“Great burrito!”

Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Walker's Point
Description: Year after year the original Botanas on 5th Street has been voted #1 Mexican restaurant in Milwaukee by many local papers and on-line organizations.
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Ate hereafter a family graduation. The food was very good but the margaritas seemed a little weak and were kind of pricey. The staff was nice, no complaints about service. However they wouldn't do separate checks which made it a little difficult for our party.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My family and I visited Botanas Mexican Restaurant today as we have several times. The food is usually pretty good and prepared promptly. I always thought their service was "so- so" and not great prices, but today (April 2014) they down right pissed me off.
MY 9 YEAR OLD son HAS SPECIAL DIET NEEDS and, as we often do, we brought a small portion of food into the restaurant with us- in my wife's purse. NO restaurant has ever even mentioned anything, much less complained about us doing this, as we are fairly discreet about it..
But while waiting for our table at Botanas, first the hostess told my son he couldn't drink from the cup he had because they didn't allow any carry- in's. Fine! Then after we were seated, the waitress saw that my wife was (discreetly) handing my son the container of food she had in her purse for him. She told us that they don't allow any food to be brought into their restaurant. I briefly explained that my son (who is 9!!) has special diet needs. She again stated that, she was sorry but they don't allow it. We walked out! And won't be back- Ever! They embarrassed my son and family. It's one thing to have policies, it's another to be insensitive and stupid about it.

3  Thank ruddug
Mark T, Social Media Manager at Botanas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for your comments and review. We do have a policy of no food being allowed into our restaurant from the outside. We have no control over how that food was prepared and therefore feel this policy is beneficial for us and our customers. I apologize that the hostess originally stated it was allowed, it most certainly is not.

I have discussed this with the owner and he did recall your visit. He stated that you were very upset, again we apologize that your experience was less than exceptional. He also stated that the outside food brought it was in an Arby's Restaurant bag. Again, we have no control as to how this food was prepared so it should not be consumed inside Botanas. We don't know when this food was prepared as their is no nearby Arbys.

Our policy came into effect about 5 years ago when we received a complaint from a family that became ill after a visit to our restaurant. We knew something was up because all of the family members had something different to eat, and there were no other complaints from one other customer that entire day. To make a very long story short it turned out that the cause of the illness was from a birthday cake that the family brought in themselves. The cake that contained dairy products sat out in the family's vehicle for a considerable amount of time (it was during the summer).

Again we hope you understand our policy and why we must enforce it, it's not poor customer service, the staff was just following company policy. Feel free to call the owner directly as he understands how this policy is sometimes not very well received.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Milwaukee has a wide variety of really good ethnic restaurants. Whether it is German, Polish, Serbian, Italian, or, my favorite, Mexican, we have them all. My favorite Mexican restaurant is Botanas on 6th and National Ave. Over the years I have been there with family and friends over 20 times. The food is consistently excellent, the staff always happy and friendly, and the margaritas fabulous. The restaurant itself is large and beautifully decorated and during nice weather they have outdoor dining. I consider the prices very reasonable, and the portions large. My favorites are the fish tacos California style and the carne asada steak tacos. I would highly recommend going at dinner rather than lunch because of the larger menu options.

Mark T, Social Media Manager at Botanas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you very much for coming back to Botanas Restaurant again, and the very kind words in your review. We appreciate it very much and am happy that folks notice how much effort we do try to make each and every day to make everyone's experience at Botanas great. Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have been to other Mexican restaurants in this neighborhood, but this was our first trip to Botanas. They were surprisingly busy for a Thursday night. High marks all around for food and service. We loved the salsa - it had a great kick. My husband enjoyed the fish tacos. Guacamole and sour cream were included. I had the mini combo platter with an enchilada and chimichanga, rice and beans. All of the food was tasty and reasonably priced. A nice touch was the attendant outside who directed us to parking and greeted us on arrival and departure.

Mark T, Social Media Manager at Botanas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for coming in to Botanas! We appreciate your visit and kind words. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Average to say the least. Food was bland but service was good. The reviews before us seem to be overrated. I went once I won't go again.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience was only "Average" as we strive to be excellent all the time with both the service and the food. May I ask which dish you had that was bland? Hope you can give us a second chance in the future; thanks for your review.

Been to Botanas? Share your experiences!