“Twins fan in Milwaukee”

Ranked #13 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
St Peter
“Twins fan in Milwaukee”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I liked the convenient, covered parking area, complimentary shuttle, spacious rooms, and friendly staff. The decor is great, and the beds are very comfy! I went with friends to attend a Twins Brewers game and this place is a great location if you want to attend baseball.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Park Ridge
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Perfect spot for a vacation!!!
My room was spotless and huge! Everything was very close and the shuttle took me everywhere and picked me up!
My bed had 9 pillows!
I would definitely recommend the hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

minneapolis
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I often stay here when on business in Milwaukee. It is a great restored hotel. I love their old drink menu. They have a wonderful bar and restaurant. They also have a nice patio to drink and visit during the summer. The hotel offers free van rides in the area and this saves time and money getting around. The Starbucks is lacking in customers which I do not understand and it seems like they are missing an opportunity. One concern is the location as you do need to pay attention if you walk around too far. However, it also close to Marquette and they have many patrols going around

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Star Prairie
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Loved the shuttle service to the Miller Park. Beats having to deal with the traffic. Beds were very comfortable and the room was very spacious. We had 4 adults and had plenty of room to move around. Next trip to Milwaukee we will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Lexington
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Clean, comfortable and friendly. All the charm of an historic hotel plus good rooms and outstanding service. Very short drive to downtown and the lakefront, or take the hotel shuttle, which is very responsive to requests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Plover
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Normally an awesome place to stay. However, this trip we could find no working ice machines. Our shuttle left us waiting for 45 minutes. On top of that, we were trapped in the parking ramp due to the shuttle's delay. Other than that, it was a pretty typical stay at the ambassador. The staff was fantastic, very friendly. Shuttle drivers are great, and Barry the bartender was talkative and friendly. Overall, a good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Andrea P
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was raised in Milwaukee, WI, so I already have an idea of the hotel such as the neighborhood and what it used to be before renovations were done. My husband and I bid for a downtown hotel on Priceline and was horrified when we found out we were placed at the Ambassador. The neighborhood the hotel is in is not in downtown Milwaukee, but an area most would call "the hood".
The hotel has been there for many years and used to be one that rented rooms out as apartments. At the corner, near the hotel, there is a liquor store/mini-market which feeds the alcoholic appetites of most, but not all, people in this neighborhood. Across the street is a club called, The Rave, which gets packed and has many cars and people acting ignorant after a night of partying. There is also a restaurant named "Michael's" next door that is normally the hangout for people looking for a place to eat after the club lets out and normally this is not the nice crowd. Across the street is a good, old Scrub a Dub car wash.

Now, the hotel. We arrived and found out that parking is a whopping $20/day and is only good for the one time you use it and there is no valet parking. If you move your vehicle out of the parking structure, you will need to pay another $20.00 to get in. So, we had to find a place to park on the street which left me constantly checking my car alarm and running to the window every time I heard anything sounding like a shatter or loud noise because there are drug addicts and car thieves that thrive off of people that cannot pay to park at the hotel. But, on a positive note, my car was fine the next morning.

So, the hotel looks really nice when you walk in and has a nostalgic look to it. There is a restaurant inside, but a part of the walkway to get into the hotel runs through a portion of the restaurant, so I felt weird walking through while people were eating. When we arrived at the check-in counter, the entire area is really pretty and has gold and other bronzes in the area. We were told we would get a King Room, but Priceline, played us. The manager understood our anger and frustration and gave us an upgrade to the King Suite at no extra charge.
Finally, we are in the room and I immediately look around and can tell the place was not that clean. I looked into the bathroom, only to find a toilet similar to the one I have at home and did not look clean. The sink was dingy looking and the shower curtain had brown spots on it and other dark spots. The tub also had some type of grunge in corners. I was so grossed out by it that I had to take a shower with a drying towel placed in the tub for us to stand on. Next, I always inspect hotel beds for any kinds of bugs, or odd looking things and lo and behold, there are multiple brown and yellow stains on the top blanket, not comforter, and sheets. The bed did not have a liner or anything to protect the mattress from spills or other secretions, but rather had a cloth sheet type thing underneath the regular sheets, so I was nowhere near thrilled to sleep on that mattress. I had to call housekeeping several times to change the sheets and when they did come they brought more bedding with stains on them. So, while the housekeepers (2 of them) came in the room, didn't speak, but just began taking the sheets off, talking and laughing with her other housekeeper friend, and saying she has to hurry up because she leaves at 5. So, she was not very pleased when I told her the bedding she gave me was still dirty. So, I called down to the front desk for different bedding and was confronted with a bit of an attitude. I told them we waited a very long time to get sheets and when they did come they were dirty/dingy. I was told that housekeeping leaves for the weekend at 5pm and they might need to send a manager up to put the bedding on. Of course, we waited a very long time for this to happen. Finally, a nice lady housekeeper, who stayed a little while longer, but also mentioned that I called downstairs just in time before they all left, came up to put the bedding on. She noticed the bedding with stains and said, " They know we are supposed to throw these away", so she removed them and put more on. The new sheets were cleaner than the others, but still had old brown spots on the sheets.

So, we get a little thirsty, and wanted to use a refrigerator to cool our drinks and find out there are no refrigerators in the room, but only a small vending machine in the room which charges $6 for a soda. There are also no microwaves, but we were told we could get one for an extra $20. So, we had to order from the menu and ended up spending $32 for two hamburger meals.I ordered sweet potato french fries and was given regular shoestring fries. I called the front desk and was told they ran out of sweet potato fries and only had the shoestring fries. Also, opening the drapes to our room we were refreshed by the view of an apartment building and side street- just lovely.

But, on the better side, the bed and pillows were very comfortable. While my husband could care less about every bad thing going on because the Super Bowl was on, I was so, so upset and disappointed, but only with the cleanliness of the room. If you don't mind a dirty shower curtain, some elses hair in the tub (forgot to mention that), and spotty sheets then you will enjoy your stay because the nostalgic look is really nice.

I will say that I do not understand how this is a 4 star rated hotel because it is not a 4 star quality hotel.

Room Tip: Get the King Suite even though this is what we had, it is better than the others.