“Never Again”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I must admit I was expecting a lot- I had rented the King Whirlpool Suit for my husband as a birthday surprise. However, not only was I let down, I was downright disgusted. First the front service desk is quite possibly one of the rudest group of individuals I have come across in Milwaukee. When I visit Milwaukee I often comment on how nice the people are - well that is because all the hostel folks work for this hotel. The young man at the desk told us to wait aggressively while he 'yelled' at another hotel guest over the phone to move their car. He then threw the keys at us and didn't even tell us our room number let alone welcome and have a nice day.
We get to our room - one of the priciest rooms in the hotel. Not only is the room underwhelming, but it was DIRTY! We had BLOOD stains on our sheets and black marks all over the comforter. HOW DO YOU MISS BLOOD STAINS ON SHEETS! The best part is that when I called downstairs she didn't seem surprised by my findings, she didn't apologize, and she said she'd send someone up. 45 minutes later some came. She changed our sheets with the door wide open as we sat on the couch as if punished. The housekeeper was muttering to herself the entire time- and at no point did anyone seem disgusted by what they saw- which is what disturbed me the most.
We paid $273 for this room.
NEVER AGAIN. Go to County Clare. The room looks roughly the same (it also has a whirlpool) the rate is $145 and they are very hospitable and most importantly CLEAN!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jude479
AHAdministration, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

Please note that we are responding to the allegations with the guest directly, as this was not brought to our attention until well after the incident(s) allegedly occured.

There is no record to indicate that a complaint of any kind was made during the guest's stay. Also note that there was a Front Office Manager as well as a "Manager On Duty" (An Executive-Level Manager) on property the evening of this guest's stay. Neither manager has knowledge of these incidents having occured.

Reviewed 14 August 2010

I will begin by saying that the young gentleman who greeted me at the door was exceptional. He was funny and our family enjoyed him. The bar staff was phenomenal, especially the young brunette from UW (white-water I think), she was really amazing; truly world class. The restaurant manager or the guy with the bright and nice colored suit (I think Andrew) was an amazing host and a true professional. Ryan at the front desk was one of a kind, this guy did everything by the book and amazing. All of the front desk staff was great, especially Samantha. However, I encountered a man who I really could have went without. I saw the way he treated some of his employees and I felt offended and sorry for those individuals who work under this guy. I cannot recall his name, the employee referred to him as Mr...something? This Mr. (whatever) seemed to be a real piece of work, I will not stay at the hotel simply because of the way he treats his employees, at least from what I noticed. Other than management, the stay was great, shuttle service was awesome. Patrick and Santiago did not stand out as much as John (who is world class).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank mattmoore2801
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We recently spent one Saturday night at the Ambassador. We had tickets to a Brewers game Saturday night and Sunday afternoon so we were looking for a hotel nearby but also one where we could get a good night sleep, and that's what we got! Our room faced the parking lot so it is nice and quiet. The room was just the standard room and it was huge! Our bathroom was probably twice the size of a normal hotel room. The bed was comfy and thanks to the black out curtains we slept well! Our only two compliants (VERY MINOR) were that the ice machine on our floor was broken as was the floor above us so we had to carry out cooler up 2 flights of stairs. And our second was that the maid had letf a bottle of tilex hanging from the shower rod. Not a problem just a little weird. The bathroom looked clean, had a few stray hairs but as a girl with super long hair I am pretty use to shedding hair everywhere I go. We loved the location to Miller Park and it was reasonable enough. I was traveling with my husband and we are a younger couple but I never thought the neighborhood was unsafe. There isn't much around except a Taco Bell, McDonalds, and Marquette but for our purposes that was fine. We will definitely stay again when we go for a weekend of Brewer games.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We were told it was a downtown hotel which is no where near downtown. Went to our room started to unpack and found there was no closet in the room !!
Called front desk only to be told to come back to reception and they would give us a different room surely when you pay for a 4 star hotel you would think they would have sent someone up to help us with our cases and bring us to our new room. Stayed in Milwaukee many times at lower star ratings and have had better service.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2010

The Ambassador Hotel has a convenient location at 23rd and Wis. Ave. in Milwaukee, with plenty of available free parking in the lot or adjoining parking garage. It has been renovated in a beautiful art deco style that fits the location. The amenities are great - a bar and a coffee shop with indoor and outdoor seating in each; a restaurant with a great Sunday brunch including huge Bloody Mary's that come piled with food on top! The complimentary bathroom toiletries are by Aveda, and the towels are fluffy and thick. The only "minus" was an armoire instead of a built-in closet, and there were only about 6 hangers in the armoire. I'm sure they would have provided more if we had really needed them. Though we didn't use it, they provide shuttle service to downtown Milwaukee. The room was quite sizeable with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was small but there was a separate sink/mini-refrig. area with a coffeemaker and supplies that was nice. We would definitely stay here on a future trip to Milwaukee.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2010

So the location isn't great, but the service and rooms make up for it. This hotel has a staff of friendly, kind thoughtful people. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you wherever you want to go, so the location really isn't important. The room we stayed in had 2 queen beds and a pullout couch. The bathroom is a little small, but served it's purpose well. We will stay here again on our next trip and after that. Free parking! We didn't eat in, but a friend did and was very complimentary. Charming and lovely.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2010

This is a nicely renovated midsize hotel that has had its art deco interior common areas tastefully restored and renovated. The interior rooms have been well done, though some tend to be on the small and noisy side. This is particularly true of the rooms along the front which is Wisconsin Ave, perhaps the busiest road in the state of WI. My impression is that they tend to stick the Priceline/Hotwire customers in those rooms.

However, rooms toward the back (the majority of rooms) are much quieter and some are larger as well, and all rooms I've stayed in here have been very clean with comfortable beds. The in-room lighting is much better than at many hotels, which seem to becoming more and more cavelike.

I would caution anyone staying here and not being familar with Milwaukee to be sure the location suits you, as it is not very walkable nor centrally located for most people. It is very close to the Marquette campus, the Rave (concert hall across the street), and a convenient short drive to Miller Park (where the Brewers play) but not much else of interest to the average tourist or business person. The neighborhood is not the best either. But the Ambassador has easy in/out free parking and is only a few blocks to the interstate, so it's actually a superior choice to most downtown hotels if you will be doing a lot of driving. There is also an hourly shuttle service that will get you downtown quickly.

I've never had any problems with service at this hotel in three separate visits; everyone has been helpful and accomodating, though they don't always seem coordinated amongst themselves, e.g. front desk saying one thing and shuttle driver another thing. The restaurant serves a good breakfast and room service breakfast is more reasonably priced than average. One minor criticism, the 11 AM checkout time is more befitting of a two star motel than a four star hotel.

So, in summary, if the location works for you then this place is very much recommended, with the caveat some rooms are larger and quieter than others, which will be problematic for some people stuck in the less desirable rooms.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple