“Best field trip with children/grandchildren”

Milwaukee Public Museum
Ranked #5 of 182 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Featuring more than 4.5 million objects and a variety of exciting exhibits, this is considered one of the best natural history museums in the United States. Kohl's Thank You Thursday allows free admission to the museum the first Thursday of every month with extended hours (9 a.m. - 8 p.m.).
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have had a family pass for years which allows us to take our four grandchildren. There are so many exhibits, many of which have become favorites, that they now know where among all the displays to find what they want on a given day. Increasingly they learn more about the displays from the signage and over the years they have moved from always going to the dinosaurs first to checking out native American areas or even unique cultures from Asia and Africa. I can't find any rating for U.S.natural history museums, but this has to be one of the finest. It actualy invented the conept of the diorama and you can see the first one still on display. And Streets of Old Milwaukee has been my personal favorite since childhood, so I treasure the fact that my grandchildren love it too.

2  Thank Texprof

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I really enjoy going to the library, they have a great selection of books, magazines, and dvds. I usually can find what Im looking for, if not, they will have it ordered from another library.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I had a couple of days in milwaukee to take in as much as I could, we did museums and mansions and breweries, this museum however is way above the class of everything else. Whoever is responsible for setting up the displays should be commended, these sets are better than disney quality! We left very impressed, best money I spent in milwaukee.

3  Thank Mitch L
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Plenty here to keep anyone busy. This is the best museum I have been to. Everything set up in scenes rather than just a bunch of artifacts. Other museums need to take note on how well this is done.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a great time at this museum! The kids especially enjoyed the butterfly room. Old Milwaukee was my husbands favourite from his childhood!

1  Thank nicoleofnine