicious.
After our night out we had no issues with noises but we were there on a Sunday night, not a weekend.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the river. Ask ahead.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Carrie Q,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us during PrideFest, but more importantly for choosing to stay with us. You obviously did your homework in checking our reviews prior to selecting us and we appreciate having you! Hope you enjoyed the festival and the comedian that you saw. We will also make sure that Becky sees the kind words you had for her. Hope to have you back again in the future!