“Food Was Good”

Lake City Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #886 of 1,540 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Service was slow but a lot of folks in there at the time. Good bar food and cold beer. We were staying at the Best Western and it is onsite.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

After a business trip concluded, I extended my stay an additional night to explore Milwaukee a bit. I opted for a hotel near the airport for easy access the next morning. For dinner, I tried dining at my own hotel (The Clarion), but that didn't work out (see my other review). Instead, I walked about 2 blocks to check out the Lake City Restaurant at the Best Western Plus. I arrived about 7:30 on a Saturday evening, and found only a handful of people in the lounge, and even less in the lovely dining room. Although the hotel was hosting several large banquets (at least 2), and this obviously placed an enormous strain on the kitchen.

After being seated in the near empty room, I waited 5 to 10 minutes for a server (she arrived moments before I would have left). She was very polite, and took my order, since I had ample time to read the menu. I opted for a simple sandwich with salad, the Monte Cristo. I don't think i saw any staff again after I got my glass of wine until my sandwich was delivered about 30 minutes later. Let's face it, that's unacceptable.

The sandwich itself was delicious. The atmosphere lovely and stylish. The server was polite and friendly, but absent. The hostess was also very friendly, but she had nothing to do, and did nothing (except bring my 1 glass of water).

Sadly, or maybe rightfully, this establishment as a stand-alone restaurant will fail if this is the service level. It was clear that there was NO WAY they could have served 2 banquet rooms of people, AND a full dining room. Clearly, the waitress was assigned to other duties, leaving her unable to place ANY focus on guests in the restaurant.

The food was Very Good. The service was friendly, but absent. The dining room was modern and inviting. For these, I give this venue 4 stars. 30 minutes for 1 sandwich? That's a failure. And forget about waiting for dessert or coffee.

Sorry, I wouldn't try it again, and I wouldn't recommend it unless the hotel was not serving guests in their banquet rooms, and even so, would it have been any better?

Reviewed 8 September 2011

Had breakfast buffet 2 days in a row, the eggs were powdered and cold, the french toast sticks were hard as a brick and the only edible thing was waffles that you could make yourself. Also this restaurant is attached to a hotel and it was FREEZING in there. It was only about 70 outside all weekend yet we found out that the hotel had the AC on 60 degrees. Way too cold for me to even want to stay there.

Reviewed 12 May 2011

I was staying at the Best Western by the milwaukee airport, and this restaurant is located inside the hotel. I usually don't enjoy the hotel restaurants but this one is an exception. Usually when I stay in a milwaukee airport hotel I'll order Toppers pizza or jimmy johns but I tried out Lake City. I had the friday fish fry and loved it.

Reviewed 9 April 2010

The menu has a wide variety and great choices. The location is perfect right next to the airport. You have to try their fried fish specials.