“such cool plants”

Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory (The Domes)
Ranked #17 of 174 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Owner description: The Conservatory's Arid Dome houses a fine collection of cacti; the Tropical Dome features plants from the rainforest and the Floral Show Dome hosts a number of changing themed blossom displays throughout the year.
Peoria, Illinois
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“such cool plants”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

this place is pretty awesome... only 2 out of 3 domes were open when we went there but we were still impressed. the desert dome was the most amazing with all the cacti. at night, the domes light up & if you stand in certain places outside, maybe because of the ways the glass panels are angled, it creates a weird allusion that makes you look translucent in the pictures..

Visited October 2013

Crystal Lake, Illinois
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great place to go in winter”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I went to the domes on a bright, sunny, but cold day in January. It looked like summer inside the Domes, with all the flowers, plants, and birds in them! And the scents throughout were a welcome break from the cold winter air. A must while in Milwaukee!

Visited January 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Small Gem”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The domes are a little small as horticultural gardens go, but they re well thought out and have a nice variety of plants to enjoy. The price is very reasonable as well. $6 when I went.

Visited September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Nice and Relaxing”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My boyfriend, mother and I went to The Domes on our first visit to Milwaukee. It was the day after Labor Day, and was rather empty (not a bad thing!).

There are 3 domes to visit, but unfortunately one of them (the Tropical Dome) was closed for maintenance while we were there. Not sure when it will re-open, but at least they gave you $1.00 off the admission price.

At first you walk in and think (at least I did), 'This is it?', but upon further exploration, you realize that there is more to see and it's also VERY relaxing. Take your time, walk around, sit for a spell and just ENJOY the climate, the beautiful plants/flowers and allow yourself some down time.

The 2 domes that were open were the desert dome and the "show" dome, which changes every so often.

We also happened upon Paula, one of the curators of the animals there. She couldn't have been any nicer and she talked with us quite a bit and even allowed us to watch her feed 2 mice to their corn snake (Corny was his name!) which was a rare treat to see live! She really added a LOT to our experience.

Again, this isn't something that's going to take up a great part of your day, but it was lovely and if I am in Milwaukee again, I would definitely go back (I'm not sure, but I ASSUME that in December they must have an awesome display in the Show Dome).

Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank jahhp
Old Town, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Nice domes - neat plants - 2 of 3 open.”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We went at the end of August, and the Tropical Dome was closed for maintenance, which was disappointing. They did give us $1 off admission because of this. The desert dome was very interesting, and had some really incredible plants. The other dome (kind of a gardner's/house/look what you can do with your yard) was nice as well and I can see photographers really loving it there.

It was neat to see this Conservatory and read its history - I'd recommend it. I understand from a local that it's a good spot to go in the winter when it's too cold outside. :-)

Visited August 2013