“Classic Benedict Not As Classic, Actual Wait Time 1/2 of Stated”
Review of Blue's Egg

Blue's Egg
Ranked #4 of 1,543 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Blue's takes a fine dining approach to classic American brunch, all week long. Old World ingredients and techniques inspire modern breakfast and lunch dishes. Blue's is available for private events in the evening.
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This was our second breakfast visit to the immensely popular Blue's Egg with the last coming in December 2010, mere months after the restaurant was opened. At that time I feasted on a grandly stuffed with shredded ham Blue's Egg Classic Benedict and was only able to eat one of the two muffin, poached egg, shredded ham and hollandaise sauce "mountains".

At this visit the volume of shredded ham on the Classic Benedict was about 25% of that on our prior visit and I had only moderate difficulty consuming the entire meal. The "browned" hash brown portion was immense and this crisp and chewy offering was outstanding and took up the space in my stomach where the Classic Benedict came up short.

We arrived at 9:15 am on a sunny and cool Saturday to encounter a "full crowd scene" both outside the restaurant and inside queued up in and around the hostess stand. It took several minutes just to get through the throng of humanity to get to the hostess stand and when I did I was informed the wait would be 35 to 40 minutes for my party of two. I overheard another group being told that the wait for their party of six would be 60 minutes. Suspecting that we would eventually be "overfed", we headed off for a walk around the neighborhood to check out the businesses, homes, schools and churches that lined N. 76th street south of Bluemound Road.

We returned about 20 minutes later to discover that our number had been called and we were then given preference for the next table for two, which happened in a couple minutes. It was about 9:35 am, and the number of patrons milling about the hostess stand had been drastically reduced from a mere 20 minuted earlier. There were still quite a few folks outside of the restaurant sitting at outdoor tables and presumed to be waiting to be called. We were delighted that the wait was nearly one half of the originally stated time, but also perturbed that the wait estimate was so far off. We couldn't help but think the "under promising, over delivering" approach drove off many hungry patrons who were not willing to wait up to 1 hours to be seated for breakfast.

Our waiter Josh, was attentive and knew the intimate details of the cocktail menu as well as the breakfast menu. His service was prompt and efficient but not rushed, a must when tables need to be turned to serve the hungry masses willing to wait to be seated for an upscale breakfast. The great majority of breakfast menu items exceeded $10, but in defense of Blue's Egg, the portions were substantial, offering the rare combination of quality and quantity in breakfast fare.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I did get breakfast to go, but it was just as good as if I would have eaten it there. I got the made to order steel cut oats which were incredible. The only thing I didn't like was the size of berries that were included for an additional $2. I feel there could have been more, or the price should be a tad bit lower. Overall, I enjoyed my oatmeal. And I will return for the dine in experience.

Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Went here after a concert for breakfast on our way home and I was so glad we stopped! I had a breakfast pizza and an order of stuffed hash browns. Basically amazing. To drink I had a PJ orange juice, which is a fun and fruity spiked oj. Our servers name was Josh and he was very pleasant and punctual. I can appreciate someone who is knowledgable about the menu for customers who don't know what they want to eat. They had a special on their monkey bread that day too and it was delicious! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves breakfast food as much as I do.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Blue's Egg is wonderful. Located in a small mall it looks like your ordinary run of the mill restaurant. However, it is a fabulous, large destination. There is some seating outside, but the two dining rooms plus a counter serve a lot of people. You can have a tapped beer for lunch if you want. The breakfasts are the draw - interesting choices, great specials, and daily reduced prices on items - Wednesday is their Monkey Bread - $1.00. The eggs are great, served made to order but their benedicts are fabulous.. the pulled ham is to die for. The pancakes are huge, they have specialty hash browns - with cheese, stuffed with ham. Lots of choices and very large portions - it is not inexpensive. But good food, friendly service, clean attractive surroundings - you'll enjoy and want to return.

Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Basic breakfast of 2 eggs, wheat & rye toast, huge stuffed hash browns and hot coffee served by Lisa on the patio was 5 star! Will return.