“Discrimination!!”
Review of Screaming Tuna

Screaming Tuna
Reserve with OpenTable
Screaming Tuna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 1,540 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$5 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Wine Bar
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Water Street
Transit: Just 4 blocks southeast of the Milwaukee's Amtrak & Greyhound station. Right off of Water Streets bus routes. Even access via boat, with a public slip out front.
Description: Sushi With A View. Screaming Tuna is a Sushi & Asian Bistro specializing in traditional dishes with a twist. From our Signature Roll to our Sushi Pizza, you'll find classic flavors and one of a kind inspired fusions. The full bar is complimented with a very extensive sake, wine & cocktail menu, and features one of the best skyline views found in Milwaukee. Seating 140 inside and 100 on a one of a kind patio, we offer reservations and 2 business/party friendly private "Dojo" dining rooms. Valet parking is available Friday and Saturday, or go nautical! Located directly on the river, you can park your boat on our docks and walk right up to our patio.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant because an acquaintance had recommended it. It was on Valentine's day and I knew it would be busy so I made reservations online. They were accepted and we were set. We got dressed up and ready to go and when we arrived, they took our coats and hung them up. We noticed the restaurant was not busy except the bar on the right hand side had some customers drinking and having a good time. We were immediately seated at the sushi bar all the way at the end next to the kitchen door and the sushi chef was Hispanic just like us. I was upset because I had made reservations and expected a table. We asked the waiter if we could be seated at a table since all but one of the tables was occupied. She said there was no availability and my husband knew I was upset so he asked to speak with a manager. The manager said that the other customers, not even present! had reservations that needed to be honored and came before us. He was very surprised when we asked for our coats and left to Kyoto, a much more pleasant dining experience. It was disheartening to think that this discrimination still happens in an urban area like this restaurant's location.

1  Thank yher84
Cristian V, Owner at Screaming Tuna, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Hello, this is Cristian Alberto Vega of Screaming Tuna. I am the manager that you spoke with on Valentine's Day. I apologize that the night did not proceed as you had hoped. Every visit should be a fantastic one, but on such a special occasion especially so.

That being said, I must absolutely assure you that we at Screaming Tuna do not stand for discrimination in any way shape or form. Two of the 3 owners are Hispanic, myself (Puerto Rican & Costa Rican) being one of them, & my father (Venezuelan) being another. As members of the Hispanic community we have unfortunately felt the pain of discrimination & can promise you that such prejudice will never have a place in this restaurant.

The reason for the seating was simply based on a priority reservation system that we employ on all special occasions. Seating is based on how far in advance the reservation is made. Many reservations were made not only weeks in advance, but months in advance. Understandably those reservations warrant the best tables, as do reservations that make special requests, so long as we can accommodate. I believe your reservation came in very close to the day of (when there is little to no availability left) & with no special request, as well I THINK it may have come via online? Thus your reservation was assigned to the sushi bar BEFORE you arrived, not when you met our hosts. Every table was pre-assigned. For phone reservations close to the date of special events we actually communicate where the table will be. I understand you do not find the sushi bar suitable seating but I can tell you that every person sat at the sushi bar was a reservation as well. We were completely booked from open to close, it was one of our busiest nights in our 3 year history. All of our employees are trained to let any diner requesting different accommodations on the day of, no matter their ethnicity, that there is unfortunately no availability. While you may have seen many tables open it is still our duty to hold those tables for the given reservation assigned, with a window of at least 1.5 hours because Valentine's diners typically dine longer. Please understand a potential guests anger if they made a reservation WEEKS in advance, got a less than ideal table and/or their table was not empty when they arrived. It is for these reasons we seat in this manner.

I don't want to further bore you with our protocol & procedure, I just truly want you to know that this is simply our policy & a necessity for our business. Once again, it truly disheartens me both that your special evening did not go as you had hoped & that we might be mistaken as prejudiced. I very much hope that you can see the truth in this, & invite you to begin a dialogue with me if you should choose. This place & the people that come through here mean everything to myself, my family, & all of the staff here. Should you ever need anything I can be reached at cristian@screamingtuna.com . Thank you. I wish you the best with all of your future dinings, and hope that one of them may be here.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The service was great. Not pushy and not slow. Just right.
The food was prepared very well and tasted fantastic.
Honestly, one of the highlights was the service from Leah - she was exceptional.

Beautiful view along the river as well.

We will definitely be back again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I had dinner here w/ friends in February 2014. The atmosphere is great, and our server was super friendly and made recommendations. My girlfriend and I ordered sushi rolls to share and they weren't that great...didn't seem as fresh as many other sushi places I've eaten. The guys both had steaks and they said they were "fine" - but I guess you shouldn't expect a steak to be stellar at a sushi restaurant. Overall, just okay.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I hosted a birthday party here in their private room. Not only were they EXTREMELY accommodating with all of my random requests, but the food was GREAT! I had a room full of sushi novices, so we tried many non traditional rolls, which for someone like me that eats sushi all the time, was great, they were inventive and flavorful. The service was AWESOME! You have to go and ask to sit in Deanna's section - she'll take great care of you!

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a meal here after all the excitement from our wedding settled down. We had a bottle of Malbec wine, eel roll, and a couple other rolls as appetizers. Ahi tuna and stuffed halibut for dinner. Everything was amazing! The eel had the best flavor I've had to eat.
When the waitress found out we had just been married she came outside with two glasses of complimentary champagne with strawberry garnish. We sat outside on the patio over looking the river. Thanks Mother Nature for a great sunset. Everything here was great. The food, service, hosting staff, drink menu, and environment. We love screaming tuna! Check them out on twitter @screamingTuna for tons of photos of amazing sushi and sashimi rolls.