“Not Up to Expectations”

Ranked #3 of 1,518 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Blue's takes a fine dining approach to classic American brunch, all week long. Old World ingredients and techniques inspire modern breakfast and lunch dishes. Blue's is available for private events in the evening.
New York City, New York
“Not Up to Expectations”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Based on the reviews here, we expected an excellent experience. It wasn't awful, but missed the mark in several areas. The homemade English muffins were undercooked and gummy, my husband Hoppel Poppel was a jumble of just okay food piled on the plate. My Potato Pancakes also had too many things on the plate.

Chicago, Illinois
“Sorry for the novella below, but this place ROCKS!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I came here with a friend after running in the Rock and Sole 5k. We knew the place was popping when we saw the parking lot. I actually had to park across the street, but no problem; it was a great June day. We were told our wait would be 30-45 minutes but based on reviews on Yelp & the parking lot we figured it was worth it, and Blue's did not disappoint!
They took my friend's name and number to text us when our table was ready. I've NEVER seen that before. They also brilliantly had a small bar set up outside so you could get a mimosa, sangria, or bloody Mary while you waited. My friend had the sangria; I had the bloody Mary. That thing was awesome! Great amount of spice and hello! it had a deliciously crispy (just how I like it) slice of bacon in it (sorry, but that beats a celery stalk any day) and a dill pickle quarter in addition to the standard olive and lemon & lime wedges.
We received the text that our table was ready in little under 30 mins and we were seated in the back of the restaurant near a window that had 2 large decorative metal roosters in it. We started with a monkey bread to share. Not sure why they call it that because the name conjures up banana bread and it is so not banana bread. It's a small round twisty pastry with the most died and gone to heaven caramel on it. It was insanely delicious. Unnecessarily it came with a small ramekin of a caramel whisky sauce. I say unnecessary because the caramel on the pastry stands alone. Our waitress told us that most people add it to their coffee, so naturally I did. While we waited for our food, the waitress brought us a small cup of grapes to munch on. She said it was their alternative to bread. I ordered the vegetable hash off the specials menu. It was made with sweet potato, beets, mushroom, onion, & spaghetti squash topped w/2 petfectly poached eggs and the brightest, perfectly lemony hollandaise sauce. It came with a choice of a wide variety of sides. I chose the fruit cup. Can I tell you I tore into, but couldn't eat it all. I was STUFFED! If I had anything to suggest it would be to add some color to the fruit cup. It had cantaloupe, banana & pineapple, all fresh. Strawberry or watermelon would have pushed it over the top visually. My friend had the mushroom strata w/a housemade veggie patty. She said it was one of the BEST things she's ever eaten. I couldn't see how this place could disappoint. Great service throughout from the hostess stand, outside service bar, to our waitress, and clearly the kitchen staff. I hope you give it a try!

Johns Creek, Georgia, United States
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My family of 6 is from Atlanta, and we took a day trip while camping near Chicago up to Milwaukee to check out the city. Based on TA reviews, we chose Blue's Egg for lunch. My kids are 10, 13, 15, 16, and all will agree that this is one of the best meals they have eaten. I had a burger with blue cheese, four strips of bacon and a fried egg on top. As an athlete I wouldn't normally engage in such a meal, but when in Rome. It was worth all of the guilt I had for eating it. The browns (hash browns) were also great. If we were staying in Milwaukee we would have come back several more times.

Chicago, Illinois
“Great Menu And Service”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Had the hoppel poppel which has scrambled eggs, cream, zesty sausage, cherry-wood bacon,
caramelized onion, shredded potatoes, spinach, hollandaise. No complaints. My wife had the Potato Pancakes that come with homemade loose-meat turkey sausage, fried eggs, cheddar,
crème fraîche which I thought was fantastic. Very large place the has seating outside and inside with a very large room in the back. Clean! Great service.It's a higher priced breakfast menu but that is because none of the dishes are simple. Everything ingredient complimented each other. I would go back to this place every time I was in Milwaukee. They had cocktails too.

Visited June 2014
Muskego, Wisconsin, United States
“Great food”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Second time going to Blue's Egg, and each time I loved the food. I tried a chorizo omelette with a side pancake and it was one of the best omelets I've ever had. The second time I tried the homemade corned beef hash, and it was good. Not what I was expecting, because it had ham in it, but still good. First time we went we came around ten a.m. and had to wait a good hour for seating. Second time we came we went around 8:30 a.m. and only waited five minutes. We tried a bloody mary and it was very good. Had a big thick cut piece of bacon in it.