“Great location, very pleasant staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“Great location, very pleasant staff”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Had a corner (king) room for 3 nights while in the city for the triathlon. Yes, housekeeping wasn't done until late afternoon ... but if that's the worst thing that I can think of, then this place is a keeper. Good sized room, QUIET at night, fine bed, excellent TV, good wifi, a cold fridge and a spacious shower. Very relaxing. Short walk to the restaurants in the Third Ward and not much further to the lakefront. We LOVED the historic details, skylit lobby and grand staircase. The front desk personnel were outstanding. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Nick J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for the nice review and for sharing your experience. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our historic building, location to the Third Ward, and our staff at the front desk. I hope you are able to make it back soon!

Best Regards,

Nick Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed there before our wedding and on our wedding night. The room were gorgeous and huge, and quite clean and kept up to date. The lobby and the halls were even beautiful, which is weird to be impressed by, I think. What impressed us the most is that everyone remembered us -- and they even left flowers, champagne, and chocolate covered strawberries in our room, with a card signed by all the employees! Incredible service, incredibly attentive.
The bed was comfortable, the room had A.C that lowered at night and raised during the day (somewhat eco-friendly), which was wonderful.
Overall, I loved it. And I love the Hilton now. And I love Wisconsin.

Breanne

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! Congratulations on your recent wedding. I am so glad to hear that we were able to play a small roll in your special day. Congratulations again, I hope you can make it back soon.

Your Wisconsin Getaway,

United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The room was not clean to standards every day. The floor was not vaccumed. The bed cover had hot sauce stains on it. The towel you place on the floor when coming out the shower was not exchanged for a new one when I left it in the pile with the other dirty towels. The house keeper hang the same old dirty towel back up as if it was clean. Then when i was checking in the lady up front had an attitude when I ask her about tax exempt information. Also, there was long hair in my shower and i have a bald head. It seems like at different times the house keeper was using my shower.THE STAFF AND HOUSEKEEPING MADE MY TRIP HORRIBLE. I could of stayed at a motel 6 for cheaper and got treated better.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Nick J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Marvin

Thank you for the valuable feedback, I have shared your comments in coaching conversations with my department leadership in addition to the individual that checked you in and individual who was responsible for cleaning your room. I can assure you that your housekeeper was not using the shower. Since your visit I have made a few changes in our housekeeping department that is having a large impact. I am glad that we were able to speak over the phone. I hope that you choose to give us a second chance, I guarantee you will have a much better experience. Thank you again for the review, and for the opportunity to speak with you over the phone.

Best Regards,

whitehouse station, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2014

only "vintage" HGI i've been in. Old office built in the 1880s or so. Worth it on that alone. 12 ft ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows (with view of an alley!). Employees were nice, helpful folks. No complaints.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Neil

Thank you for the nice review. I am so glad that you enjoyed our "vintage" Hilton Garden Inn! I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your view. Please join us again soon!

Your Milwaukee Hotel,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The location of this hotel is great - walking distance to the trendy Third Ward neighborhood, and many bars and restaurants. And, like many buildings in downtown Milwaukee this building is absolutely beautiful, inside and out. I encourage you to drop into their foyer, even have a drink at the bar and enjoy your surroundings. After that run away as fast as you can. I had multiple issues with this hotel which tells me that they don't really care if their customers return. They obviously count on one time visits driven by the convention industry, which is a really big surprise for a Hilton. The bathroom sink was clogged, and drained very poorly, there was mold in the shower, the iron leaked rusty water that stained my clothes, one day housekeeping just never showed up, I constantly has to ask the front desk to restock the coffee pods, soap and shampoo. Oh and don't count on sleeping. The dumpster truck shows up religiously every morning at 5:55 am banging multiple dumpsters. If this experience wasn't bad enough, I picked up my bill upon checkout to see that the hotel charged me 24 dollars a day for valet parking, but I told them when I checked in that I didn't have a car.

This place clearly has to get its act together to compete with and otherwise great city.

Room Tip: There are many other choices within walking distance of this hotel. Choose any, you will be better...
1 Thank Ed M
Ed

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your experience at our hotel. My staff and I are completely committed to providing the highest level experience possible, I am embarrassed and disappointed that we did not provide you with that for you. Your feedback is extremely valuable to me and I have reviewed your comments with my property team and ownership. I will guarantee that you will not have the same experience with us if you choose to give us a second chance. I sincerely hope that you do. I would like to speak with you in more detail about your experience, at your convenience, please contact me at my direct line 414-810-4253. Thank you for the valuable feedback.

414-810-4253
UK
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Very odd - a rather run-down hotel inside a magnificent historic building (once a railway company's headquarters), with wonderful tiled halls. Our room wasn't ready, way after check-in time, which the receptionist seemed to find amusing, even though I am a HiltonHonors Diamond member. The saving grace was the (free) breakfast, which included made-to-order omelettes and pancakes - some of the best we had during a five-state trip. Otherwise, would be 2 stars at best.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank LondonTVproducer
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I am terribly sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your visit with us. I am most concerned with how you were treated during check in. This is absolutely not my expectation or how we train our staff to behave. Your feedback is valuable to me and I will be sharing your comments with the team. Thank you again for your feedback.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

First, this Hilton Garden is in an amazing location, so close to so many things like the Third Ward and the Riverwalk. And it's not far from many other things including dining and shopping.
Second, it's a beautiful hotel inside and out. Nice lobby and common areas. Our room on the first floor had extremely high ceilings, probably 12' high and gave the room a special affect...very cool!
Finally, housekeeping kept this review from being EXCELLENT because they did not vacuum for at least 2 days and did not get the job done in a timely fashion one of the days. Suffice it to say that the hotel front desk made up for the housekeeping deficiency, but I don't even like having to mention housekeeping in a review. I highly recommend this property, but keep your eyes open re housekeeping.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your experience with us. I am so glad to hear that there were many things about your visit that you enjoyed, however, I am disappointed that we were not able to exceed your expectations in all areas. I am very sorry that you did not find the housekeeping service during your visit. Your feedback is extremely valuable to me. We have made a few changes in the housekeeping department and I can personally guarantee that when you return you will not have the same experience. Thank you again for the review. I hope you can make it back soon!