“Nice older hotel - great area”
Review of The Plaza Hotel

The Plaza Hotel
Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 28 July 2011

stayed here for a company outing to Miller Park. All of the other hotels were very expensive and was able to get this one at a pretty good rate. The rooms were crazy, very vintage. The only thing I was not super fond of was the stairs and they didn't put us on the same floor/wing as I had asked. however, the vintage features of the hotel were very cool, they have a little restaurant inside the hotel as well. The hotel is in a great area close to everything and very clean.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank chitowntink

Reviewed 28 June 2011

stayed during a return visit "home"; reminds me of small hotels in europe; never knew the Plaza existed while I lived in Milwakee - small, personal & a FABULOUS cafe - my niece & I had great lunch & the breakfast was great too! definetly will stay again next time home.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank dotsfave
Reviewed 31 March 2011

My wife and I had not stayed at the Plaza for some time. We were impressed with the refurbishing. Particularily with the effort to maintain the art deco look while modernizing the lobby & guest rooms. Our room was recently painted & had new soft goods.
Although we did not have a flat screen TV in our room, we saw that they were being installed in others. The Cafe has wonderful food, breakfast in particular.
We loved the area & location. There was no need to call for a taxi, as we could walk everywhere.

Room Tip: Reserve with the front desk or sales.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2011

My husband and I bid on this hotel at a prestigious benefit auction because of the description on the package and we love spending weekends in downtown Milwaukee. I loved the old world charm of the lobby and the cafe that is attached.
We found out that they only have a few rooms available for the "hotel portion" of the building. All the other units were rentals.
We were given a room at the end of a dark hall next to an outdoor stairwell which apparently is used for the many tenants who live above. The stairs were metal and it was noisy with much traffic all night long of drunk tenants using the stairway.
The room was very small, outdated and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. Stained carpet, dark, dingy and very surprised we bid on such a place. I wanted to go home in the middle of the night. I got no sleep at all.
Asked for an extra blanket since we could not control the room temperature. We were told the blankets were locked up in the basement and the desk clerk did not have access. The blanket the was on the bed was stained and the sheets were of very poor quality.
I can't believe we wasted our time and money on this weekend getaway. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bookbuddie
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My husband and I had a mini getaway at the Plaza in August. We love architecture and design from the 20's and 30's, so staying in this charming buliding from that era with its features such as leaded/stained glass windows, plaster and tile work and art-deco light fixtures was a great fit. The room itself was attractive, very clean and comfortable. The kitchenette featured a full refrigerator, an apartment stove, microwave, toaster, etc. and a pretty complete selecction of dinnerware and basic pots and pans. The bathroom was a little small, but that's normal for an older building. The staff was very nice and the price was right, too. Very reasonable.
The location is fantastic - you can easily walk to many restaurants, parks, churches, and the lakefront. There is also a large grocery store with a pharmacy right around the corner.
Don't miss breakfast at the Cafe - easily one of the best in the city!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RRW1970
Reviewed 15 June 2009

It is true that this hotel has charm/character. The bed was extremly uncomfortable. The bathroom has no counter space. The shower would become boiling with no notice. The window was out of order. The kitchen was awkward. The cable had been strung haphazard throughout the room and tacked to the wall. We paid 109.per night plus tax. My boyfriend was bitten by some sort of bugs that produced a rash. We will spend a few dollars more and get a room without these problems. Ask yourself before you book your room have I seen photos? Do I wish to stay in a hotel/apartment building? What is a hotel/apartment building ? How does that work? Who lives there ?

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MorganFair
Reviewed 17 August 2008

plenty of residents living there full-time. nice little cafe for a very good breakfast and the front desk gives you a $2.50 off coupon per person. funky atmosphere-front desk very helpful, even suggesting we take our bicycles into our room. also gave us the phone number for the bus company. walked to the lake--gorgeous and quiet on a weekday. we'd stay there again for the price and location.

Stayed: July 2008