“Elegant loveliness”

Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #17 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My production crew and I stayed here on one of the coldest days of the year and were warmed by the unique beauty of this gracious hotel. The staff was friendly and perceptive. They granted us extra time to manage our cumbersome equipment, a process that was made more complex by the cold. They recommended a restaurant that was one of the best, affordable and authentic dining experiences ever. The adjacent River Walk is beautiful. This Residence Inn is also near the Milwaukee Public Market [a MUST GO place], putting it for me in the beating heart of a hip and historic city.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Been_There150

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed here for a family weekend (weekend after Christmas). Hotel was nice...building used to be the old Marshall Fields I believe. Hotel was clean but oh my gosh was it warm. The thermostat turned down did not help. I am not sure what they can even do about this but plan wardrobe accordingly. One complaint is housekeeping did not show up until after 4 which was really inconvenient. Location was good...some downtown shopping. Walked to restaurants and bars. Staff was very nice including breakfast staff. I enjoyed my stay and was a good value for the price we paid.

Room Tip: I would try to stay on a lower floor in the winter due to the temp. It got so hot in our room even...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Before booking this hotel, check out the shows playing at the next door Riverside Theatre. It'll make all the difference. (Also note right off the bat that this hotel does not have a pool.) We stayed here two nights when a very rowdy band was playing at the Riverside and the hotel crowd was much the same - people throwing up in the bathrooms, broken glass, yelling, etc. The management seemed to regret the crowd as much as the other travelers, but not much they could do. (BTW, I just asked my daughter if she wanted to add anything to this review and she said "You mean the really loud place?")
The other irritating thing is that I was told on the phone (4 month prior to my stay) that they did not offer rollaways, yet when I got there I saw several of them which the manager told me they did indeed have, but they were reserved and I couldn't have one. We did use the foldout sofa but the mattress was dirty. My parents stayed as well and their room was cleaner except for the cigarette burns on the carpet.
On the upside, the hotel is charming, parking was acceptable and felt secure (card entry garage - get your access card after checking in). The room was a good size and had a full kitchen, which we did not use. They had a mini market in the hotel which had snacks and ice cream.
Location was convenient to the nearly empty Grand Ave mall across the street and walkable to John Hawks Pub for a good dinner. The view from the room was of the city/freeway but it was in the distance so minimally scenic and not loud at all. Breakfast was good, several hot items and make your own waffle with toppings. Front desk staff was pleasant as was the housekeeping staff, with the exception that our room wasn't cleaned until 4pm on our second day and the front desk just said "Well, we were booked last night so it'll be a while" No apology.
If we need to be downtown again we would consider giving this hotel another chance but I would certainly check the showings at the Riverside venue first.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed at the Residence Inn for a weekend getaway and were impressed with the location and quality of the rooms. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. The hotel even had easy to access HEATED parking under the building, which was nice on a cold winter day.

The breakfast buffet was good and had plenty of items for our family.

Only complaint, the sheets on the beds weren't the highest quality and that’s a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

The staff was very polite and professional.

Room Tip: Check out the Milwaukee Public Market which was just two blocks down the street. It’s a great place...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul L
Reviewed 28 December 2013

It was a place wherein you can call it your home, big rooms, nice area , the ambience is so good. I came back twice in the hotel and will come back again if I need to go to Milwaukee. I will not reconsider another hotel...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have written other reviews for this wonderful hotel, but I do have to chime in again with how much I enjoy it. We had a great suite that was so quiet - but that makes sense in an urban hotel over the Christmas holiday. Not that many people checked in (I think) - but all that were there were friendly and happy - so cool. Our room had a lovely view, it was very spacious and we enjoyed the refrigerator and the microwave for heat ups. The front desk young lady was very welcoming, as was the breakfast staff and the manager reception staff on Monday. All was great. We enjoyed our stay very much, and hope to be able to stay here again next Christmas - thank you!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The hotel was good. Very big room with almost a wall of window space and high cieling. Free hot breakfast in the morning with lots of choices.

Location is great. Right on the Riverwalk and walking distance to a lot of places. Walked to the Milwaukee Art Museum, Third Ward, and down the Riverwalk all very easily.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that's not facing the street. There's a parking garage right across from t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo