“I Never Knew This Place Existed”
Review of Jackson Grill

Jackson Grill
Ranked #129 of 1,540 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I happened across "Wisconsin Supper Clubs" on Milwaukee Public Television. I grew up in Wisconsin and frequented many Supper Clubs that are no longer in existence. So I watched a wonderful program, which visited a number of Supper Clubs throughout the state, including Jackson Grill in Milwaukee. I've lived on the north side all of my life, and never knew this place was in town and open. Not only open, but serving some of the best steaks in town. When I entered, I stepped squarely into the 1950's. The place is small, nice bar in the front room, 10 tables in the dining room in the rear. This was my first visit, yet I was greeted as if I'd been dining there every week for a year. The staff was fun, friendly and efficient. Our server couldn't do enough for us, but wasn't pesky. I had the NY Strip. Perfectly cooked, but too big to eat at one sitting. Juicy, delicious and tender. My guest had the Filet. It was melt-in-your-mouth tender, and filled with flavor. Both steaks came with a portobello mushroom cap the size of a Big Mac bun. In itself, it could have been a meal. We both had the garlic mashed, good, but a bit light on the garlic. This place is known for steak, but the menu listed other interesting entrees that require a return visit. And of course, I'll have to come back for another steak as well. But next time, I'll make a reservation.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We heard about Jackson Grill through word of mouth. I thought I had been to every great restaurant in town, but only learned of Jackson Grill recently. We enjoyed a drink at the cozy bar before being seated in the miniscule dining room. Be advised there is no pretense to the place--the food was great, the service, prompt, professional and friendly--but the place looks mostly like the corner bar I assume it was at some point. The decorations and everything else is perfectly fine, but not luxe. It feels supper-clubby in a good way.
The food is definitely the star. I had the filet with fried onions, my date had the porterhouse ala portabella. Both were expensive, but were a great value. We both started with salads, I loved the french cognac salad dressing. Dessert wasn't all that impressive, but they were upfront that they bought the carrot cake elsewhere--it was the same overfrosted stuff you can get anywhere decent.
I'd reccomend reservations, the place is tiny but SO delicious.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

We saw this place on TV and went for steaks and seafood. The filet was truly the best with grilled garlic cloves, blue cheese butter, portabella mushroom cap and an amazing mac and cheese side. The ribs were sensational, and the scallops were equally tasty with a mushroom risotto. Service is friendly -- this is a small place and you fee like you're in someone's living room and the staff makes you feel like family. Good wine list, by the bottle or glass. It's a hidden gem since it is a bit hard to find but well worth it.

Reviewed 12 May 2011

This was by far the best dinner I have ever had. I’m very picky about food and this was amazing. The Cajun BBQ Shrimp, the crab bisque, and the steak, every one better then the last.

Reviewed 6 October 2009

The location and appearance aren't what you'd expect of one of the top steak places in town. We dined here again recently and once again were impressed.

The whole place is quite small and as previously noted, you enter through the bar and due to the size of the place are never very far removed from it. The atmosphere is old-fashioned, like the way the steak places used to be years ago. Don't expect to eat in a trendy, new restaurant. Just expect a great steak

We got there early and were able to be seated immediately. This was an exception, because there aren't very many tables and it can be a popular spot. Our server was very friendly, prompt, and attentive throughout the meal and we didn't feel rushed or like we had to wait too long. They brought out their relish tray beforehand, just like the kind you always used to get in the area. The salads and dressing were just average. We both ordered the filet.. They were served as ordered (one rare, one medium well) and were both very tender, juicy and deliciously seasoned. We both also had a large baked potato, but not the way my cardiologist would recommend. There wasn't any room for dessert, though we've enjoyed the cheesecake in the past.

If you're in the Miller Park area and don't mind spending a few dollars for a great steak, keep this place in mind. You might run into a Brewer's announcer or front office person.