“A Wonderful Evening at the Jackson Grill!!”
Review of Jackson Grill

Jackson Grill
Ranked #135 of 1,543 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I had heard many good things about the Jackson Grill. I have lived in the Milwaukee area all my life and actually have heard very little about The Jackson Grill. Sometimes a small restaurant you haven't heard much about is like a gem that no one knows about.

We have a "guys night out" once every few months with a bunch of us guys. One of the guys said he has been going to the Jackson Grill as of late and said "it was one of the best meals he has had." He described the restaurant as a throw back to the old supper club days. He mentioned it was small and intimate and had a great bar. So, my expectations were formed from his description as well as the descriptions provided here on Tripadvisor.

My experience: I was really blown away by the Jackson Grill. I couldn't believe how small the actual restaurant was. I think my family room at home is larger than the dining area. But, this is what makes the Jackson Grill so unique. It's like having a dinner in your own home. The setting is unique to say the least. You just can't go to many other restaurants and have this intimate setting. It is so homey, quaint, unpretentious and frankly, very inviting and romantic!I

Our server was fantastic! I asked her what the recommendation would be for a steak. I mentioned to her that I usually get either a Filet or a Ribeye but wanted to know what she recommended. She stated "the owner/chef (Jimmy) always recommends the New York Strip"
I said, if he recommends the New York Strip, then that's what I'll get.

So, we all ordered and most of the guys got the filet. As mentioned, I ordered the New York Strip with Garlic Mashed Potatoes. The New York Strip had a huge portabella mushroom covering the top of the steak. AWESOME! The aus ju sauce was flavorful and delicious. We ordered 2 of the rib appetizers and I have to be honest here: absolutely some of the best ribs I have ever had. The ribs fell off the bone and were just fabulous!!!!

The bar area is warm and inviting. I don't remember her name but the female bartender was super pleasant and friendly. She made great drinks and was terrific!

Overall, I can't recommend the Jackson Grill high enough. Whether you are going for a date, a business meeting or just going out with friends or family, the Jackson Grill is a unique little gem located near Miller Park. Make sure you get a reservation as the restaurant is very small with only about 8 tables total.

One other note: while we were sitting at our table, Jimmy the owner/chef came out and greeted us and asked us how our dinner was. Now, that's a class act! It just doesn't get any better than that!

This was my first visit to the Jackson Grill and I couldn't be more excited to go back to this fabulous little boutique restaurant. Don't miss the Jackson Grill if you get a chance. Also, some reviews had mentioned that the restaurant was pretty expensive. I totally disagree with this assessment as quality steaks are not cheap anywhere. The New York Strip I had was a 24 oz and was about $37.00 including soup or salad and bread. Very fair price to pay for top quality food and service!!

Thank you Jimmy for a great time at your restaurant! I can't wait to come back and visit as soon as possible.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We met another couple for dinner at Jackson Grill, and were all pleasantly surprised. The drinks, food and service were very good. The restaurant offers three seatings: 5:00 p.m., 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. We dined there on a Saturday, and the restaurant was at capacity, leaving some walk-in diners to eat in the bar area. The bar room is as large, if not larger, than the dining room which has ten or so tables in it. The menu features standard steakhouse and supper club fare. Each entree includes a choice of soup or salad and a side (i.e. broccoli, duck fat fries, garlic mashed potatoes, etc.) All members of our party enjoyed rib eye and tenderloin steaks that were expertly prepared. The steaks were charred on the outside (in a good way!), and perfectly done on the inside to each diner's specifications. We are a picky group, and everyone enjoyed the experience of Jackson Grill.

The neighborhood is close to Miller Park, and has a somewhat industrial feel (if approaching from Miller Parkway); however, the restaurant exudes supper club charm and warmth. We will return!

1  Thank PlaidTraveler
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Good steaks, traditional wisconsin feel, small northern diner enviornment. Good steaks, but not my favorite in the city like others have said. I've been here several times and enjoyed it, the prices are reasonably and the portions large. They make a pretty good ol'Fashion at the bar as well.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I heard about Jackson Grill from friends in Milwaukee. I knew about the closeness of the tables and that was just fine...I reserved a table two months in advance for my trip to Milwaukee from Florida...we arrived early and were promptly seated. We sat for over ten minutes before someone asked for our drink order. I asked to be moved - the table was under a cold air return and it was drafty - and the temperature was 10 degrees outside which made the draft very uncomfortable. My elderly mom, my friend and myself were VERY cold. Even though there were three other four-tops open we were told we could not move. Really? There should have been an effort made to honor our request. The brandy old fashioned's were excellent - the salad was great and my medium cooked New York Strip was very tasty - but thickly CHARRED on the outside - and I mean charred! The ribs were excellent! I was quite surprised to see a plastic tablecloth on the table - looked like something from Granny's house. Since the prices are so high the place could be updated easily, with money to spare. Will we return? Possibly - but you can go elsewhere with a much nicer atmosphere and equally awesome food for less money!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I love the atmosphere which is "old school supper club". They make a great cocktail and use quality ingredients. I really enjoyed my old fashioned and would recommend just stopping in for a drink. The Cajun shrimp appetizer was delicious and our steaks were perfectly prepared. The one oddity with our experience was determining the wine corkage fee. I brought a bottle of wine expecting to pay a standard fee. It appeared the fee was arbitrary since the server looked at our bottle of wine before giving us the fee which was $35. He returned later to ask about the retail value of the wine. This was extremely awkward since the whole reason I even brought the bottle to dinner was to share it with my friend who had given it to me. She was very gracious in describing the winery without mentioning the price and he was sharp enough not to press us. I advise calling in advance to make arrangements if you want to bring a special bottle of wine.