“Lousy nights sleep”

Milwaukee Marriott Downtown
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I had read reviews and was excited to stay at this hotel. I booked a corner king room for $250 a night with tax. The lobby and the exterior of the hotel was really hip and fresh. The staff was incredibly nice and friendly. Check in was very easy and again everyone was very friendly and helpful. I had asked for a high floor and was booked on the 4th floor (not really that high). The room actually looked out on the massive air conditioners. The sound was really loud and the fans would kick on and off making it really noisy. I asked if we could be moved to a room that was a little quieter and the front desk was extremely attentive and switched our room. The next room- once we set our bags down there was country music playing. I just assumed it was a clock radio left on- but there was no clock radio. The sound was coming from the next door room. The music was not loud- but we could clearly hear the music and the entire conversation going on in the room next door. I was shocked at how poor the sound insulation was - we really could hear our neighbors complete conversation - and they were just talking normal volume. Since we had already asked to have our room switched we just decided to deal with it- we were going out most of the night anyhow and hoped our neighbors would not be too loud later.
Well- starting at 12 every time someone in the hall came home we could hear everything. The doors slammed, conversations in the hall. Long story short this hotel this is not a quiet hotel. It is a nice, clean, hip place but a quiet nights sleep is not something you will get here.
The final straw was the morning we checked out. It was a Sunday morning and promptly at 9am a loud banging started on each door - a woman yelled "Housekeeping". It was really loud and aggressive banging. I had forgotten to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign up- but I have never had housekeeping bang on my door early in the morning - especially the day I check out. Yes I should have put the sign up- but housekeeping could have been a little quieter at 9am on a sunday.

Overall- I would not recommend this hotel. I hate to say that because the staff was so friendly and the vibe of the hotel is great- but the room noise was intolerable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ebking22
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Milwaukee Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

I apologize for the noise disturbance during your stay, clearly we could have found a room more to suitable to your needs and away from some of the hallway traffic. I also thank you for your comments about the warmth and genuine care of the staff, as well as the stylish appearance of the hotel. We do take your comments seriously and will work on noise remediation in that patricluar room to the best of our ability. I certainly hope you will once again consider the Milwaukee Marriott Downtown, and thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

this is one of the few hotels I'm willing to give the full rating too. If you can overlook the over-priced valet parking, there is nothing not to like. This is a beautiful property, fantastic rooms, super staff, quick, efficient and friendly - never had to wait a minute for anything. Fast and friendly check-in and out. Great rooms, clean, fresh, seem new. Great sleep. Great location and restaurants. My only advice is to park across the street at the $16 a night garage, it's quicker and more convenient than the valet.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Exceptional staff. Super friendly. Hats off to David at the front desk. The hotel is excellent. Beds are comfortable and the bar/restaurant attached has lounge seating and a great vibe. Breakfast was awesome! The pool is small but the kids had a blast.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Foodie_BigD
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed for one night and found the hotel to be clean, conveniently located and very comfortable. Staff was friendly and very helpful regarding where to go for dinner and nearby businesses. Received coupon at check-in for complimentary continental breakfast which was excellent. Lots of variety and good quality - highly recommend. It is within walking distance of BMO Bradley Harris area, but due to weather we used Uber to get around. Tip - The address for this hotel 323 E Wisconsin Ave did not match to GPS. Taxi driver and pizza delivery driver could not find hotel by this address. Thankfully it is very well known hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We have stayed in many Marriotts, but this one really stands out. Being that it is a relatively new hotel, everything is in great condition. The bed is one of the most comfortable that I have ever slept in. The hotel restaurant/lounge was very nice and not too overpriced, as many hotel lounges are. Every staff person that we encountered was so nice that I felt like I was in the movie The Truman Show. From the valet to the receptionist to the waitress, everyone seemed genuinely happy to assist us. Although we pretty much felt that way about Milwaukee in general. Coming from the east coast, if someone was that friendly we would think they were on drugs. The overall feeling of the city and the hotel in particular makes us excited for the next time we visit.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights. It was a pleasant stay from beginning to end. It's easy to access, as it's not an extremely busy street. It is within walking distance of the riverwalk & some great restaurants. All employees were very friendly, helpful & ready to be of assistance. My husband is a platinum rewards member, so we were able to upgrade to the concierge level after a short wait (10 minutes!). The whole hotel is beautifully designed and decorated. If you enjoy the old architecture of Milwaukee, you'll enjoy the views from this hotel. The one thing we missed was a whirpool/hot tub. The water in the pool was a little too cool to be enjoyable. Housekeeping was unobtrusive, though being in a corner room, we heard a lot of doors closing at certain times of the day. Overall a wonderful stay. Food & service was great in the restaurant as well. Don't miss the beer cheese dip with pretzels

Room Tip: I would avoid being near the stairwells.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Open less than a year, the facilities still feel like brand new. Convenient downtown location on Wisconsin Ave. We were able to walk to several nearby restaurants, and there's a Starbucks and casual-dining restaurant right in the hotel. Nice workout room with the latest equipment. What amazed me the most, however, was the staff. From the valets and doormen to the front desk and restaurant staff and housekeeper, all of them treated me and my family like they were genuinely glad to see us and anxious to help make our stay enjoyable. And the hotel manager checked with me several times our two days there to see if there was anything else they could do for us.
As another guest remarked in the elevator, they were treated like they were royalty. I agree, and
look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family