“Our go-to place”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Our go-to place”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We live in the neighborhood, and Burke's has become our "nothing in the house, let's go out to eat" place. All the food we've ever had has been spot-on, and the people who work there are amazingly friendly. Drinks/food are priced fairly, as it is not a dive with typical "bar food." These guys are really making an effort at providing awesome food in a fun, casual environment - and affordable. They also seem to recognize the history behind the place, and they have respected that (along with making great improvements to the physical space itself - new paint, garage doors that can be opened to the outside, refinished the tables). It's also kid-friendly (at the appropriate times, of course), although they only have 2 high chairs and no booster seats.

My only criticism is that the staff gets a little overwhelmed when the place is packed, and the social order has broken down a couple times when we've been there on a Friday night or before a well-attended Brewers game.

They also have banquet space.

• Visited September 2013

cork city
“What a place to visit”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I worked in this very authentic Irish bar for 3 months as I was on a J1 visa from Ireland and I left kicking and screaming in September. The food is only second to the enthusiastic staff who are incredibly friendly and very helpful. I arrived back home to Cork Ireland on the 7th of September and am already planning a return trip. Try the salmon (cakes or salad).

• Visited June 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Best brat ever!!!!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We completely stumbled upon Burke's Irish Castle looking for a quick lunch. (I seem to always find an Irish pub wherever I go. Hmmmmm..... or do they find ME?)

I don't know...maybe it was the stress of our sudden visit to Milwaukee. Maybe I was starving. Maybe, having grown up eating Milwaukee sausage far from Milwaukee and our family mystique of ancestral Milwaukee. Maybe it was the charming environment, but when I tasted that sausage with grilled onions on that sweet bun....I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Thanks, I needed that!!!

• Visited July 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Really REALLY nice!”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Don't let the putrid green exterior paint color turn you off from trying this place. I met friends here for happy hour and dinner before a Brewers game on a Friday night. This was my first time in here since the new owners took over what had been Derry Hegerty's Pub, a neighborhood staple for many, many years. The interior has been updated and opened up, with many flatscreen tvs all over the place. I took a seat at the front bar to wait for my friends, and noticed that the windows facing Bluemound Rd. were part of an overhead garage door that could be opened up during nice weather. What a great way to invite interaction between the customers and people walking by (i.e. Brewers fans!!) and make them want to stop in. Back to my visit: the other patrons were friendly and talkative. I was quickly served by a pleasant and friendly bartender, who made me a VERY good vodka tonic (not skimpy on the vodka!). My friends joined me at the bar for a drink, then we headed back to the dining area to have dinner. There were three different fish frys to choose from (one of them Gluten-free) and two of us chose the Pub Fry with house batter and the other person ordered a cheeseburger. All of our food was fantastic and we ate every bite on our plates. The fish frys were piping hot and crispy - not greasy at all. You know how sometimes you get a tiny nugget of fish surrounded by a huge glob of batter? Not the case here - the fish was plentiful (3 pieces) and lightly battered. Our waitress, Megan, provided fantastic service even though she said she was new. Towards the end of our dinner when we realized we still had time to do so, we ordered another round of drinks and as I mentioned before, they do not skimp on the alcohol!! By the time we headed out for the game, the place was packed with a really nice crowd of all ages. Don't save this place for a Brewers game! Everyone in my party said we will all go back even on a night when we don't have tickets for the game. On game nights, street parking in the area could get dicey pretty early (probably by 5 p.m.) but there is a municipal parking lot immediately west of the restaurant. You have to feed a parking meter, but it was very convenient as we only needed to park for maybe two hours before driving into Miller Park. They offer shuttles - called the Paddy Wagon (very clever) - to the game. We all had a very nice time and will definitely be back!

• Visited May 2013