“Slow, slow, slow. Good food, but unworthy of the hype.”
Review of Blue's Egg

Blue's Egg
Ranked #4 of 1,571 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Blue's takes a fine dining approach to classic American brunch, all week long. Old World ingredients and techniques inspire modern breakfast and lunch dishes. Blue's is available for private events in the evening.
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We went on a Saturday morning, so we expected a wait. Our group of 4 was quoted 45 minutes, and waited very nearly twice that to get seated. We were expecting brunch, but they serve lunch items only M-F, so plan for breakfast if you're there on the weekend. No ding for that, but worth being aware of.

We were seated and then waited another 10 minutes for a server to stop by. Breakfast places are usually known for turning orders around quickly, so we were surprised to wait over half an hour. And once we were done, it took us another 15 minutes to get our check, wait for them to pick up payment, and get our receipts. We arrived at 10:15 and /barely/ made a 1:00 reservation 10 minutes away - and even that involved some assertive driving.

So, the food is supposedly worth this crazy wait. Their offerings are unusual variations of standard breakfast fare, so maybe the novelty factor goes further for some than for me. Our view is that the food is definitely good, but nobody in our group found theirs to be outstanding. I had a roasted mushroom omelette with a mushroom sauce. I love mushrooms, but this was overkill. Others had hashbrowns and raved about them, so I'd have to recommend those. Nobody cared for their pancakes or french toast, even their famed monkey bread was just okay. (however, everyone loved their "crunk it" sauce)

If it were a quicker experience, there are unusual food concoctions that I would be interested in trying. However, based on how ridiculously slow everything was on our visit, I doubt I'd wait in line for this place again.

3  Thank Asten77

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This place is breakfast heaven. Need I say more, no, but I will.

Before my trip to SummerFest, July 3 & 4, I did my Trip Advisor homework and found this place. It's rated #3 of all restaurants in Milwaukee and all I have to say is #1 & #2 must be pretty darn good because this place has its shtuff together. Really. If you've never been to Blue's, you gotta go. Just don't be in a hurry because you're likely to run into a line waiting to get in.

Food is tremendous, and get this, so is the wait staff. What a pleasant experience this was. The food and service were so good, Its almost as if I went to a high end steakhouse for breakfast. Kind of, sort of, if you know what I mean. Go to Blue's and judge for yourself.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Breakfast places are a common place... And most have the same stuff. Blues egg is different... While you can get the ordinary stuff, what you need to try are the stuffed browns. Omg they are wonderful. Imaging an omelette but instead of eggs the outside is crispy, golden brown hash browns. Some are stuffed with goat cheese and all kind of options. I have to tell you... I am a pretty healthy eater, but this was outrageously and sinfully wonderful. Oh, and you get to pair it with the best morning drinks, yes alcoholic drinks. There was not one table not drinking (the double negation is worst while in these case)... And I went on a Friday morning. Go Milwaukee.

1  Thank JR T
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Blue's egg is a place where many go, as you will see on a weekend, waiting to get a table. Breakfast is different and pricey but really good. They have a nitch in the market as a high end, high quality, fantastic service kind of a place. Most eateries strive for this and Blue's gets it totally. Great place, great service and very nice selections.

2  Thank Jim L
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Our first time here; Friday afternoon near closing time (2:00pm) so we thought it would not be crowded-wrong! But in a good way. Our wait was short. Our server was friendly, prompt and answered our menu questions.
I had the stuffed brown-thick hash browns split open then topped with cheese, ham and arugula. Very crispy hash browns-yum. I ordered an egg on the side (done perfectly), but I do wish toast came with my meal. My husband had toast with his meal and I shared a piece so I could eat some of the homemade strawberry jam that came with-also delicious. He had the omelet with brie, bacon and roasted tomato. Our plates were clean and we were full!
I want to add that the coffee was excellent, and they give you a cup to go. The coffee came from a local coffee roaster called Valentine. We went right over to their shop on 59th and Vliet and bought some beans. How good could it be you ask...I usually use cream...this coffee doesn't need it--a first for me.

2  Thank F J